'U' shaped block.

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
So, U shaped block...

Specifically the one detailed as the final two moves in Joong-Gun tul.

In 'my' school, and in many other references I've found, it's "Digutja Makgi".

In the copy of the encyclopedia I have (old version) it's referred to as "Mongdung-i Makgi" in the tul description (vol 9) and in the defensive hand techniques (vol 3).

In punching techniques (also vol 3) there is a 'U' shaped punch called "Digutja Jirugi" which is ostensibly the same posture, but using an apjoomuk offence rather than sonkal dung defence...

So, question(s)...

Was Mongdung-i Makgi renamed or are Mongdung-i Makgi and Digutja Makgi separate techniques?

If it was renamed, when and possibly why (to satisfy my TKD geek)?

If they're different, in what way do they differ?

(I'm planning to ask at class next time there's time, hopefully tonight - but it'd be interesting to see if there's any variation in explanation.)

Oh, and anyone have a reliable source of how they're written in hangul?

I may have more language questions later ;)

Metal

Green Belt
Reaction score
In Kukkiwon Taekwondo we also have Digeutja Jireugi, in Hangeul I think it’s 디극자지르기 or short ㄷ지르기.

The Hangeul letter ㄷ is called Digeut/디귿.

Reactions: pdg
OP
P

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
I hadn't made the connection with 'digeut' before - both the punch and the block are digeut ㄷ shaped ;)

A lot of what I'm doing is reverse converting the romanisation of the original - so a conversion of a conversion... The biggest problem there is that rarely works well when the initial conversion isn't consistent.

Finding much of use is difficult really...

I've seen it romanised both ways (digutja and digeutja - as well as digeutcha and digudja and other variants) - doing any form of conversion with that is nigh on impossible given they've all got different (or no) meaning.

Having:

think it’s 디극자

is interesting, the 'standardised' romanisation of that would be 'digeugja' or possibly 'tikeukja' or a combination if the letters are taken in isolation without knowing the pronunciation that's trying to be conveyed.

Using the same 'standardised' set, "digeutja" would be more like 디귿자

Of course, this all stemmed from me wanting to know what the pronunciation should be in the first place :confused:

Metal

Green Belt
Reaction score
I've seen it romanised both ways (digutja and digeutja - as well as digeutcha and digudja and other variants) - doing any form of conversion with that is nigh on impossible given they've all got different (or no) meaning.

[...]

Using the same 'standardised' set, "digeutja" would be more like 디귿자

It is indeed 디귿자 - It was either a typo or my phone autocorrecting.

I always try to stick to the Revised Romanization. I prefer it since it’s the official system nowadays and a lot of people who used the McCune System don’t use the apostrophes and other additional signs and therefore make it hard to read and understand.

Anyway, so I would romanize Di-geut-ja. See pics of the Kukkiwon Textbook and from a TKD-vocabulary list I got when I was a kid.

Unfortunately I didn’t have the time to check my Choi Hong Hi books for that technique and the block you were talking about yet.

20F02E0A-D512-4679-B719-AAFFFA999340.jpeg
58649FDE-B736-4835-819E-31CEC96428B1.jpeg

OP
P

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
I always try to stick to the Revised Romanization. I prefer it since it’s the official system nowadays and a lot of people who used the McCune System don’t use the apostrophes and other additional signs and therefore make it hard to read and understand.

It'd be nice to stick to one system :D

All I currently have for reference material is the Choi encyclopedia (English and romanised) and whatever I can find on the internet... I have a student handbook too, but that's pretty much extremely condensed excerpts and rewrites from the encyclopedia - basically the bare minimum required for grade tests up to 1st kup.

From encyclopedia:

Screenshot_20180307-222545.png

Screenshot_20180307-222625.png

Let me know if the thumbnails don't enlarge in a reasonable fashion and I'll repost...

OP
P

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
@Metal - I have to thank you.

The little snippet you showed allowed me to find an extra part of a direction of study - most useful.

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
. I have a student handbook too, but that's pretty much extremely condensed excerpts and rewrites from the encyclopedia - basically the bare minimum required for grade tests up to 1st kup.

From what organization is the Handbook?

OP
P

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
From what organization is the Handbook?

As in publisher or where it's derived from?

Credit in the front cites that the information is derived from 5th ed CHH encyclopedia...

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
As in publisher or where it's derived from?

Credit in the front cites that the information is derived from 5th ed CHH encyclopedia...

Who or what group created the "Student Handbook" I understand source material is the "Encyclopedia"