Training with Martial Jerks!

Jimi

Black Belt
Reaction score
I have run into a few. Years ago during a Jun Fan/JKD class my instructor paired me up with a visitor who was interested in JF/JKD. During a low side kick counter drill, I allowed my partner to work on the low side kick (Stop Kick) and he did a fair. I had no issue with him then, but when it came to my turn to work on obstructing his low side kick, he knew how I would move for the drill and kept lifting a (Good I have to admit) high TKD side over my obstruction. I said thats good but lets stick to the drill. Again and again he knew as long as I stuck to the drill, he had free shots on me. At one point one of the guys from our club said "Sir, Jimi's partner is not sticking to the given drill" seeing my disatifaction at the drill exchange. My Instructor told him to "Do the drill as instructed" As we continued the drill he was grinning at me like there was nothing I could do to stop him. It got under my skin, so the next exchange I reach my low side kick deep under his lead leg as he tried to plant the TKD side kick on me again & I took his support leg right out from under him bouncing him off the wall behind him onto the matt. Everyone stopped to look agasp. My Instructor insisted "What happened Jimi?!" I responded "Ask him sir" all the while my class mates were watching with looks on there faces like he should not have broken from the drill so much with Jimi. He explained "I was just trying to show my partner the function of a TKD side kick" My Instuctor was not happy with either of us. He countered "Jimi is quite familar with the TKD sdie kick, but that was not the drill I gave you. Jimi, What happened?!' I said "He kept breaking from the drill, so I went at it with a little umph and took his support leg. Then I allowed him to explain himself to you." My Instuctor called for a 10 min. break then telling this guy to be more respectfull to a training partner who has put his safety in your hands, the guy apologized & my Instructor took me aside. "I understand why you did that, he was out of line, but don't do that S***! again!" He demanded. This guy did not last long in our club, but I think he took more of a lesson from me than my Instructor. LOL. PEACE JIMI

SensibleManiac

Black Belt
Reaction score
I just refuse to train with them.
Having been in the martial arts for 15 years, I've learned it's not worth it.
The best thing you can do is just refuse and find another partner.
It helps to have some partners picked out in advance but some times that's not possible.
Bring up this concern to your instructor and see how he responds.
I've seen some serious injuries happen over the years due to careless training partners.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
i have met more than a few over the years. Most of the time I try to be polite unless they try to injure me with their techniques.
I have found that some are jerks simply because they want so badly to get a point across.
Some just go to far in their demonstration of a technique when trying to instill why it works.
For the most part I just go along with what is happening but I have been know to “accidentally “ drop some of them

Dwight McLemore

Orange Belt
Reaction score
While you may call it the 'Jerk' factor it should probably be named the 'Ego' factor. In my humble experience, I met the whole gamit of these people and you know sometimes, just sometimes, the 'Show-Off' syndrome starts to take over. One has to be careful because this 'thing' resides in all of us. The most dangerous type is that guy/gal who sees everything as a competition of a challange and he just 'has to show'. You know the type, everytime you practice a technique he is constantly countering with his own moves . You guys are right, they just ruin seminars for me. The Red-Flag of this goes up for me because a friend of mine spent a year paralyzed from the waist down, (finally got o.k.) because my friend picked a 'Jerk' of a demo partner. You can look in their eyes and see the wheels turning for these people, they don't listen, they are thinking and the two can't be done at the same time. So there we have the competitor. The other is the talker. You know the type, you can't work with him because he keeps running his mouth and telling you about what he does. When I taught tank tactics at Fort Knox, we had these types also....always have a 'question' and expect a lengthly dissertation on this and haven't a clue that they are disrupting the class. We used to call it. "Spring-Butt' Bingo cause their hands were always going up and they were bouncing in. I guess this is a 'gene-pool' flaw. Over the years I've become more tolerent, but there is always that feeling that you would like to turn these people in toads.

Oh well,

Best
Dwight

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My pet hate is with a few men, always men I'm afraid who when I go to teach them a technique instead of just letting me put it on to show them how to do it insist on resisting strongly. This isn't in a sparring or grappling situation it's in a demo/teaching one. They seem to think allowing a woman to put a technique on them will damage their egos! Hell it's not as though I'm actually putting it on, I'm teaching them how to do it for pitys sake! They don't know the techniques, for many it's the first time they've seen them.
My answer is usually to give them a quick sharp dig so they are surprised as I can't match them for strength then I put the technique on just a little stronger than I would have done normally, it hurts so they have to tap or in extreme cases our chief instructor tells them to tap. I did that to one guy and he never came back to training, it was clear though he didn't want to be taught by a woman.

shihansmurf

Black Belt
Reaction score
i have met more than a few over the years. Most of the time I try to be polite unless they try to injure me with their techniques.
For the most part I just go along with what is happening but I have been know to “accidentally “ drop some of them

I agree with your method 100%

I match what my partner is doing. If you want to work light I go light, if you want to go hard I'll go hard.This method has stemmed most of these type of incidents rather well for me.I understand accidents but if I get the impression that the person is trying to hurt me for whatever reason then I put a stop to things right there, verbally if possible, if not a solid right seems to work well.

I'm not willing to get injured to satisfy some jerks ego stroking.

Mark

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
My pet hate is with a few men, always men I'm afraid who when I go to teach them a technique instead of just letting me put it on to show them how to do it insist on resisting strongly.
I've been involved in MA of one form or another for about twenty two years and in that time, I've yet to meet a lady who was a martial jerk. It's always the guys.

Most of the time, the ladies are more serious students and those that aren't "serious" at least treat the class with a reasonable amount of respect and put in a reasonable effort.

Daniel

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I hate to say it but I have met more than a few Jerks who where women. Some just get such large egos because of their rank or because their husband, boyfriend is the instructor they feel they can do no wrong.

Josh Oakley

Senior Master
Supporting Member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
My pet hate is with a few men, always men I'm afraid who when I go to teach them a technique instead of just letting me put it on to show them how to do it insist on resisting strongly. This isn't in a sparring or grappling situation it's in a demo/teaching one. They seem to think allowing a woman to put a technique on them will damage their egos! Hell it's not as though I'm actually putting it on, I'm teaching them how to do it for pitys sake! They don't know the techniques, for many it's the first time they've seen them.
My answer is usually to give them a quick sharp dig so they are surprised as I can't match them for strength then I put the technique on just a little stronger than I would have done normally, it hurts so they have to tap or in extreme cases our chief instructor tells them to tap. I did that to one guy and he never came back to training, it was clear though he didn't want to be taught by a woman.

What an idiot. One of the best instructors i've ever had the priveledge to know was a woman.She's taught me a lot about teaching.

Yew

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
There was this A-hole who came when Sifu was teaching
and he then showed his stiff spear "skills" :lfao: :barf: .Of course it can be said that you can't blame him cause he didn't actually ask people to clear the room for him but it was understood he wanted it that way cause he was the senior in that particular same art. He wasn't practising it, he came just to show off. And during the next class he did it AGAIN!
He also has a boastful behaviour uncalled for since he is also an Aikido instructor.

However, he is nothing compared to the other Jerks who hang out in a gang. If a dojo/kwoon with jerks who don't know each other are bad, it's even worse when there is a gang of them who do know each other. One of them (who is not a student anyway) knows that my friend will go easy on him by stopping right before the punch lands so the jerk takes advantage of that and shoved his face into the floor.He also secretly went and showed two people his own techniques while leaving hints here and there indirectly trying to say his way is superior to my Sifu

Last edited: