Training with Rory Miller

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
Anybody have any experience training with Rory Miller? I was at one of his seminars and I thought it was quite good. Here is his website.
Home

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Well, I'm definitely a fan of this section

HERE’S THE TRUTH:

Violence is bigger than me. There’s more out there and more kinds of violence than I’ll ever see… and certainly more than I could live through. I’ve never been a victim of domestic violence and I’ve never been taken hostage, but in my writing and teaching I presume to give advice on those two subjects. I’ve never been in a fire fight. Never been bombed, nuked or gassed, except by trainers. Violence is a bigger subject than any person will ever understand completely or deeply. I’ve put as much personal experience into my teaching and writing as I can, along with advice from people I know and trust to be experienced. I also quote or paraphrase researchers (many of whom have never bled or spilled blood in either fear or anger) when the research sounds right.

Take my advice for what it is worth. Use what you can use. Discard anything that doesn’t make sense. Test everything. See what makes sense to you and what doesn’t. If it doesn’t, ask why. In the end, your life is your responsibility, and it's your own gut and instincts that you have to live with whether you're enjoying time with your family or facing your worst nightmare.

Never, ever, ever delegate responsibility for your own safety. Never, ever, ever override your own experience and common sense on the say-so of some self-appointed "expert". Not even me. Especially me.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Notice the complete lack of silly claims that a short seminar can solve all your personal defense needs.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Never trained with him personally. I wanted to last time he had a seminar within driving range, but wasn't able to make it. I have several of his books and a DVD which was made from a seminar. Good stuff. If he comes through the area again, I'd love to catch one of his seminars.

Flatfish

Black Belt
Reaction score
I have his joint locks video series and based on that I would definitely sign up for a seminar if he ever came close to where I live.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Highly recommend him. Even have a VERY small quote in one of his books.... and a blurb on that DVD, too. Rory has a gift of looking at things and finding the key principles then being able to articulate them

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Rory's written works are awesome! I would advise anyone to buy his books.

Physical skills seminars probably not on the same level based on what I have
watched on DVD.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Rory teaches a lot through play and personal exploration rather than "do this, do that" type exercises. He helps students find and apply the principles. In some ways, his classes are best for either fairly experienced martial artists or complete neophytes. There's a point in the middle there where a participant might have a hard time with the less prescriptive approach. But that's just my opinion... I enjoyed it, I found some new ideas, and different approaches. I'd like to bring him out my way again.

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
Another Rory fan here, Meditations was something of a game changer for me with my approach to martial arts. I have attended three of his seminars and my school had a small group session with him in Feb. I really enjoyed the Conflict Communications seminar and one of my students who works as a nurse in a psych unit absolutely swears by his book "Talking Them Through."

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Rory's written works are awesome! I would advise anyone to buy his books.

Physical skills seminars probably not on the same level based on what I have
watched on DVD.

Among other things, Mr Miller is ranked in Sosuishi Ryu Jujutsu (and Koshi no Mawari)… I wouldn't take his videos as an indication of his physical skill set, rather a particularly suited approach for absolute beginners, as mentioned...

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Spent a few days with him last year. Good stuff, nice man.

Latest Discussions