TSD Uniforms

Ryun Ma

White Belt
Reaction score
For all looking for a quality TSD uniform i HIGHLY suggest the following. being apart of two different martial arts styles with two completely different
Uniforms I get a good take on many different uniform companies. My tsd sbn has used and will use century to his grave…unfortunately I’d rather eat glass than wear any century product. They are over priced for very poor material. I swear by anything Tiger Claw. What you gotta do is get what they call a heavyweight Hayashi Uniform…unfortunately they only come in all white so you have to get them trimmed at a local stitching place. I have a place that does it for 15 bucks I think. The hayashis run around 35 to 40 bucks and are the best quality, least expensive uniform out there. Best part is…it’s 100 percent cotton! Abosolutely NO poly, which I love. Also when you get to the stitching place you must ask for it to be trimmed out in Black Duck Fabric…it is thicker and tougher than cotton and also ask it to be chain stitched all the way around.
Best of luck…this has worked great for me. These uniforms are ridiculously comfortable, truly heavyweight, durable, and they last forever…they won’t do you wrong!

CDKJudoka

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I mentioned that to him. I live local to them and that is the only place that my SBN uses. They have fair prices too.

OP
JWLuiza

JWLuiza

Black Belt
Reaction score
Is the Hayashi brushed cotton?

I'm working on opening an account with Dynamics. Thanks for the info.

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Is the Hayashi brushed cotton?

I'm not sure. It's not particularly soft, but it's not canvas type material... definitely all cotton.

I don't recommend this uniform myself. It's inexpensive but the collar just simply isn't as stiff and durable as I would prefer. Kind of thin and light too for a 'heavyweight'.

OP
JWLuiza

JWLuiza

Black Belt
Reaction score
Probably not doing the Hayashi route. With the cost of going to a tailor, it comes out the same cost as other options where I don't have to go to a tailor.

I might bite the bullet and try the 17 oz pine tree.

Did anyone else notice you can't find pine tree master belts in the states right now?

OldKarateGuy

Green Belt
Reaction score
Interesting thread. I have had a seamstress sew black trim on my tokaido's twice now, and my experience has been the trim shreds long before the uniform wears out, so I ended up with a ragged looking trim on my expensive tokaido. I have tried Century and did not like at all. I also tried several off brands and gave them away after one washing. I have worn the heaviest Pro Force uniform, which isn't bad, but it is still nothing like a good tokaido or other quality Japanese gi.
The World Tang Soo Do Association sells a medium weight dan uniform with all the trim and WTSDA embroidery, so it's not really suitable for other TSD styles, plus it's like an 8 oz material maybe, soft and medium weight. No pop at all when doing forms or basics.
I have also found that even the Pro Force is cut different than the Tokaido - it is slimmer and shorter in the body, so after a lot of washing, it tends to be too short and pulls out of the belt.
For class, I tend to just wear a heavy canvas uniform without any trim, and for official events, I suck it up and wear a cheaper, thin uniform.
So I really have not yet found a good solution.

OP
JWLuiza

JWLuiza

Black Belt
Reaction score
Interesting thread.
HAHAHAH. nice pun ;)

I have also found that even the Pro Force is cut different than the Tokaido - it is slimmer and shorter in the body, so after a lot of washing, it tends to be too short and pulls out of the belt.
For class, I tend to just wear a heavy canvas uniform without any trim, and for official events, I suck it up and wear a cheaper, thin uniform.
So I really have not yet found a good solution.

I have found the opposite. I generally go up a size when ordering a Tokaido. A Sz 6 Pro Force fits me fin (6'7" 240 lbs). A Sz 7 tokaido feels a bit snugger.

I bought duck canvas material for the trim, so hopefully the stitching will hold up.

OldKarateGuy

Green Belt
Reaction score
I'm only 5'8", but I'm pretty wide. In tokaido, 6 1/2, in Pro Force, 5 1/2 or 6. With tokaido, first thing is hack off the sleeves, then it's a perfect fit after a couple of high-heat dryer sessions. Since the Pro Force is already trimmed, I leave the sleeves alone, but of course, they hang past my hands by about 6 inches, and the chest is still too tight.
2nd time for adding trim, I thought I had a heavyweight canvas material, but it fell apart in no time, left all kinds of little strings hanging down like a fringe. Looked like a fancy cocktail dress or something.
i just ordered another tokaido, so I may try the trim again with a different fabric.
Whatever happens with yours, post it here in awhile. Thanks.

B.Redfield

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Just bumped into a guy wearing the Bold Look dobahk at a tournament this weekend, he likes them and they look pretty sturdy, so I may give one a shot.

OldKarateGuy

Green Belt
Reaction score
I called Bold Look and they added my school as a dealer right away, and sent me a catalog. I may order a couple of their uniforms just to try them out. I'll post the results here.

I may be looking for something different than others. I like a heavy canvas material that will snap and pop when working out, not a brushed or synthetic material. I prefer a loose fit around the body, not tapered at all. I hack off the sleeves and pant legs to get more air inside, except for maybe one uniform that's like a dress one, for special occasions.

I like the Tokaido SAW best, but they are outrageously expensive, have to be trimmed (for a Korean style), and my last two did not last.

OP
JWLuiza

JWLuiza

Black Belt
Reaction score
If you find a canvas trimmed uniform, let me know. I prefer canvas too. I'm also interested in the high-end hybrid uniforms that Shureido has.