Traning at Home

OP
wingchun100

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score
Wait, you mean your body doesn't do exactly what your brain tells it to do and when? Seriously? What's wrong with you? :)

If only my body listened to my brain. I'd be unstoppable. Then again, who wouldn't be? One day, we'll be able to download MA programs directly into our brains and have our bodies do exactly what's supposed to be done like in The Matrix. Then again, I don't know how much fun that would be.

Nothing is fun when it is learned in a flash like that. The work is what makes it great!

OP
wingchun100

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score
In another thread I asked people to sum up one thing that each Wing Chun form teaches you. Some people said, "Well, each one teaches you more than one thing." This is true, but the point of the exercise was to name just one if that was all you could name.

I have taken that to heart, and combined it with something @gpseymour said, about picking 1-2 things to focus on for 30 days. In my case, I am going to pick 3 things as they relate to 3 Wing Chun forms:

1) Sil Lum Tao: rooting
2) Chum Kiu: body unity
3) Mook Jong: proper release of energy

These things will be my main focus.

Phobius

Black Belt
Reaction score
Just throwing it out there. Sometimes focusing on things when doing forms can counteract the purpose of the form.

If focusing on a single thing for 30 days without guidance you may very well be getting the wrong idea about something. While it is not a bad thing to focus like that it is perhaps easier when you have a very good understanding of it. Or not. It is all individual and personality traits that decide what works best for each person.

So throwing out my suggestion here.

Focus not on what you decide but rather do the forms with a clear mind. And then next time you focus on improving or answering the question you raised to yourself last time doing the form. This means that if you have something you feel insecure or unsure about it gets your immediate attentiont. This rather than being something you get frustrated by while focusing on something else thus breaking your training eventually.

Then again it is all down to your personality what works best for your.

OP
wingchun100

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score
Just throwing it out there. Sometimes focusing on things when doing forms can counteract the purpose of the form.

If focusing on a single thing for 30 days without guidance you may very well be getting the wrong idea about something. While it is not a bad thing to focus like that it is perhaps easier when you have a very good understanding of it. Or not. It is all individual and personality traits that decide what works best for each person.

So throwing out my suggestion here.

Focus not on what you decide but rather do the forms with a clear mind. And then next time you focus on improving or answering the question you raised to yourself last time doing the form. This means that if you have something you feel insecure or unsure about it gets your immediate attentiont. This rather than being something you get frustrated by while focusing on something else thus breaking your training eventually.

Then again it is all down to your personality what works best for your.

Why do you say "Without guidance?" I am just curious if that is an impression you got, or if you are basing it on what I do or do not say in my posts. I have a Sifu that I am in regular contact with. Even when not in class, I talk to him on Facebook and send videos for how my form is progressing. Like you said, it is up to each person's personality. For me, as I have said in other posts, if I think about EVERYTHING that could use fixing, then I get overwhelmed. This kind of hyper-focusing is what works for me.

Phobius

Black Belt
Reaction score
Why do you say "Without guidance?" I am just curious if that is an impression you got, or if you are basing it on what I do or do not say in my posts. I have a Sifu that I am in regular contact with. Even when not in class, I talk to him on Facebook and send videos for how my form is progressing. Like you said, it is up to each person's personality. For me, as I have said in other posts, if I think about EVERYTHING that could use fixing, then I get overwhelmed. This kind of hyper-focusing is what works for me.

I say without guidance because I do not know who reads this text and take the example to heart. I often try to do this, cover my base just in case someone in a different situation does not jump off a bridge because they believe that is what I said.

Not everyone has the option to regularly meet or even have a sifu.

OP
wingchun100

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score
Really honing in on this "training at home" thing.

One of the things I miss out on the most is, of course, Chi Sao and pressure training. Class is held only once a week. I get to go only every TWO weeks. Plus when I go, there are usually people there who have not started Chi Sao yet. For a while I tried networking with other WC/JKD people, but that never panned out due to scheduling.

So I cannot go to class, nor can I meet outside with people who can Chi Sao. What's a person to do?

I found a solution, courtesy of Dom Izzo.

There was one video he had that I believe was called, "How can Wing Chun be effective in a street fight?" Or something like that. His demo partner in the video was a big, burly guy, and he was getting in close and crowding Dom. At one point in the video Dom said something like, "If your partner doesn't know Chi Sao, then just make it a game. Try to touch his chest."

So I tried that out with my girlfriend. I told her to not lose contact with my arms (just like in Chi Sao), and try to touch my chest. And wouldn't you know it? Worked like a charm! Is it as good as doing Chi Sao with a skilled partner? Of course not, but I'm trying to bridge the gaps in my training in any way possible. This seems to be a suitable substitute for now.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
...So I tried that out with my girlfriend. I told her to not lose contact with my arms (just like in Chi Sao), and try to touch my chest. And wouldn't you know it? Worked like a charm!

Then did you switch roles and try to touch her chest? :p

...No wonder you like this "training at home" thing. :D