Traning at Home

OP
wingchun100

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score
I will confide this much: the REAL problem is that there is so much to work on that I can get overwhelmed. That is why I always look for one thing to try to focus on, meaning the biggest area of weakness. There are quite a few, but I aim to minimize my stress by figuring out what can be practiced ONLY with others. When I do that, I can say to myself, "Okay, it's beyond my control when others are available, so I will focus on what I can do alone." This helps out immensely, until I start to think of all there is to do! LOL

*Sil Lum Tao
*Chum Kiu
*Biu Jee
*Wooden Dummy
*footwork
*sinking/rooting
*punches
*kicks
*simultaneous attack/defense
*pivoting

And more that I am probably not even thinking of at this moment.

So in order for my brain to not shut down, I have to pick out just a few things to focus on at a time. When I feel I have reached a level of "competence" with them, then I move on. Or I try to group things together. Example: Chum Kiu incorporates pivoting, footwork, and kicking. (It also has the sinking/rooting, but not in the same way as Sil Lum Tao, where that stationary horse stance REALLY drills the idea of rooting into you.) So if I give myself a checklist of several MAIN items that have "sub-items," that helps me relax.

Just the way my kooky brain works.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I will confide this much: the REAL problem is that there is so much to work on that I can get overwhelmed. That is why I always look for one thing to try to focus on, meaning the biggest area of weakness. There are quite a few, but I aim to minimize my stress by figuring out what can be practiced ONLY with others. When I do that, I can say to myself, "Okay, it's beyond my control when others are available, so I will focus on what I can do alone." This helps out immensely, until I start to think of all there is to do! LOL

*Sil Lum Tao
*Chum Kiu
*Biu Jee
*Wooden Dummy
*footwork
*sinking/rooting
*punches
*kicks
*simultaneous attack/defense
*pivoting

And more that I am probably not even thinking of at this moment.

So in order for my brain to not shut down, I have to pick out just a few things to focus on at a time. When I feel I have reached a level of "competence" with them, then I move on. Or I try to group things together. Example: Chum Kiu incorporates pivoting, footwork, and kicking. (It also has the sinking/rooting, but not in the same way as Sil Lum Tao, where that stationary horse stance REALLY drills the idea of rooting into you.) So if I give myself a checklist of several MAIN items that have "sub-items," that helps me relax.

Just the way my kooky brain works.
My approach has always been to pick something to work on for the month. I'm the opposite of you in this (I don't get overwhelmed with too much to consider, I just wander aimlessly through the topics), but we need the same fix: focus on something. So, you could reasonably go through your entire list by choosing one form and one or two of the other topics (so Chum Kiu, plus front kick and rooting, for instance). That's a month of practice, then you decide at the end of that month whether to continue with those or swap some or all out.

OP
wingchun100

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score
My approach has always been to pick something to work on for the month. I'm the opposite of you in this (I don't get overwhelmed with too much to consider, I just wander aimlessly through the topics), but we need the same fix: focus on something. So, you could reasonably go through your entire list by choosing one form and one or two of the other topics (so Chum Kiu, plus front kick and rooting, for instance). That's a month of practice, then you decide at the end of that month whether to continue with those or swap some or all out.

I am a big "list" guy, so I should write out anything and everything I can think of that would require work, and go from there. Like you said, focus on something for a month.

I should really create two so I can alleviate my mind on a more consistent basis. Every now and then, thoughts of the lack of chi sao/sparring creep in and frustrate me again. I have to constantly remind myself: nothing you can do...nothing you can do...nothing you can do.

OP
wingchun100

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score
I kind of half-finished what I was saying there. LOL

When I said "create two," I meant to say two lists. One would be things I can do solo, the other would require a partner. Obviously the "with partner" list would be super short (chi sao/sparring/applications), but like I said...it would help as a visual reminder of what is beyond my control.

OP
wingchun100

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score

Following your advice BIG TIME, man. For the next 30 days, I am going to do the following:

*Sil Lum Tao several times a day while standing on one leg (alternating legs of course). What is the purpose? This is one of many exercises Sifu suggested to help me develop my rooting.

*Chum Kiu. Since a lot of this form involves pivoting and stepping and so on, I cannot do it on one leg. However, it still helps me in multiple areas where I need work (pivoting, stepping, rooting, kicking, etc.) and others where it does not hurt to brush up your skills.

And for now...that's it. There are other little random things I can do throughout the day (stand at the copier in my basic stance, practice simultaneous attack/defend, etc.), but I think the above provides me a good focus as far as forms go for now. Once I get my wooden dummy completed, I am going to add that back into the mix as well because that focuses on a couple areas that the other forms do not:

1) entry
2) timing
3) gauging distance
4) releasing the energy of the techniques into a tangible object

This last one is especially important because the way the dummy reacts will help you figure out if you are getting your entire body into the strikes, or if you are using just your arms.

OP
wingchun100

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score
Today is day 2 of the plan I outlined above. I am amazed at how, even though I do exercise, doing Sil Lum Tao on one leg is a KILLER. I also wind up getting a lot of pain in my feet. Not sure what that is all about. More research is required!

OP
wingchun100

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score
Man, this rooting stuff really is a B! However, I am only one week into it. I need to give myself a break sometimes!

It seems like my balance is worse on my right foot, which is odd because I favor the right, what with me being right-handed and all. ;) My calf muscles get the better of me, and I have to come out of my stance for a moment. However, I did notice today that this didn't happen until the second-to-last section of the form. I consider it progress!

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Man, this rooting stuff really is a B! However, I am only one week into it. I need to give myself a break sometimes!

It seems like my balance is worse on my right foot, which is odd because I favor the right, what with me being right-handed and all. ;) My calf muscles get the better of me, and I have to come out of my stance for a moment. However, I did notice today that this didn't happen until the second-to-last section of the form. I consider it progress!
My experience is that most right-footed people balance better on their left. My theory (based upon playing soccer for many years) is that you'll use the right more, so the left is more practiced at being the balance leg.

OP
wingchun100

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score
My experience is that most right-footed people balance better on their left. My theory (based upon playing soccer for many years) is that you'll use the right more, so the left is more practiced at being the balance leg.

And he's back!

I see your point. That makes sense.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
For the next 30 days, I am going to do the following: ...
I like to plan just for 1 week. For example, in this week, I may just concentrate on 4 combos such as:

1. N - groin kick, face punch.
2. E - foot sweep, leading arm jam, neck choke.
3. S - hook punch, under hook, shoulder press, leg spring.
4. W - downward separate hands, bear hug, outer hook.

I will drill N-E-S-W, N-E-S-W, N-E-S-W, ... 50 times non-stop. Next week I may pick up 4 different combos to train.

The advantage of this training method are:

- If I have to get into a fight tomorrow, I will have at least 4 combos that I feel fresh to use.
- My combo can come from any MA system.
- I'll never get bored. Every week I can train something new.
- If I link these 4 combos into a form, I'm creating a new short form every week.
- My combo are at least 2 to 5 moves. This will force me to think ahead.

Last edited:
OP
wingchun100

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score
Following GP's advice, I did make a list...two, actually...of things I can practice on my own versus things that would need a partner. I'm going to split this up or it will make too long of a read. Here is the "need partner" list first.

NEED PARTNER
1) Sparring/chi sao (single and double hand)
2) Entry footwork
3) Zoning footwork
4) Self-defense application drills
5) Timing
6) Distance
7) Trapping
8) Receiving/sending off energy
9) Sensitivity
10) Flowing
11) Moving "with conviction"
12) Focus mitt drills

I put item 11 in quotes because I was (oddly enough) quoting something my Sifu said to me.

We were doing chi sao, and he said I was doing my techniques half-heartedly. He said, "If you are going to do it, then do it with conviction."

That has always been a struggle of mine, because I equate doing things with conviction to "being assertive." That was one of the reasons I got into martial arts in the first place: to possibly help with that. It just goes to show how literally NOTHING beats training in person because at home I would be doing the forms and thinking, "Yeah I really nailed that lan sao!" or "BOOM! I just knocked that lop sao out of the park!"

Then I go to class, and find I am still pretty lacking in the assertive, "oompf" factor that the techniques need!

Up next: my list of solo items.

OP
wingchun100

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score
Meh...I was going to share the "solo training" list, but then I realized since no one else has been replying, this really isn't like a conversation; it is more like a blog post! LOL

So I think I will save the rest of my training ideas for a blog. :)

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I've been doing twitch exercises from the center of my core. Not even throwing the accompanying punch, just twitching from the middle. Do them all over the house.
Lot of fun.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've been doing twitch exercises from the center of my core. Not even throwing the accompanying punch, just twitching from the middle. Do them all over the house.
Lot of fun.
Oh, the images!

(Someone get me some brain bleach!!)

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Meh...I was going to share the "solo training" list, but then I realized since no one else has been replying, this really isn't like a conversation; it is more like a blog post! LOL

So I think I will save the rest of my training ideas for a blog. :)

I'm replying. Post what you're going to do solo. Then again, I don't know WC terminology.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score

Attachments

• SayWhat?.jpg
    SayWhat?.jpg
    10.3 KB · Views: 150
  • SayWhat?.jpg
    SayWhat?.jpg
    10.3 KB · Views: 145
  • SayWhat?.jpg
    SayWhat?.jpg
    10.3 KB · Views: 127
Last edited:
OP
wingchun100

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm replying. Post what you're going to do solo. Then again, I don't know WC terminology.

Okay, man, I will on Monday. Sorry if that came off like "poor me no one is replying, wah wah."

I wasn't throwing a "pity me" party there. I was seriously worried that I was turning this into my own personal blog.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Okay, man, I will on Monday. Sorry if that came off like "poor me no one is replying, wah wah."

I wasn't throwing a "pity me" party there. I was seriously worried that I was turning this into my own personal blog.
I didn't take it that way at all

Latest Discussions