UFC 193

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
\
Incidentally, I'm a big Ronda fan. I appreciate her aggressive, sport champion mindset.... As a rule... useless against a mentally disciplined opponent like me. I owe Holm my support for proving that unequivocally....

Can't say she proved that. Not so sure what kind of fan you are when
\
\
I don't see HOnda taking karate right now.

....you keep calling her a "Ho," and thinking no one notices......:rolleyes:

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here's some sanctioned sport karate. Wonder how HOlm (her footwork) would fare against female karateka's doing this?
\
Holm was asked @ aRousey Post-fight interview... if she believed she had the skills to take on Machida. Well here's some female karate competitors... Machida point fighting style.... some nice tactics by Ms. Brunette Ponytail...
\
Sport karate closing-the-distance. Ja Gow... The hands down guard seen here also dis-proves your intuitive thinking about hands up guard being quicker necessarily....

That's not sparring that's playing. Sports karate is nothing close to MMA, it isn't even close to proper karate!

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can't say she proved that. Not so sure what kind of fan you are when
\

....you keep calling her a "Ho," and thinking no one notices......:rolleyes:

He does it with 'HOlm' as well.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Here's some sanctioned sport karate. Wonder how HOlm (her footwork) would fare against female karateka's doing this?
\
Holm was asked @ aRousey Post-fight interview... if she believed she had the skills to take on Machida. Well here's some female karate competitors... Machida point fighting style.... some nice tactics by Ms. Brunette Ponytail...
\
Sport karate closing-the-distance. Ja Gow... The hands down guard seen here also dis-proves your intuitive thinking about hands up guard being quicker necessarily....
I'll tell you how I'll handle it.
1. Take the body hit and deliver a stronger hit to the face then give 5 other punches
2. Sweep my opponent while all of that jumping up and down is going on.
3. Redirect the punch and then punch my opponent in the face then give 5 other punches.
4. Take the body hit and hit my opponent in the face while she's celebrating her point score.

All of the tactics that are shown in the video are very wrong for MMA or real fighting. It works for point sparring which is why you only see it in point sparring. Things like turning your back on your opponent is bad habit. Jumping up and down is bad root and you can only move when you are on the ground. I did this with a student and I was able to time his hop so that I could take advantage of him being in the air. If you play it in slow motion you'll see just how those hops actually delays the increases the reaction time. They are also punching without defending. There are no parries and blocks against the punches.

ShotoNoob.. Here's my ultimate truth. If my opponent has his or her hands down, then I'm going to hit or kick them in the face.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
It would be rude not to! :D
Very rude.
In my school we say. "If you get punched in the face then it's your fault because you should have blocked it." The funny part about it is that we no longer feel bad about hitting someone in the face; he/she should have blocked it. lol.

OP
Dinkydoo

Dinkydoo

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Very rude.
In my school we say. "If you get punched in the face then it's your fault because you should have blocked it." The funny part about it is that we no longer feel bad about hitting someone in the face; he/she should have blocked it. lol.
I've even found myself apologising to my training partner at times like this - "Crap, sorry I should have blocked that" :D

kuniggety

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score

JowGa hit it on the head pretty good but that video was awful if you're trying to say that is how someone should fight in MMA. They have zero base... They're basically asking for a grappler to take them to the ground. Hands down is never a good idea in a real fight. Some "sport" fighters put them down to bait as the real points usually come from the kicks (notice the number of high kicks used which would be terrible in MMA). Think of fencing. They don't stand there with their blade to the side. Why? Because it takes much longer for them to swing their arm/blade than it does for a flick of a wrist to parry.

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
\
HOnda is a nickname ronda has been given by MMA fans.... Kinda catchy, don't you think...???
Ah.
So what is with HO. Distasteful.

\
Right Danny. I will qualify your reply a bit further in that she ("Honda") looks good in practice with Edmond. Transition to the Ocatagon against RESISTING OPPONENT... she goes downhill... degenerates often to brawling. So do most of the MMA competitors (strikers & grapplers) we see publicly.... Jai Harman no.... his striking was very good.... Gave you a thumbs up on your MMA striking, Jai....
Actually her striking doesn't look good... even with her coach. A lot of holes in her fundamentals.

\
Danny, now you're talking to your students.... but good lesson no doubt....
Huh..., No. I was writing to the people here. Had nothing to do with my students at all.
Plain and simple either Rhonda will either learn from this and make changes or she will loose again.

\
I think Ronda could step up her striking a long way by studying under Jai Harman..... and he has a mixed striking style resume to boot. Make sense....?
Not until Jai learns to close the huge holes in his striking style. He continues to strike in the manner he does he won't go far in fight sports competition.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
JowGa hit it on the head pretty good but that video was awful if you're trying to say that is how someone should fight in MMA. They have zero base... They're basically asking for a grappler to take them to the ground. Hands down is never a good idea in a real fight. Some "sport" fighters put them down to bait as the real points usually come from the kicks (notice the number of high kicks used which would be terrible in MMA). Think of fencing. They don't stand there with their blade to the side. Why? Because it takes much longer for them to swing their arm/blade than it does for a flick of a wrist to parry.
Because it takes much longer for them to swing their arm
You are so correct about how much longer it takes. One would think that the position from hand down to hands up blocking wouldn't be a big difference but when looking at time that it takes in 10ths of a second. 1/10th of a second could be the difference between blocking a head shot and getting knocked out by one. I often watch fight videos in slow motion to see just how fast attacks are and how slow reactions times are in relation to the attack.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Ah.
So what is with HO. Distasteful.

Actually her striking doesn't look good... even with her coach. A lot of holes in her fundamentals.

Huh..., No. I was writing to the people here. Had nothing to do with my students at all.
Plain and simple either Rhonda will either learn from this and make changes or she will loose again.

Not until Jai learns to close the huge holes in his striking style. He continues to strike in the manner he does he won't go far in fight sports competition.
Did I read correctly? Rousey is being compared to Jai Harman. Even Jai would think "that's crazy." Out of all of the superior strikers out there it's Jai that would greatly increase Rousey's sparring ability? Holm would knock Jai out so I definitely don't think Jai is the go to person for striking lessons lol. I thought Shotonoob didn't think highly of Jai Harman.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
She doesn't like it.

Used to live in her Honda Accord. That's where it comes from.

So, no. Not so catchy.
Whenever I've heard it, it's a nod to her grappling skills and the Brazilian way of pronouncing the 'R' in one's name (e.g. Royce, Rickson, Renzo)

Most MMA fans would have no idea she ever lived in her car.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Very rude.

Tongue firmly in cheek, we always used to say, blocking's for pussies.

Koshiki

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Tongue firmly in cheek, we always used to say, blocking's for pussies.

We always call it a secret black belt technique, the "Tao Face Block." Prevents undue wear and tear on the hands and arms, which as we know, are essential in striking and grappling.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Dana White says the rematch will be the next fight in that division.
I think it's an all around bad idea. Any thoughts?

Dana White: Ronda Rousey is definitely getting an immediate rematch against Holly Holm
It's a business and they want to do a rematch while the fight is still hot. Rousey needs to get a new coach and work on some other skill sets, like kicking. My guess is that kicking doesn't come natural for her. If this is correct, then I'm not sure if she'll have enough time to learn how to kick. Some people just aren't coordinated which means it could literally take a year to learn how to kick with any significant speed and power. Hopefully she'll get a boxing coach to help her work on her defense. I'll give that a year as well.
Anything less than that is going to just put Rousey in the same situation that she was when she lost.

She doesn't have the same footwork and foot speed which means she'll need to learn how to fight smarter.

OP
Dinkydoo

Dinkydoo

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Unless RR changes her strategy and HH's takedown defence isn't on point, an immediate rematch will likely end the same way - there just isn't enough time to make up the difference in striking there is between the two fighters in ~ 3 months.

I would be really impressed if RR managed to find holes in HH's game that allowed her to change the range of the fight without taking lots of shots to the head - I'd have to put money on Rousey finishing Holm by submission in that scenario.

On first hearing this I thought "Aw no, a big money spinner that will probably signal the end for RR in UFC after being soundly beaten twice in a row" ... but now, I think it might be interesting.

Latest Discussions