Trembling shock?

Axkick1

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Hello everyone, I was just hoping someone could give me an accurate definition of what “Trembling shock” means in regards to taekwondo sparring. Thank you.

Jaeimseu

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Hello everyone, I was just hoping someone could give me an accurate definition of what “Trembling shock” means in regards to taekwondo sparring. Thank you.

In the old days, trembling shock was required to score a point in WTF (now WT) competition. A kick had to hit hard enough to move or displace the opponent. Trembling shock no longer applies to today’s Taekwondo competition sparring.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score

A punch has to knock someone down or send them stumbling backward in order to be scored.

The sport definitely favors kicks, in that a kick just needs solid contact to be scored. This is intentional. The idea is that punches are easy to land, but kicks are harder to land. So we favor kicks over punches. If a punch is to be scored, it has to significantly affect the other person.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I never heard that term. Shows you what I know.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
In the old days, trembling shock was required to score a point in WTF (now WT) competition. A kick had to hit hard enough to move or displace the opponent. Trembling shock no longer applies to today’s Taekwondo competition sparring.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
To be clear, as I understand it this applies when e-bogus are in use.
Tourneys using traditional scoring will still use the three scoring type rule. Visible shutter, knock down, or knock out. How much this has changed is cannot say.
I do see some silly kicks being used that would have never scored before the e-Hogu. That said, I still see some strong punches and kicks.