TSD kicks

OP
S

Sanddragon

I am not sure of your current situation but the best way to remove yourself from the contract is to read it over and make sure what the termination clause is.

Following that in most cases if you simply tell the school you have to move and they can not provide the service agreed to in the contract that you must be released from it. Then after what you deem an appropriate time start at your new school.

Also the weakness of most of these contracts be it gym membership or martial arts is that they agree to provide you a service. If you are not happy with said service there is always a way out.

Ok all sorry for that bit of contract leagal ease and being so off topic. I apologize it will never happen again.

white belt

Brown Belt
Reaction score
A good bit of advice, SandDragon. I hinted at the agreement issue, but did not take it to the proper level. Some places will still be stubborn regardless, unfortunately. On the flipside a "reputable" school, providing the services promised, has to protect itself w/a similar agreement to avoid flighty, untrustworthy people who can waste a teachers time. It is not needed more than is, in my experience, but it deters the big talkers from commiting. Big talkers, who do little, hurt the other students access to the Instructor by taking valuable time from them. KKid seems to be the kind of student I would want training where I am.

white belt

OP
T

TkdWarrior

i dunno why this contract thingy...it sucks big deal... :mad:
there's only one simple contract which we hav to make n it's that to behave properly in class n outside class simple enuff...
frankly i stay away from any school which'll keep me in contracts(at least of the bigger terms)a month or couple may be good not more than that...
-TkdWarrior-

white belt

Brown Belt
Reaction score
It is partly cultural TKD Warrior. In the Midwest U.S.A. there is a "fast food" mentality where people want instant gratification. If they don't get it, they go elsewhere. They don't get it there so they come back. They bounce around and don't learn anything. It makes a school owner go through A LOT of extra work and the contract ensures the students, who aren't commited to improve in the beginning, stick around long enough to rid themselves of the flighty behavior and maybe learn something. This mentality is in large part why this thread started. There is a marketplace for these flighty wannabes and there are unscrupulous McDojang owners that wait to pick their pockets. That is how we end up with TKD, TSD, Karate people who can't kick worth a crap and have Black Belts. Where I teach you get with the program or you suffer rank wise. I promised myself and my students that I will CLOSE the school before I sell out with sloppy technique and fake kicks / belts. You and KKid are examples why contracts would not be needed. You both have tenacity and KNOW what you want. Unfortunately you guys are in the minority where I am. I give a free lesson. I then allow a student to sign up for only 3 months and NO MORE. After 3 months they are able to see for themselves what they want to do, no strings attached. If they want to continue, they have the option of a 1 year or two year membership. They can pay monthly, as opposed to lump sum, with no penalty of interest. If they run into a SERIOUS life circumstance, I void the contract, out of respect and fairness, and I offer my assistance, if needed. The student who lacks a lot of motivation looks and says "I am paying for these lessons, the lessons are not easy, but I'm going to get my moneys worth and show up on a regular basis!". The student then develops decent technique, with regular correct practice, that would not happen otherwise if they hopped around and had a month to month memberships with McDojangs X,Y and Z. X,Y and Zs are why people say some TKD schools KICKS SUCK! My schools quality rep. stays intact and I don't have students who can't perform. I would rather not have contracts, but again, most are not like you and KKid with their goals.

Thanks,
white belt

OP
T

TkdWarrior

darn those fast foods :D
i never liked burgers n stuff anyways
in India there's a saying that "u'll become wat u eat" i guess it's true for all over the world :D ;)

well i understood with contracts...
i don't practice as i used to do 6.5 yrs back as i was young n hav only studies to deal with besides MA now it's studies, job, stupid unnecessary things n then MA... but i m not blown away...hav lot of MA in me :D

my teacher does'nt hav contract things n he hav faithfull followers
3 of them is 1st degree BB with at least 8-9 yrs of training in TKD couple of Blue belts n some lower belts including me...most of his lower belts hav at least 3 yrs regular practice under him...
so many teachers came n tried to steal his students but no one left him...
i m not in BB terms(may be won't even grade) mostly enjoying tools/phyloshophies of TKD which i can use in Self Defense
-TkdWarrior-

karatekid1975

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Thanks again, white belt :D You're right, too. Eventhough I'm stuck with the McDojang, I'm not going to let my technique suffer. My TSD instructor was tough on technique, and he rubbed off on me. I ALWAYS work on technique. I don't care if the instructors here (TKD school) do or not. They might pass me for anything, but if I don't like my technique, I won't let them pass me. I might only be a blue belt, but my technique is better than most of the higher belts there (except for 3 or 4 of them). It's not an ego thing either, because I think I suck. I'd love to train at your school. If I travel your way, I'll be sure to stop in :)

OP
S

Shinzu

i can vouge for a tsd mcdojang. been there...trained that. when i first started tsd i was with what i concider a "mcdojang". don't get me wrong i did learn alot and was grateful for their teachings, but everything you trained for was for testings. it was not a serious self defense school either. i want hardcore training. i want to be prepard if i am faced with a situation in the streets. my new school does just that.

there were also philosophies that my old school did not teach, but my new one does. my old instructor would limit your knowledge by your rank, but my new one will teach you if you are ready to learn (even if it is not required for testing).

don't get me wrong, my old school helped my transition from shotokan to tsd, but it was more about the money than the learning. they were passing students for their black belts that should have been held back. that's when i knew it was time to move on. my first degree BB test was 1 hour long. i trained so long and hard that i was ready for anything. i was dissapointed.

my second degree test at my new school lasted 3 1/2 hours with a 7 mile endurance run on top. what a difference in quality... and the price was cheaper...go figure!!

karatekid1975

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Shinzu,

I am in the same situation as you. Going from TSD to TKD, my TKD school is a McDojang. They passed two BB's that didn't deserve it, and pass others who don't either. And they are WAAAYYYYY to expensive. But yet, I found a good TKD school that I want to go to, but I'm trying to get out of the contract with the McDojang.

mtabone

Green Belt
Reaction score
This thread is really interesting. TSD kicks and TKD kicks are not the same though. They really are not. It has nothing to do with McDojo or McDojang. Some of my student on vacation decided to look around the web and they came by chance across this site. They saw the posts back and forth. They transfered over from TKD to Tang Soo Do. I had a little one the side session with them in the way of their TKD kicks were in comparison to the TSD kicks they are doing now. So I said, ok, that is one way TKD schools could do them. Then it got me on the research gear. I called some buddies who used to train in TKD if they would not mind getting together and showing me thier kicks. I mostly concentrated on front, Round, Side kick durring all these sesions. Ok, basicly, same conclusion as the first set of "examples" I had gotten. So, still saying to give it a couple of more shots, I looked at some Video tapes of some TKD competiters in forms and such. Same kinds of kicks. The kicks are simply not the same as TSD. Not as much Emphasis on hips and rotations, tucking, and power. All these TKD people came from different schools and federations. In my little side study, their was about 12 different Practitioners of all different schools and feds/orgs. They all basicly Described the same tech. for their kicks. I am not saying anything about one being better or worse, or the reason they are different, but they are indeed different.

WhiteBelt, I know you are watching ever vigil over this thread ( :) ). I am not attacking TKD. Perhaps your School is different. Ok. 95% of the time TKD kicks are not the same as TSD. if they are, you are not doing TKD. It is interesting that since Tae Kwon Do came from Tang Soo Do that the kicks were changed. Interesting development. That should be the start of its own thread, on Why the dirrection change in TKD? That would yield some interesting disscusion I think!!!!

With Respect,
Michael Tabone

white belt

Brown Belt
Reaction score
MTabone,

Yes, you are attacking TKD, Crap TKD!:) For this I applaud you! I attack Crap TKD too, when given the opportunity. We are allies against poorly taught MA. I will say that errant organizations and schools do not change the definition of the correct traditional schools art. That is where you are being mislead by your limited resource study. I say limited because the TKD schools I compete and affiliate with DO NOT fit your studys archetype. For every argument/study for, a counter can be made against. I have been down this road before. If I were to use the contacts I frequent as a base for a scientific study, the data would skew in my favor. That in itself does not mean it is representative of the whole. I have seen good TKD (yes, hands up even) on video from outside my contact realm and I have seen what you describe too. And noooo.....I assure you I am learning and teaching AUTHENTIC TKD. My Korean Grandmaster is 60 something and 9th Dan. He is Moo Duk Kwan of origin. As you are probably aware, the Moo Duk Kwan split in two when the major Kwans merged to form TKD back in the 1950's. The kicking techniques were taken along to TKD that were a part of the Moo Duk Kwan curriculum. Funny thing, the kicks were in large part THE SAME from the OTHER Kwans. So, the remaining structure of the Moo Duk Kwan, that came to represent the remainder of Tang Soo Do, from Hwang Kee, apparently did not have the market cornered on correct kicking technique and a patent. Read the prior three sentences and feel like my long lost cousin, not a victim of identity theft! As far as patents go, didn't the Okinawans and Chinese come after you TSD guys like this, years ago, waving a fake patent too? Just how many of these are floating around?:)

Now, looking at the modern day turn of events where we have the two divergent extremes in TKD martial quality.
Consider this, Ten-Twenty years in the future, I am bitten by marketing genious and I distribute en masse a more sporting mass appeal version of Tang Soo Do. It represents the art of Tang Soo Do that you presently practice only in small part. According to your logic then because of the upstart TSD version I marketed AFTER yours existed, yours could no longer be called REAL Tang Soo Do. I will repeat my prior statement, ERRANT ORGANIZATIONS AND SCHOOLS DO NOT CHANGE THE DEFINITION OF THE CORRECT TRADITIONAL SCHOOLS ART. I can appreciate your disgust with the "art being lost in sport" situation. A good part of the Judo of today does not resemble the Judo of Jigoro Kano's era very well. If Jigoro were alive today, (he would be very old), would you tell him that what he was practicing was NOT REAL JUDO?

I see poopy Karate, TKD, TSD, Judo, etc. schools, as well as good, in close to the SAME RATIO. Out of those four Martial Arts, hands down, there are WAY more TKD schools in existance ergo you will see more poopy TKD schools than poopy TSD schools, etc.

My GM periodically talks about how people mix up their points of reference in Martial Arts due to bias. The purpose it serves ultimately is not their own.

Thanks for the fun,
white belt

OP
S

Shinzu

nice posts here :) kicks from different styles are mostly the same (i think) by which part of the foot you hit you opponent with. the construction of the kick may be different but the result is the same. ultimatley it is the instructor who will teach a technique the "traditional" or "non traditional" way. this can be argued back and forth, but it all lies within the instructors boundries... no matter what style you study.

mtabone

Green Belt
Reaction score
Just to say this, most of the people I used in my Granted, unscientific, case study were not from my Frequent martial arts contacts, most of them where from outside of my school. Many are proponents of TKD! Just had to say that.

Of course I know the History of the Moo Duk Kwan. That is a huge debate all together. One road I have seen and been down on many occasions. I am not sure if MartialTalk.com has seen it, if it has you would probably know better, having been posting here longer.

Where do the Kicking Techniques that TSD does come from? Many say KJN Hwang Kee Inovatingly changed them. some say they came from Chinia, some say this and that. And one of them is Obviously true. But it is the current state I am interested in, to simply state it.

And to me, all martial artists "feel like my long lost cousins". TKD Practitioners, the REAL TKDers, like yourself, are indeed TSD cousins. But, they are still, very different arts. Again, I am not saying better, or worse, just merely different. Nothing wrong with that.

Though, I will keep my eyes open for TKD schools that teach they way you say they teach.

Perhaps one day, we can have an internet where we can project holograms of ourselves doing these kicks, that you can see in three-d, and from every angle. (cameras just don't cut it sometimes) Then this discusion would have been about 2 pages shorter. :idea: :boing2: :asian:

Respectfully Yours In The Martial Arts,
Michael Tabone

OP
S

Shinzu

i have studied japanese shotokan also. it is extremely close to TSD. it was founded by gichen funakoshi. some say hwang kee and funakoshi trained together.. thus building the foundation for TSD techniques. having trained in both i can see where this would be true.

OP
T

TkdWarrior

Perhaps one day, we can have an internet where we can project holograms of ourselves doing these kicks, that you can see in three-d, and from every angle. (cameras just don't cut it sometimes)
hmm how about sparring in Virtual world, KO's wont give u concussion, u'll feel the real hard hitting(without gettin killed)...
wow nice future :D
ok from wat i see(in internet) the ppl doing TSD kicks weren't different that the way we do... so i just imagined that TSD dojang's r used to put more hand techs rather than their counterpart TKD school...
but it all lies within the instructors boundries... no matter what style you study.
this is soooooo darn true... i hav experienced that...
-TkdWarrior-

white belt

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Ok! That DOES IT! This is your official NO TOUCH KO VIA THE INTERNET. It was learned by studying Dillman methods. It takes a little time before the effects overcome my opponents (usually about bedtime). They usually are out cold for about EIGHT HOURS! If that does not work, I will show up at your door and display my powers of KimChi Gong! Crunch, crunch! (sound of cabbage being chewed).:) If you are not familiar with KimChi Gong I suggest you look at the "More No Touch KOs" string. You have been warned! No more talk of sloppy TKD kicky!

slightly beige belt
(ran out of bleach).

OP
S

Shinzu

there is a fair amount of hand and foot techniques in TSD. i don't know much about TKD so i really couldn't say.. plus i don't believe in style bashing. every style has their fair share of mickey mouse schools and instructors.

KennethKu

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
What do TSD practitioners do to condition/harden they weapons (hand, fist, kicking tools)? How do you train to increase speed and power (besides techniques)?

OP
S

Shinzu

we use heavy bags and makiwara for conditioning. we also do power drills for speed and power. i found the best way to increase these things is repeated practice.

OP
J

Juche02

First of all, this is a ******** question to ask how we do this. A lot of martial artists CROSS-TRAIN. For example, I have a 3rd Degree Black Belt in TaeKwonDo and a red belt in Tang Soo Do. So I can tell that there is a huge difference in the application of the techniques (chambering, form, all that good stuff...). Plus, I run around the LSU lakes, anywhere from 4 to 10 miles. In class, at my tang soo do school, we have been doing a lot of ab work lately. Sa bom nim Tullier has been going nutz lately. Pushing us hard. ih. We have punching posts, Kicking Dummies, Heavy Bags (water and sand), do push-ups (all types....), Stance drills that can really strengthen your legs, knees....I am about to incorporate a stretch from Brazilian Jujitsu in my training. It is difficult, but effective. There is no simple answer to how members of our style train. It is up to the instructor teaching that class. he is in charge of the class. whatever he feels needs to be done. plus, everyone trains on their own (if they are good....).

Anywayz, sorry for my little tirade. but the taekwondo organization I was in....was too political...too americanized. The leg drills we did (tons of leg drills)....that is another difference. One drill we would do is to stand on one leg, pivot, lift the front knee and chamber for a kick, do about 30 of them slow and without setting our leg down or falling (hopefully), setting the leg down, and then switching legs. Then we moved on to the next kick. There is no consistency in the training art of a style. It can be quite different from Dojang to Dojang.

Latest Discussions