UFC 194 Who Do You Have???

Dinkydoo

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Aldo looked too tense to fight. McGregor slips the first punch and knocks him out with a lead hook.

Crazy

13 seconds

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Surprised. Despite wanting Conor to win, did not think this was his time. Aldo could have continued as it seemed to look, but looks like a rematch for sure.

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I think I enjoyed that Chris Weidman beat down a little too much.

Something about that guy just annoys the piss out of me.

nordin

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I think I enjoyed that Chris Weidman beat down a little too much.

Something about that guy just annoys the piss out of me.

You know, me too. Chris is overall nice talented guy and I'm sure he will win some more great opponents, BUT there are certain things about him that are perceived in a very distorted manner. They say he is unappreciated. Not true, actually he is very appreciated.
For example they say his stand up and striking is up there with the greats. Not true. He has a very good control of distance to avoid fighting when he don't want it plus great takedowns via double our clinch to threaten strikers meanwhile sneaking in some good shots. But then you see how in Rockhold, Machida and Vitor (some other too I can't recall names) fights when he can't clinch and have to work under fire, he just covers up stands against wall and WAITS until they get tired punching.
Second, he actually willingly doesn't take any risk to finish fights. In first Silva fight, yes, he won fair and square, but it was all Silva making openings(only this time on the receiving end) to finish the fight not Weidman. That's why I liked Silva style, he isn't offensive type, but prioritized FINISHES. So he put out his chin and let you try to catch him if you can. That is not disrespect against opponent; that is a high risk-reward low guard approach that let Silva finish his opponents or get finished. How often do we see guys dancing around doing "I hit- you block; you hit- I block'' for 5 rounds and that is called respectful? Against who? Viewers who come to watch FIGHT? And that was true for Rockhold fight too. Chris wasn't looking to damage Luke up until 3rd round, just stop his offense be in dominant position and wait and his corner was praising him for that. So his biggest finishes of Silva and Vitor(both 38) were built on their willingness to risk and try to get finish. When opponent is ready to do point fighting like Lyoto or Luke (although both worked harder then Weidman to finish anyway) fights are let's say lackluster. That's why I like guys like Souza, Pettis, Silva, Connor, Werdum, Santos etc. There is a big difference between brawling and stalling, and avoiding first doesn't mean second.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I thought Weidman v Rockhold was a great fight. I don't have a problem with either guy, but I do think Rockhold was just a little bit better at every range and was winning the fight by an edge up until Weidman tried to go for that spinning heel kick (or whatever fancy-schmancy kick he tried to throw). Rockhold took advantage and did a tremendous amount of damage, which set the stage for the rest of the fight.

Dinkydoo

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Does anyone think Aldo should get an immediate rematch?

I think he probably deserves it more than Rousey deserves hers. Not taking anything away from McGregor, although putting yourself in a position to get knocked out by a single punch when you're fresh is really careless, it can happen to anyone and it isn't always representative of the skill gap that exists between the two fighters.

It's tougher to see any other outcome of a rematch where one fighter has been lit up for 1.5 rounds, for example.

Personally, I don't think Aldo should get an immediate rematch. He was pretty nervous looking on the night and was really careless in the lead up to being knocked out - which isn't the behaviour of a champion. I'd like to see Aldo fight (and win) twice in the next 8 months before facing Conor again - Edgar being one of them

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I think it had to do with where McGregor was living at that time.

Which was right there in Aldo's head.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Edgar makes the most sense as a next fight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dinkydoo

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I think it had to do with where McGregor was living at that time.

Which was right there in Aldo's head.
Definitely.

I was really surprised by him stealing Conor's karate stance at the weigh-ins and thought that maybe he'd somehow managed to get the last laugh after all the smack-talking that's been going on for what seems like forever.

Fast forward to the entrance before the fight and Aldo looked anxious as hell, like he'd rather have been anywhere else but there.

The pressure got to him for sure

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Definitely.

I was really surprised by him stealing Conor's karate stance at the weigh-ins and thought that maybe he'd somehow managed to get the last laugh after all the smack-talking that's been going on for what seems like forever.

Fast forward to the entrance before the fight and Aldo looked anxious as hell, like he'd rather have been anywhere else but there.

The pressure got to him for sure

I think that when you're not used to being disrespected or bullied, and then are constantly disrespected and bullied in a very public, media covered situation, it can get to you and throw off your state of mind. Good job by McGregor I guess.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I think that when you're not used to being disrespected or bullied, and then are constantly disrespected and bullied in a very public, media covered situation, it can get to you and throw off your state of mind. Good job by McGregor I guess.
I still think McGregor is a putz, and that the Irish should disown him as an embarrassment. :)

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I still think McGregor is a putz, and that the Irish should disown him as an embarrassment. :)

I think he's a putz, too. I so wanted him to get knocked out. Of, course, I don't know what that says about me, wishing for a fighter I've never met to get ko'd.
But, I'm still going to wish it going forward. :)