Two questions.

OP
Rabbitthekitten

Rabbitthekitten

Blue Belt
Reaction score
You can practice in pretty much no space at all. You just have to shuffle your feet rather than step forward into stances. It's not perfect, but it works.
My wife and I do a lot of SCUBA diving. If we're going someplace in winter or early spring, when you KNOW we haven't been out in the sun here in Colorado, I will use a standup tanning booth to prevent burning. I spend the time in that booth practicing forms. No, I cannot extend kicks or punches, but it still helps.

Don't do that. Most places I've been, you're mostly in some variety of ready stance when you're not actually moving. There are very few ready stances that have the feet together.

Ok. I'll try that. Also I won't keep my feet together, I'll just try to get it right.

There's a town near me (North Carolina, USA) named Leicester. I don't think it would be a good option there, either.

My word. :D Ok I don't work for the Leicester tourist board or anything but it is a nice city! :D Honestly!

Leicester - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Leicestershire - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok. I'll try that. Also I won't keep my feet together, I'll just try to get it right.

My word. :D Ok I don't work for the Leicester tourist board or anything but it is a nice city! :D Honestly!

Leicester - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Leicestershire - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
It's not a bad place here, either, but it's very rural, and public MA would probably just get some occasional heckling from the folks walking by - the occasional shouted "HEEE-YAH!"

Which brings me to an important and highly relevant question. How is "Leicester" pronounced over there?

OP
Rabbitthekitten

Rabbitthekitten

Blue Belt
Reaction score
It's not a bad place here, either, but it's very rural, and public MA would probably just get some occasional heckling from the folks walking by - the occasional shouted "HEEE-YAH!"

Which brings me to an important and highly relevant question. How is "Leicester" pronounced over there?

The locals pronounce it "Les-tah".

Most other people pronounce it "Lester".

I heard Katy Perry try to say it once. She hesitated and said "Lie-Chester?" :D

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Get yourself across to Leicester Shootfighters lol, top rate club and really good instructors. Nathan Leverton their head coach is probably the best coach in the UK as ell as being a top guy, very helpful. He's trained some of the top MMA and BJJ people, Andre Winner is one of his top students. :)

OP
Rabbitthekitten

Rabbitthekitten

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Get yourself across to Leicester Shootfighters lol, top rate club and really good instructors. Nathan Leverton their head coach is probably the best coach in the UK as ell as being a top guy, very helpful. He's trained some of the top MMA and BJJ people, Andre Winner is one of his top students. :)

I'll look into it. Wouldn't it mess with my taekwondo though doing something else? Especially early on. I know BJJ is a completely different style but still.... :D

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
OP
Rabbitthekitten

Rabbitthekitten

Blue Belt
Reaction score
BJJ is a very good 'companion' martial art for karate and TKD, it won't interfere as it's very different. Worth a try and they are doing a course for beginners to try it and see how they feel. Intro to Jiu Jitsu 6 Week Beginners Course - Leicester

I know the club, I walk past it on the way to the gym. I'd look into it. I wouldn't be able to do that course because of work, I'd only be able to attend half of the classes. But it's something I'd definitely look into.

WaterGal

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Not so much etiquette but it is my pet hate...don't chew gum while training!

Just an aside...does anyone else always bow when entering somewhere people are training martial arts whatever style or for whatever reason you are there? For me it's second nature now.

I do a HIIT-type workout class at the gym twice a week, and the first couple times I took the class, I had to restrain myself from bowing when I entered the room. :oops: Definitely habit/second nature at this point.

OP
Rabbitthekitten

Rabbitthekitten

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I do a HIIT-type workout class at the gym twice a week, and the first couple times I took the class, I had to restrain myself from bowing when I entered the room. :oops: Definitely habit/second nature at this point.

My PT makes me HIIT type stuff during my circuits. I hate it. :D

Balrog

Master of Arts
Reaction score
It won't be proper for you to bow to any foreign flag even if that foreign flag is on the wall of your MA school.
In our school, we have three flags: US, S. Korean, and ATA. We bow to the flags to show respect to the US for the freedom to practice, Korean to show respect as Taekwondo's homeland, and of course, the ATA is our organization.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I have two questions.

Firstly Dojang etiquette. What are the basics? Because it's slightly confusing on so many levels to some new like myself.

Secondly. Patterns. How do you learn them. I know repetition goes a long way but is that all there is to it? No special tricks or anything? :)
Anybody higher in rank is called Sir or ma'am, counts twice for Black belts (but then, I am Southern, I call everybody Sir or Ma'am)

It's never bad to bow to ask the instructor to enter the floor, or to bow to him/her and to the front.

be on time (early, warmed up, dressed accordingly, etc)

Be respectful at all times (well, because it's free)

Take the lead from senior belts, whether or not shoes are worn (in our school it was barefoot)

As to forms, you learn them one part at a time. Some advanced forms are more complex, but as you learn and understand what you are doing, each subsequent form becomes easier to learn. Eventually you get to a point where you can't perform one move without the logical follow up, which is kind of the point of forms, to commit elements to muscle memory, so when the rubber meets the road, you don't have to think, but follow a block with a punch.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
teacher < father < country < earth < heaven

During WWII, if you are an US citizen and train Karate, would you bow to the Japanese flag if that Japanese flag was on the wall of your Karate school?
well, hat's been in the past for over 70 years now, time to move on.

msmitht

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
BJJ is a very good 'companion' martial art for karate and TKD, it won't interfere as it's very different. Worth a try and they are doing a course for beginners to try it and see how they feel.
I would not call it a companion art. It's Self defense is practical and works without hitting your opponent. Worth more than a try...

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would not call it a companion art. It's Self defense is practical and works without hitting your opponent. Worth more than a try...
I think you misunderstand the term "companion art". That just means it pairs well with whatever other art is mentioned, not that it can't function on its own. In this context, Tez was saying BJJ pairs well with striking arts, because it fills some gaps for them.

And there's nothing wrong with saying something is "worth a try". That's a positive statement about the value.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score

'Companion' is in inverted commas......................

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I think you misunderstand the term "companion art". That just means it pairs well with whatever other art is mentioned, not that it can't function on its own. In this context, Tez was saying BJJ pairs well with striking arts, because it fills some gaps for them.

And there's nothing wrong with saying something is "worth a try". That's a positive statement about the value.
At any rate, you need a comma after, "Term". :)