UFC 104 Barry interview: Learning on the job, is he ready?

Clark Kent

<B>News Bot</B>
Reaction score
10-23-2009 03:30 PM:

The dude has a vicious reputation as a striker but he is trying to learn the rest of the mixed martial arts game on the quick. We're not talking about Kimbo Slice. It's kickboxer extraordinaire Pat Barry. Barry, 30, is making the transition from an exclusive stand-up fighter to a guy who needs to add ground skills and submission defense. He failed terribly at UFC 98 when Tim Hague slapped on a guillotine choke to finish the fight. Barry is taking his lumps in the gym:

"I've been sticking with it," Barry told Cagewriter. "The more I get submitted, the more I get taken down, the more I get smashed around, the better I get."

Barry said his ground and submission defense skills are better than people think, he just panicked in the fight against Hague. The key is staying relaxed when things get dangerous.

Barry (4-1, 1-1 UFC) faces UFC veteran and old friend in Antoni Hardonk (8-5, 3-3 UFC). They were training partners for four years in Amsterdam. Fighting a friend won't be a problem:

"I don't mind that we're friends. Who would you be more intimidated getting in the ring versus, some big guy you've never seen before? Or you're younger brother? The nerves still there but I feel more comfortable getting in there against someone I know."

Barry thinks that Hardonk's wrestling is suspect saying that he's not a takedown guy. The Barry-Hardonk fight will be featured during Spike's UFC 104 freeview leading in the pay-per-view.

More...
Yahoo! Sports.
Cagewriter is an MMA blog edited by Steve Cofield.

Latest Discussions