Two Left Feet!

OP
C

C.E.Jackson

Originally posted by Goldendragon7

Why is there always time to do it over............
When there is never time to do it right.......

:asian:

Another "Gem" to post in the Dojo!

I fear I will have to start paying royalities.:D

OP
C

C.E.Jackson

Reguarding the original post.

I sometimes find myself chuckling "just a little" as I see my students working on there material.

They always give me a funny look the first time they hear me doing this.

I tell them I'm not laughing at them... I'm laughing at "myself" 30 years ago.

I tell them the same thing I say to YOU.

If this "slow old fat man" can do it... so can YOU!

It just takes time and perserverence.

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Glad you like the saying..... it is one of my favorites.......

also yes the students never know why I chuckle...... they all get paranoid thinking Im laughing at them....... little do they know.....
we all were in their shoes at one time or another..... lol

:)

OP
T

tonbo

Heh.....things are similar with me. Sometimes, when teaching, I will smile or laugh when watching a lower rank doing techniques. They almost always stop and ask if I am laughing at them. At that point, I tell them, "No....I actually still learning that technique myself..."

I have to remind them that, as a Black Belt, all I really am is an advanced white belt. It's kinda funny for a yellor or orange belt to realize that he/she and I are actually working on the same material.....:D

Peace--

Les

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by tonbo

I tell them, "No....I actually still learning that technique myself...

"It's kinda funny for a yellor or orange belt to realize that he/she and I are actually working on the same material.....

You're so right.

A few months back I decided to do a "masterclass" on Delayed Sword.

When I started to put the lesson plan together I was amazed at how much stuff I had forgotten about the technique.

And I discovered a whole load of new stuff too.

I guess we really never stop learning.

Les

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
the "Ideal Phase" is what we use to rid ourselves of two left or right feet.

Forget about the Self Defense we learn at the beginning level...... most that start do not have the coordination or knowledge to be able to defend themselves anyway, regardless of what we teach!

Now that doesn't mean we are not making progress with the material but at the 1st level of training we need to accomplish some balance and introduction to said curriculum. As we progress through "The Process" we then re-visit the old material and re-define what we are doing and add greater understanding and depth to what they already know, thus increasing knowledge and then skill through harder re-focused training.

OP
K

Kirk

At what rank would you say a student would typically
be effective? I don't feel effective right now, yet my instructor
brought up a good point ... he said, "How do you think you'd
fair in a fight against yourself, 1 year ago" ... I'd kick my a$$!
but I'm not a violent street attacker, or a guy hooked on drugs,
or a we be robber or rapist. I know everyone is different, but
say on average .. what belt level would you think that they'd
be effective?

Me personally .. I don't know that I'd use techniques on anyone,
or even look to. I think I'd probably fight the way I always have,
just modified. Definitely would use marriage of gravity, and knees
and elbows, which I didn't do before. I'd like to think I'd pay
more attention to his centerline and my own, and do my best
to step out of the circle when attacked. So I'd use some kenpo.
I hope!

OP
T

tonbo

Don't let that get out!!

WHOOOPS!!!!

Okay, okay......my bad.....time for me to go back to doing horse stance again.....

Peace--

Nightingale

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
well, the thing with techniques is they are meant to give you ideas to end a fight quick and dirty. I've heard people say that if a fight lasts more than a few seconds, you didn't do it right. What happens in the street ain't sparring. If you're fighting in the street, you're usually fighting for your life, and that is not the time to avoid using the deadly strikes.

I was able to defend myself as a greenbelt. However, I had a few advantages:

1. I'm female.
2. I had the element of surprise on my side.

My attacker underestimated me. He made the assumption that I wouldn't defend myself, and because he made that assumption, I was able to surprise him.

I think an attacker would expect a male to fight back, so that advantage may be lost.

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
It worked for you once (and if you need it again hopefully again) but beware........ another day another challenge ...... this one may not be so easy.

Nightingale

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I know. I got very lucky that day and got attacked by what must be one of the dumbest criminals on the planet. For me, martial arts is and always will be an absolute last resort, because you never know when the other guy is better than you are.

Klondike93

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Hey Kirk, I have seen some blue and a few green belts that still moved like they had their feet tied together.

My thought is it all depends on practice, how much of it you do.
I practice a lot, it's fun and helps me get better.

Seig

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Mountaineer Martial Arts - Shepherdstown,WV
Techniques are taught in a certain order for a reason...I'll give you one small and easy example. Generally, the first kick taught is the front kick. Why?
1.) It is probably the easiest kick to do
2.) It is highly effective.
Now, using the front kick and solely the front kick as my example, because I am not as well versed nor as eloquent as Mr. C, let's eaxmine the front kick. There are four parts to a front kick:
Up
Out
In
Down
This kick can be used any where from a stomp(Mace of Aggression(I did not cite Captured Twigs because I see that stomp as an introduction to a crescent kick)) to a chin kick, it usually travels along the center line and can carry devastating force. This is the first kick you learn to use(Delayed Sword) and generally speaking, the first one you learn to defend against(Deflecting Hammer). As you learn the more advanced techniques, most people tend to stop using the front kick, and even more forget how to defend against it. My students have learned the hard way not to discount this kick,as I tend to use it frequently.
What I am getting at is this, take whatever rank you are at now and examine how you execute the yellow belt techniques. Do you execute them well or like you have 30 pound of lead in your skivvies? What you need to be effective is there......
Personally, I'd make one heck of a yellow belt.
Respectfully:asian:

Latest Discussions