UFC 207

Kickboxer101

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Almost impossible to train a Judo athlete that has done it all her life and turn her into a world class striker. Probably not going to happen. Buka hits a lot in his post above that is very accurate.

Still, the sport is evolving and Rhonda has good attributes but not great compared to other female athletes out there. Those athletes are also weight training to enhance their attributes which Rhonda does not. They are also probably using performance enhancing drugs, etc. Which Rhonda may or may not be using.

She was absolutely great until she was exposed by Holly Holmes. Now the blue print is too simply not rush in until you have popped her in the face a few times. After the beating she received from Holly any time going forward that she gets popped she may mentally wilt. Attributes, game plan and psyche are a big part of why certain athletes win. Personally, I hope she retires because the better ladies in this division may have a field day with her going forward.

No maybe not world class but maybe at least look like she's ever taken a boxing class my 8 year old cousin throws better punches and he doesn't train any martial arts

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I pray she never fights again. The MMA game, which is still in it's infancy, has been evolving at a pace very few active fighters can actually keep up with for very long.

Ronda's time has passed. And once you become a fighter with a blueprint out on you, you need to seek out other things. Right quick, too.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I pray she never fights again.
She would be ok if she actually trained with a coach that actually cares about her. I'm surprised she didn't train with some of the BJJ guys who are good with getting in on those punches. I don't think it's a good idea for her to fight at such a high skill level professionally until she get some time against some lower skill competitors.

But if she's just going to train with the same coach then she should give it up completely. Not sure if anyone has seen this video yet but it's her coach doing Wushu
When your coach says that he's going to do a Wushu form and it's the "Highest Form" (see:0:38) then he goes into saying that wushu's fighting system is Sanshou fighting and that the forms are very difficult to do. That, my friend, is a red flag. When you hear some crap like that your brain should be like:
images

Kickboxer101

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
She would be ok if she actually trained with a coach that actually cares about her. I'm surprised she didn't train with some of the BJJ guys who are good with getting in on those punches. I don't think it's a good idea for her to fight at such a high skill level professionally until she get some time against some lower skill competitors.

But if she's just going to train with the same coach then she should give it up completely. Not sure if anyone has seen this video yet but it's her coach doing Wushu
When your coach says that he's going to do a Wushu form and it's the "Highest Form" (see:0:38) then he goes into saying that wushu's fighting system is Sanshou fighting and that the forms are very difficult to do. That, my friend, is a red flag. When you hear some crap like that your brain should be like:
images
Thing is rouseys so arrogant she wouldn't train with anyone better. She gets told she's doing something wrong she'll walk away in a strop. That's why she trains with that clown because he's a yes man who tells her what she wants to hear

Kickboxer101

Master Black Belt
Reaction score

images
Also just to really show how dumb her coach is I just saw a video from a while of him saying he can beat Jose Aldo in a fight

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Thing is rouseys so arrogant she wouldn't train with anyone better. She gets told she's doing something wrong she'll walk away in a strop. That's why she trains with that clown because he's a yes man who tells her what she wants to hear
I can't argue with that perspective. I know how I am with training Kung Fu. If a student doesn't want to listen then I won't waist my time. I'm even willing to let the student learn the hard way or not learn at all.

I read that she doesn't have the best of attitudes and I saw an interview where she was saying that she didn't want to listen to people when they told her to join a winning team (winning coach+winning training). She stated that she want a winning team built around her. I wish I would have bookmarked that video but it was in reference to the explanation of why she decided to work with her current trainer. When I heard that, I was floored,because who thinks like that.

No one trains martial arts and says. I'm not going to go to a good school because I want a good school built around me. That perspective is a really big problem for anything in life.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Also just to really show how dumb her coach is I just saw a video from a while of him saying he can beat Jose Aldo in a fight
have you seen how he fights? He's not a good fighter. Rousey kicks just like he kicks. I saw her coach in a MMA fight and a Muay Thai fight and it was horrible. He won both fights, but he wasn't fighting anyone with real skill. For example, in the Muay Thai fight he was able to keep his opponent away from him, simply by extending his arms.

Kickboxer101

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
have you seen how he fights? He's not a good fighter. Rousey kicks just like he kicks. I saw her coach in a MMA fight and a Muay Thai fight and it was horrible. He won both fights, but he wasn't fighting anyone with real skill. For example, in the Muay Thai fight he was able to keep his opponent away from him, simply by extending his arms.
Take a read of rouseys book the guy doesn't even let her kick. Whenever she throws a kick he tells her off saying "you're not a kicker don't kick"

Kickboxer101

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I can't argue with that perspective. I know how I am with training Kung Fu. If a student doesn't want to listen then I won't waist my time. I'm even willing to let the student learn the hard way or not learn at all.

I read that she doesn't have the best of attitudes and I saw an interview where she was saying that she didn't want to listen to people when they told her to join a winning team (winning coach+winning training). She stated that she want a winning team built around her. I wish I would have bookmarked that video but it was in reference to the explanation of why she decided to work with her current trainer. When I heard that, I was floored,because who thinks like that.

No one trains martial arts and says. I'm not going to go to a good school because I want a good school built around me. That perspective is a really big problem for anything in life.

The only reason she started training there was because of manny gamburian suggesting the place. Now no offence but he's probably not the best guy to give advice on where to train for a good career

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In the early days of MMA everyone came from a single style and had to learn another and mix it up. some people had trained more than one style anyway but there were no competitions for that. Rousey I consider had it the easier way coming from Judo, learning to breakfall as an adult is far harder than learning to strike, I speak from experience lol. I still can't breakfall on my own, only when thrown. We knew as we went along that the people coming up would learn MMA as a whole, an integrated system and it has turned out to be like that. It was inevitable that the younger up and coming fighters would be the true all rounders rather than us coming from one style and learning others. That said there are plenty of fighters who came from either a striking or ground background who picked up the other skills needed easily enough, that 'easy' of course takes hard work, a lot of hard work in the right place with the right coaches.
In many sports you'll find people who could do better sticking with coaches they trust but who aren't doing the right thing do them, I've also seen people find new coaches and do really well, Sir Andy Murray ( he was knighted this week) in tennis comes to mind, this is from 2015 and the difference can be seen as he's now number one. Sacking friends and people you trust can be very difficult but has to be done if it's not making you the best you can be, there is the thing too that you are employing them, they aren't just doing it as a favour. Andy Murray exclusive: Why my coaching team had to change
I'm not a Rousey fan, never have been, probably the more so because of the insults people throw at you for not liking her but while I wanted to see her lose I did not want to see her humiliated, that's not good for WMMA or MMA in general.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
while I wanted to see her lose I did not want to see her humiliated, that's not good for WMMA or MMA in general.
I think she's safe from being humiliated. It went beyond humiliation which is a good thing. That beating was so bad that people felt sorry for her, not because she lost but because she didn't show the skill that a professional fighter should be able to show.

The way people put down her coach (including me) make her look inexperienced in a wide range of areas. It's like a child stepped into the ring and people are more upset about her coach putting her in that situation than about her losing. It's almost like MMA child neglect lol.

Kickboxer101

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I think she's safe from being humiliated. It went beyond humiliation which is a good thing. That beating was so bad that people felt sorry for her, not because she lost but because she didn't show the skill that a professional fighter should be able to show.

The way people put down her coach (including me) make her look inexperienced in a wide range of areas. It's like a child stepped into the ring and people are more upset about her coach putting her in that situation than about her losing. It's almost like MMA child neglect lol.
Well tbh rouseys completely finished. Everyone's saying oh she'll go and do acting. Well no she won't because the only reason she got the roles because she was champion and looked like a world beater. Her acting ability is terrible maybe even worse than her boxing ability. I mean her biggest was the expendables hardly a group of amazing actors either so she did alright. But she won't do anything in acting hell they kicked out of a role she already had a while because she wasn't good enough.

Also the hype she had was so much I mean look at this she made it into ring magazime asking if she was going to conquer boxing next....yeah that's never going to happen lol

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 201

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Well tbh rouseys completely finished. Everyone's saying oh she'll go and do acting. Well no she won't because the only reason she got the roles because she was champion and looked like a world beater. Her acting ability is terrible maybe even worse than her boxing ability. I mean her biggest was the expendables hardly a group of amazing actors either so she did alright. But she won't do anything in acting hell they kicked out of a role she already had a while because she wasn't good enough.

Also the hype she had was so much I mean look at this she made it into ring magazime asking if she was going to conquer boxing next....yeah that's never going to happen lol
At this point I don't have an idea of what she'll do. She has an opportunity make a comeback, maybe not as the champion but as a top competitor, provided that she gets rid of her trainer and changes her attitude. If she can't do those 2 things then she should do what her mom and others suggest; retire.

I never knew why she was so famous. I'm not hating on her success. I'm glad she inspired women to fight MMA or to at least understand that they have the talent to fight. Half of my students are female and that's a good thing. Hopefully there are a group of women who look up to Nunes and are inspired.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
I really have no idea what's going on with Rousey. Clearly she has lost quite a step or two mentally. Really a shame to see such an amazing fighter fall apart back to back.

Oh well, we still have Angela Lee and Mackenzie Dern.
Just saw this thread and no rousey was as good as she ever was. Her boxing has always been poor but she's gotten away with it in the past. Her opponents are simply better now

Latest Discussions