trying to find a better way to match gi sizes to body types

FatGorilla

White Belt
Reaction score
i just created this page yesterday, and i think i'm going to add some detailed pictures and a video so people are on the same page when sending in their measurements.

BJJ Gi Fitting Assistance

Just wanted to get your feedback and see if there is anything i missed or should of added to make it work better

Last edited:

TheArtofDave

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I didn't find the page but I can tell you that I'm 6ft 4 & wear a size 5. As for the pants I just use the draw strings & it works fine.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I didn't find the page but I can tell you that I'm 6ft 4 & wear a size 5. As for the pants I just use the draw strings & it works fine.

You're a couple of inches taller than my instructor who also wears size 5 with ease.
I'm 5ft 4 and wear adults size 3. that's in both a Brazilian made Gi and a UK Gi.

Indagator

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I don't do BJJ but I'll tell ya the problem I got with my new gi: the sizing only goes in height... my jackets ok, but I got some big ol' thighs and the pants are not too comfy to squeeze into and move around in. They need, say, three girth divisions for each height division imho...
Or maybe I just need to drop a couple of pounds and lay off the lifting...

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't do BJJ but I'll tell ya the problem I got with my new gi: the sizing only goes in height... my jackets ok, but I got some big ol' thighs and the pants are not too comfy to squeeze into and move around in. They need, say, three girth divisions for each height division imho...
Or maybe I just need to drop a couple of pounds and lay off the lifting...

Alot of places sell Gi jackets and bottoms spearately, try that?

Indagator

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Hmmm, yep that's a thought. Does the waist get wider with larger sizes at all though? Length is fine just width is a problem.