Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Presets / forms are all that is needed

Votes: 6 8.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

toejoe2k

White Belt
Reaction score
Borrowing from the old statement that "Chance favors the prepared mind", I will do all I can to prepare utilizing the equipment and opportunities that I have available.

That includes makiwara and heavy bag training and especially sparring.
Battling a resisting opponent will sure tell you where you stand, even if you don't/can't utilize soft tissue attacks...it tells you if you have the heart.
Do you choose to give up if you get tagged really good or do to put your hands back up and keep fighting through it? Do you take advantage of an opponent's weakness while sparring? If not, you might not have it in you to incapacitate an attacker. My point is, if you don't have the heart, it's better to run than to fight. And, how will you know which to do if you don't simulate it properly?
Just my opinion...for what it's worth.

Jdokan

Black Belt
Reaction score
I think all is important...that being said any training that hurts the body permanently isn't good...Having broken my left hand years ago doing makiwara training wasn't a really big deal until I got back into playing guitar & got OLDER....certain things with my left hand I just can't do anymore....BUt the main thing here is I went overboard and I believe that is the real issue....Had I followed standard protocol and did things in moderation I would have not had the limitation I have today...

Rabu

Green Belt
Reaction score
I would suggest what you train for dictates how you train.

Training without direction can offer you some benefits, but dont expect those benefits to be without limit, or risk.

DRANKIN

White Belt
Reaction score
This poll requires an "all of the above" selection. But none of it is very useful without a focus on body mechanics, form.

In my opinion, form is crucial. SD techniques are mini-forms. Kata are forms (of course). Basics from a horsestance are forms. Freestyle techs are forms. Form is the collaberation, the culmination, the expression of your basics.

All motion can be dissected with a focus on form geniunely because YOU are ultimately responsible for how motion is executed. YOU are making the motion with the unique, personal, intimate relationship you have with your own body. And if you don't have good form it's because you aren't listening... to your body, and the rudementary execution of YOUR basics. YOUR unique body mechanics.

And it's not about flashy or impressive motion to the outside observer. Some folks muscle through their motion, some speed through their motion. Proper form forgoes the intention of force and speed in order to have force and speed.

Late night musings. :)