TWC & Tsui Ma

Kungfujason

White Belt
Reaction score
My understanding of toy ma in the Moy Yat schools is that is it is part of the partner drilled progressions. At least as I learned it was pak sau, pak da, lop sau, Dan chi sau, then a progression of stationary two hand rolling drills (“running” and “catching hands”), toy ma, then chi sao. It’s been a while (have not formally trained Ving Tsun in 8 years), so I could be misremembering.

The senior student in toy ma still was the one pushing. The junior would receive. The junior student was training to strengthen their horse. The senior student obviously gained something from this too, in terms of learning to move forward into someone’s center and maintain structure while doing that.

It sounds as if some are referring to a stepping method, but I think it is more commonly used to refer to a drill in Moy Yat schools (at least as I learned).

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Thanks Jason, that clears things up a bit since tui-ma/toy-ma isn't a term I've heard used in our branch of Yip Man VT. I also thought it was being described as a stepping technique that sounded a bit like our "dap bo" or pursuing-step.

Juany118

Senior Master
Reaction score
I don’t think TWC does. I’m not sure which others don’t. I have a Moy Yat school and TWC near me. I wanted to know if TWC does in case I go back there. I’m not 100% sure TWC doesn’t but it appears that way. That’s why I’m asking specifically about TWC.

Pretty much what KPM says. Since the emphasis is on "blind side"/flanking it isn't specifically a "thing" but once it was described I said "well yeah of course we do that."

All power generation starts at the feet and is predicated on maintaining balance and structure, whether you are moving in on an angle, to enter while flanking or, if circumstances demand, you are forced to go "up the middle."

Latest Discussions