Travel Safely

Discussion in 'Women of the Martial Arts (Women Martial Artists)' started by KenpoTess, Sep 22, 2003.

1. Dirty Dog

Dirty Dog MT Senior Moderator Staff Member

• LifeTime Supporting Member
    This ranks as one of the most idiotic things I've seen posted this week. And it's only Wednesday...

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  2. kuniggety

kuniggety 2nd Black Belt

That what I originally wanted to say... I was just trying to respond more nicely haha.

• Like Like x 1
  3. JohnnyEnglish

JohnnyEnglish Green Belt

Actually, different is not idiotic, whoever can't accept different opinions which are mostly strongly connected to different experiences, is the person who is the thor.

4. Tez3

Tez3 Sr. Grandmaster

• Supporting Member
    Thor is always right.

5. JohnnyEnglish

JohnnyEnglish Green Belt

You are correct ;) But I tried to say it in a way I can't get banned.

Trying to be a gentleman here. It's called integration. :D:D

6. Dirty Dog

I believe in saying things in a way that will be understood.
    Claiming that people who are particularly at risk will become psychotic as a result of being extra cautious in an area or situation that further increases their risk is insulting and displays an amazing level of ignorance about mental illness.
    In short, it is an idiotic thing to claim.

Sent from an old fashioned 300 baud acoustic modem by whistling into the handset. Not TapaTalk. Really.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. kuniggety

kuniggety 2nd Black Belt

I have a deep respect for the opinions of other people. Saying that women taking safety precautions is psychotic is not an opinion though... it's just plain folly.

• Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  8. JohnnyEnglish

JohnnyEnglish Green Belt

I've never said this.

I always support people who are trying to stay safe. But this guideline is too much salt if you ask me. This is my personal opinion and this does not make my comments or my opinion idiotic.

9. Dirty Dog

Sorry to hear you're having memory problems, but you did, in fact, say just exactly that. I've included the above quote to refresh your memory.

• Like Like x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  10. JohnnyEnglish

JohnnyEnglish Green Belt

Yep paranoid.

I've been to about 34 countries ( women following me ) and this is total crap.

Even in India it is totally fine, you need to be aware, but this safety-guideline would even be too much for a country like Afghanistan or Somalia.

Discussion closed.

@DirtyDog: You want to be a moderator?Behave like one ! I've seen children behaving better in an online forum ;)

• Disagree Disagree x 2
  11. Tez3

Tez3 Sr. Grandmaster

• Supporting Member
    No, not paranoid. Sensible. I have no idea what 'women following me' means by the way.
    Travelling as a lone women you need to take sensible precautions anywhere but more so in certain countries, there are other countries that are recommended you don't go to whether male or female.
    As for your statement that these guidelines are too much for Afghanistan and Somalia frankly you are bonkers if you suggest a single woman travels out there as in fact the Foreign and Commonwealth Office advise against anyone travelling to these two countries. You really don't know what you are talking about.

https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/Afghanistan

https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/Somalia

As for India India travel advice - GOV.UK

"Women should use caution when travelling in India. Reported cases of sexual assault against women and young girls are increasing; recent sexual attacks against female visitors in tourist areas and cities show that foreign women are also at risk. British women have been the victims of sexual assault in Goa, Delhi, Bangalore and Rajasthan and women travellers often receive unwanted attention in the form of verbal and physical harassment by individuals or groups of men. Serious sexual attacks involving Polish, German and Danish women travellers were reported in 2014. In January 2015, a Japanese woman was kidnapped and sexually assaulted close to Bodh Gaya and a Russian woman was seriously assaulted by an auto-rickshaw driver in the Vasant Kunj area of New Delhi. Women travellers should exercise caution when travelling in India even if travelling in a group.

If you are a woman travelling in India you should respect local dress codes and customs and avoid isolated areas, including beaches, when alone at any time of day. See these
    travel tips for women travellers.

Avoid travelling alone on public transport, or in taxis or auto-rickshaws, especially at night. If you have to use a taxi get them from hotel taxi ranks and use pre-paid taxis at airports. Try to avoid hailing taxis on the street. If you’re being collected at the airport by a hotel driver make sure they have properly identified themselves before you set off. If you are the victim of abuse call 100 for police assistance (112 from mobile phones).

If you are the victim of a sex crime see
    Rape and Sexual Assault Abroad."

These are the travel tips for women underlined in the second paragraph, this is official not paranoid.

Travelling alone or with a couple of female friends can be a great experience. Unfortunately women travellers can be targeted by criminals.

When you’re out and about
    • think about how your clothing will fit in with local customs – what are local women wearing?
    • don’t wear expensive jewellery
    • wear a wedding ring (even if you don’t normally) to help avoid harassment
    • be wary of new ‘friends’, even if they are fellow holidaymakers
    • don’t tell strangers where you are staying or give out too many details about your travel plans
    • if you’re travelling alone you may attract unwelcome attention and you may receive unwelcome propositions or remarks – it is usually best to ignore them
    • act confidently
    • plan your daily itinerary - know where you’re going, what you’re doing and how to get back
    • some hotels and hostels have cards with contact details and directions – take one
    • never hitchhike or accept car rides from strangers
    • ask your hotel or hostel to recommend a taxi firm – try to pair up with someone you know when travelling by taxi
    If you ever feel uncomfortable or in danger, don’t be afraid to draw attention to yourself by shouting and making a fuss.

In English-speaking countries you may receive more attention if you shout ‘fire!’ rather than ‘help!’

Going out at night
    • always tell someone where you are going and when you expect to return
    • be cautious of people who ignore your personal space, do not listen to you, make you feel guilty if you resist their advances or appear drunk
    • carefully consider whether you should leave the pub, club or party with someone you have just met
    Drug-assisted rape or ‘date rape’
    Unfortunately, drugs are increasingly being used in rape.

Once someone has added drugs to your drink, you won’t normally be able to detect them. Rape drugs can also work in non-alcoholic drinks, such as coffee and tea.

They are normally colourless and tasteless, and can make you virtually unconscious and defenceless.

Never leave drinks unattended and its best not to accept drinks from strangers.

If you begin to feel strange, sick or drunk after only a couple of drinks tell a trusted friend. They should take you to a safe place, such as your hotel room.

If you are alone, phone the local police, a hospital or the British Consulate. And always try to drink responsibly - alcohol is the most frequently used drug in drug-assisted rape.

We’ve published
    advice on what to do if you think you have been raped, sexually assaulted or drugged abroad and for when you are returning home.

Stay safe in your hotel or hostel
    • only use your first initial and no title (‘Miss’, ‘Ms’ or ‘Mrs’) when checking in
    • never leave your key where someone can note your room number
    • don’t leave your window open, especially if your room is on the ground floor or has a balcony
    • remember to lock your room door even when you are inside the room
    • use a door wedge on the inside of your hotel room door for extra security
    • if the door has a spy-hole or chain, use these before opening the door to unexpected visitors.

It's clear you know nothing about travelling as a woman, trying to debunk perfectly sensible precautions is a dangerous game to play.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  12. JohnnyEnglish

JohnnyEnglish Green Belt

Lol, if I would be British, I would probably also paranoid in those places, getting hate everywhere I go.

Even what you are backing up your claims with, is terrible paranoid.

13. Tez3

Tez3 Sr. Grandmaster

• Supporting Member
    Well thank goodness you aren't British ( you're not native German either are you? I would suggest an immigrant to Germany...Russian perhaps )

If this is the advice you are offering then you are dangerous, anyone following that will be putting themselves in danger. It's not paranoia to be prepared and take sensible precautions. You clearly have no knowledge of conditions in any of these countries especially as a single female.
    I want it made plain to anyone reading this thread that the OP is correct and you are simply very, very wrong.

14. JohnnyEnglish

JohnnyEnglish Green Belt

Haha, for some reason I don't believe you were an officer. Since your communication style is very provocative and not objective at all. Hard to believe something like you was wearing any sort of uniform.

I am a native German. But let me ask you, what would be wrong with being a Russian ? Do I see a fascism/foreigner hating profile building up around you ?

15. Tez3

Tez3 Sr. Grandmaster

• Supporting Member

And your comprehension skills are seriously suspect unless of course you are trolling. so far you have told well respected experts they are talking BS, one you called a liar, you offer appalling advice to solo women travellers, you have trashed two martial arts styles, you have been rude to numerous other posters including a moderator, shall I go on?
    What you see in my posts is not my provocation but your own, what you see is your reflection. My attitude towards you depends on you, don't expect to post nonsense such as in this thread and not be challenged, I want to see women safe not labelled as basket cases because we take our safety seriously.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  16. JohnnyEnglish

JohnnyEnglish Green Belt

I always stayed correct until people could not handle an other individuals opinion and started insulting me.

Welcome on planet earth, what you are experiencing there is individuality. If you have a problem with it, move to North Korea, but do not troll the whole UK with your silly behaviour.

Sad to see somebody probably in his 50s behaving like a 15 years old teenager without girlfriend.

17. Tez3

Tez3 Sr. Grandmaster

• Supporting Member

So, tell me who the bloke in his fifties is then? :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Can't be me I've never fancied women........

18. JohnnyEnglish

JohnnyEnglish Green Belt

A homosexual former officer trolling and behaving like a child ? Haha, dude..you are getting more and more funny.

Bye!

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  19. Tez3

Tez3 Sr. Grandmaster

• Supporting Member

539808_203006693162237_1528033777_n.jpg

20. Tez3

Tez3 Sr. Grandmaster

• Supporting Member
    Pst, I'm female by the way. :):):):):):)