Trouble In Imaf-delaney Land

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Without wishing for any particular group to fail, I still have to say" Less is more in this case. Fewer groups is better.

Brian Johns

Black Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
<<<<I would hope that by asking my original question that I did not paint myself as a person whose intent was wishing for a group or person to fail or desolve, that is not my style.

My intent, however, was to plant a seed for the necessity to forgive and not to rub people's faces in things when mistakes are made.>>>>>

Whoops. What I said was in no way directed at you, Palasut. I was just expressing my thoughts on the whole situation. I wholeheartedly agree with you on the need to forgive when somebody makes a mistake. You did raise a valid question on what happens IF that group dissolves, then what happens. Who knows ? It's very interesting to see this whole thing unfold. We can only speculate as to what happens from here on.

By the way, it was great working with you at the Raleigh camp !!!:D

WOOOOOOOOO!!!!

Mao

Black Belt
Reaction score
Hey, what's the matter with you two stirring poop anyway?? HUH?? :D Just playin". I do agree that something like this is interesting to watch unfold. We should all remember our place. :asian:

Guro Harold

Senior Master
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yo Whoop,

I did not think that you :fart: 'ed in my general direction. I was just clarifying my intent.

If people in JD's organization decide to leave or are considering it or even if there leadership members have a change of heart, they would need to know from the IMAF, INC organization that there is an olive branch or fig leaf to cover them.

I like Nelson Mandela's example when he became president. At the end of minority rule in SA, a Truth and Reconciliation committee was establish not out of revenge and to dish out revenge but to bring an avenue for people who had committed crimes to admit, confess, and bring closure to the people who had suffered loss and commited the atrocities.

Just think of how bad it could have been for a man who was falsely imprisioned for 25 years and then came into power with people who had suffered as much as he, things could have been worse.

Therefore, someone has to take the high road, even though its the hardest sometime.

Best regards,

Palusut

PS: It was cool working with you in Raleigh as well. Best regards to MAO as well.

Brian Johns

Black Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
Yo Palusut,

I got your intent loud and clear. With regard to your note, I agree with you 100%.

<<<If people in JD's organization decide to leave or are considering it or even if there leadership members have a change of heart, they would need to know from the IMAF, INC organization that there is an olive branch or fig leaf to cover them.>>>

You're absolutely 100% correct in that they need to know that there is an olive branch toward those who want to leave JD or any other organization and come to the IMAF INC (assuming that there are those who do want to leave JD....that remains to be seen). The Nelson Mandela example is a great one.
:cool:

WOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!

Guro Harold

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
DEARNIS.COM,

With all due respect, are you still a member of Jeff's IMAF organization. It appears that the website was changed with your previous role removed. Your decision to comment on this will be respected.

Palusut

dearnis.com

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Palusut (and others);
Nice question; blunt but respectful.
I resigned from the IMAF several weeks ago. My reasons were 1)financial strain in traveling to events 2) use of time for same 3) differing direction from the oragnization (see below) and 4) re-evaluation of my priorities.
Jeff, like many others in the Modern Arnis family, has never been anything but a good friend to me, and we parted ways on good terms. I will say for the record that I believe Jeff, like many others, is honoring his obligations to the Professor in the manner he believes best. (and I will not say any more on this point).
My decision to leave is independant of, and unrelated to Mr. Bates departure; while we are geographically close my operation and his have always been independant.
Essentially I realized that I was spending far too much time away, and that both my home life and my own students were suffering for it. I am a full-time LEO with additional on-call obligations, and could not/can not continue to use what down time I get traveling to camps and events all over the country. Additionally, I have become increasingly involved in training in Sayoc Kali locally, and this is really where I want to invest my personal training time and energy.
I have stayed silent on almost all of the issues that have come up regarding Jeff's group; I have my opinions but am electing not to share them; sorry. I am not, nor was I ever, a spokesman for the group, and it would be inappropriate for me to take on the role now that I have left.
As far as being 'welcomed back' by the IMAF/MoTTs I dont intend to go that route. Within that group as well are many people who have been nothing but good to me through the years, have respected my choices, and have kept the lines of communication open (most notably Brian Z.; a real gentleman and a true credit to Professor). The same comments apply; I think most involved are doing their best to honor their obligations to Professor as best they can.
I don't know if I have answered your question completely or not; if I can add anything let me know.
Chad
PS- my own school/training group/whatever you want to call it, Delaware Modern Arnis is, and has always been, open to anyone of any affiliation who wants to train in the Professor's art; we are located near I95 in Wilmington ( about 25 minutes from Center City Philly- traffic cooperating- and- ideal road conditions- an hour from Baltimore)

:drinkbeer :cool:

Guro Harold

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Chad,

Both you and Brett have always carried yourselves with class and dignity and it was a pleasure to be seated with both of you at the memorial service for the Professor last year in Phili.

I can respect your reasoning and decision. I chose to ask you directly because I knew that you had joined MT and there was no need to be coy and the JD IMAF website sometimes mysterious changes its content without notice.

I will also say publicly that I do not have a personal problem with anyone who is in JD's IMAF or JD himself. If Remy Presas considered you a master in his system, then you are a master. It is not my position to question that appointment nor of the other six, especially from the the viewpoint of being just a lakan. But as others like TheKuntawMan have usually re-iterated, you must earn and backup your credentials with skills and character. To to Dr. Shea's credit, he never eliminated Jeff's spot nor filled it with someone else. It was always and will be the original "seven" which was the Professor's wish.

You are so lucky to be so close to GT Chris Sayoc in Pennsylvania. I get to train some of the techniques in Ray Dionaldo's FCS but I have to travel all the way to Florida.

Best of fortune to you and all of your endeavors.

Harold (Palusut)

dearnis.com

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I tend to lurk on forums much more than speak...but a direct question deserves a direct answer.

Latest Discussions