Two minutes and twelve seconds of ignominious fail

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Like Bill, I participated in my first tournament Saturday the 22d.
Also like Bill, I lost. I was in the 36 and older Black Belt division. I was by a decade or so, the junior Black Belt in the division.
Going into this I figured the best case scenario would be a few guys, who, like me, got into Karate relatively late in life, and the worst case would be, a half dozen guys, who, like my sifu, have been doing this, and competing for years.
So, I got matched up with this very nice TALL skinny guy, and then I lost, gracefully, I hope.
I bought a Flip Camera about a year ago, I got a great deal on it, $25 brand new, and never used it until today.
So, for your viewing pleasure, or something, my first tournament sparring experience.

OP
Big Don

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I liked Bill's line, so, I shamelessly stole it.

72ronin

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Awesome.
Damn point sparring, you won that man, i saw his head fly off at .50 min mark :)
Full-contact and you would have destroyed him.

cheers

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Nothing ignominious about trying something for the first time and giving it your best shot, Don. My compliments.

I do agree on the negative aspects of 'point scoring' physical contests tho', as Ronin noted above. It's one reason why I've never been drawn into the 'live RP' sword-fighting 'scene'. To keep it safe, the strength of blows and the allowed targets are so restricted as to make it pointless {Yeah! Double-meanming pun-attack :D}.

Bruno@MT

Senior Master
Reaction score
At least you tried. I still remember the first tournament I participated in.
I had no idea what to expect, and was slightly naive in how I would do.
2 times a couple of minutes of epic fail was the result. Since this was in 1997 or so, there is luckily no video footage of me getting pasted. :)

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
You move fast for a big guy. Definitely had him moving back and off balance.
icon7.gif
Nice job!!

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Like Bill, I participated in my first tournament Saturday the 22d.
Also like Bill, I lost. I was in the 36 and older Black Belt division. I was by a decade or so, the junior Black Belt in the division.
Going into this I figured the best case scenario would be a few guys, who, like me, got into Karate relatively late in life, and the worst case would be, a half dozen guys, who, like my sifu, have been doing this, and competing for years.
So, I got matched up with this very nice TALL skinny guy, and then I lost, gracefully, I hope.
I bought a Flip Camera about a year ago, I got a great deal on it, $25 brand new, and never used it until today.
So, for your viewing pleasure, or something, my first tournament sparring experience.

You have my respect, sir. A fine effort, and as others stated, you rockem-sockem'd his noggin; points made the total, but you were far from failing. In a fight, you'd have jetted off his head.

Yoshin9

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Fighting is a tournament is a bit different than sparing in class, but you don't learn if you don't play, so well done sir! I am not a fan of point sparing because it's hard to get a good game on with the ref constantly interrupting your flow.

I remember a Shootfighting tournament where the guy took me down three times the same way and I couldn't figure it out. After a while though you look at your "failures" and see what's happening and learn how to counter it, then you move on to your next failure.

Archangel M

Senior Master
Reaction score
How did point sparring become so popular? What does it really prove?

OP
Big Don

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
It was a good experience, I'm glad I did it once. I didn't know I took his headgear off until I got home and watched the video. Thanks everyone for your comments.

OP
Big Don

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Awesome.
Damn point sparring, you won that man, i saw his head fly off at .50 min mark :)
Full-contact and you would have destroyed him.

cheers
I don't know, dude had a lot of reach.

OP
Big Don

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
If you would quit hiding behind your opponent, maybe we could see you. LOL
Sean
Oh, I know. I must have words with my videographer. My photographer (my dad) is a whole different story on the same theme. :(

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
How did point sparring become so popular? What does it really prove?

I don't know that it proves anything, since it has less to do with martial arts than I initially thought. On the other hand, there is a certain level of excitement from being in the ring. I can't walk away now that I've lost my initial bout; I have to get better at this. I'm just like that, I won't walk away until I can do it competently.

Archangel M

Senior Master
Reaction score
Just beware of training to play a game so much that you train in "game habits".

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Just beware of training to play a game so much that you train in "game habits".

I'm hip. I've been thinking about it a lot since my bout. I realize that the 'jump out and touch quick' thing isn't going to help if you are in a fight and you just tap them. On the other hand, it did teach me to get off the dime, stop strategizing, and strike fast; which of course I failed to do. That might be a good thing to get experience with. And anyway, in my dojo, we hit hard and we keep rolling, we don't stop the action after each 'point'. So I don't think I am in any danger of learning too many bad habits by participating in a few points tournaments. Can't speak for Big Don, but that's my take on it at the moment.

Bruno@MT

Senior Master
Reaction score
I don't know that it proves anything, since it has less to do with martial arts than I initially thought. On the other hand, there is a certain level of excitement from being in the ring. I can't walk away now that I've lost my initial bout; I have to get better at this. I'm just like that, I won't walk away until I can do it competently.

It does indeed have less to do with MA than dojo sparring or partner drills. These point matches get stopped right about the time when it gets interesting and you are toe to toe. It is 'just' a matter of playing tag and trying to touch the other guy first.

I mean, I already admitted that I sucked at it as well and lost my tournament bouts 14 or so years ago. But you are right that they are not really geared towards comparing martial arts capability.

OP
Big Don

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
When sparring at my school, where we go hard and points aren't a consideration, I tend to over-think the whole thing. Having to just act and react might be a good thing for me.

Latest Discussions