Trampoline sparring

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
How many of you would spar in a competition where the match is held on a trampoline?

When I was a kid, my best friend and I would go on the Trampoline and roughhouse for hours on end. Punching, kicking, throwing, we had a ton of fun doing it. It was great, because if you got knocked down you bounced right back up. I also have several stories of literally being kicked off a trampoline, and a few techniques that I developed specifically for that fighting style that would NOT work on solid ground.

We called this game Commando, because we liked the action in the Arnold Schwarzenegger movie (Commando). Looking back, it was basically just freestyle MMA sparring by two folk who didn't know much about martial arts.

This was my favorite game as a kid. Is this a sparring style you guys would enjoy?

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
How many of you would spar in a competition where the match is held on a trampoline?

When I was a kid, my best friend and I would go on the Trampoline and roughhouse for hours on end. Punching, kicking, throwing, we had a ton of fun doing it. It was great, because if you got knocked down you bounced right back up. I also have several stories of literally being kicked off a trampoline, and a few techniques that I developed specifically for that fighting style that would NOT work on solid ground.

We called this game Commando, because we liked the action in the Arnold Schwarzenegger movie (Commando). Looking back, it was basically just freestyle MMA sparring by two folk who didn't know much about martial arts.

This was my favorite game as a kid. Is this a sparring style you guys would enjoy?
I consider trampolining only shightless less dangerous than free fall parachuting, so fett on the ground for me

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I´m with Jobo. No way I´d try that voluntarily. If I had to (fantasy scenario) I think I scrap my wing chun and go for a grappling game. At least that would diminish the bouncing effect!

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Trampoline sparring......that's crazy.

I love it. Bet it's a whole lot of fun.

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
No, I know an orthopedic surgeon that swears customers from a couple local trampoline parks paid for his house.

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score

Hahaha, that's awesome, did this with my brother and cousins all the time. That brings back memories...

Would change how you do things a bit in an official tournament, but damn that'd be alot of fun XD

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Not that, but me and my friends used to do something called kayak wrestling. We'd take a kayak out to the water, maybr like a half mile out from the shore, and jump out. Then flip the kayak, two would climb on, a third would judge, and youd try to knock the other person off. First person to hit the water first loses, and comes off to take the place of the judge.

Ton of fun, and the cool thing is that as you get more tired, the water gets more slippery. That, combined with the winner staying on, means you can be pretty sure who'll win at first, but as it goes on the playing field evens out. The judge is also needed, as both people tend to fall off together a lot (think sacrificed throws, plus small arena, plus slipperyness, plus waves).

Those I've done it with, love it. Those I haven't, think I'm crazy for having done it.

OP
skribs

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Not that, but me and my friends used to do something called kayak wrestling. We'd take a kayak out to the water, maybr like a half mile out from the shore, and jump out. Then flip the kayak, two would climb on, a third would judge, and youd try to knock the other person off. First person to hit the water first loses, and comes off to take the place of the judge.

Ton of fun, and the cool thing is that as you get more tired, the water gets more slippery. That, combined with the winner staying on, means you can be pretty sure who'll win at first, but as it goes on the playing field evens out. The judge is also needed, as both people tend to fall off together a lot (think sacrificed throws, plus small arena, plus slipperyness, plus waves).

Those I've done it with, love it. Those I haven't, think I'm crazy for having done it.

When my family went white water rafting, we played a game in the slow parts of the river called "rodeo". One person gets on the bow of the raft, and everyone spins the raft in one direction. Then they change directions.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

Not really a game I would play here.
20190503_125221.jpg

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
When my family went white water rafting, we played a game in the slow parts of the river called "rodeo". One person gets on the bow of the raft, and everyone spins the raft in one direction. Then they change directions.

In college while studying forestry I got into log burling.....ton of fun.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
You guys are all crazy. You know that, right?

OP
skribs

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
You guys are all crazy. You know that, right?

This must be true, considering it was said by the arbiter of insanity.

You changed your avatar!