Training Through Injury

RobinTKD

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Well it's been a while since I posted here, some of you may recall that near the end of August I got a shoulder injury at Judo (I cross train). I had a couple of weeks off, doctor said it was ok so I headed back to training. The problem was that near the end of September, the shoulder dislocated again while running, so i went back to the doctors and they had a look around and couldn't find anything wrong with it, so I went for some x-rays which also came back alright, and the doctors said as long as it doesn't happen again it should be ok.

Problem was, through the first 2 weeks of October, it dislocated 3 times, by the 3rd time I was so used to the feeling that it barely hurt. This time I paid out to go to a physiotherapist who said that the muscle was weaker on my left right shoulder than my left, and there was an uneven strain on it. He gave me some exercises to do to help strengthen it and it hasn't dislocated since.

During this time, I still went to training, I worked on nothing but kicks at Taekwondo and Uchikomi (practicing throws without actually throwing) at Judo, my kicks came along very well these past couple of months, the speed has built up, and taking what Mr Jeffries taught me earlier on in the year and applying it to what I was already doing they have gotten more powerful. My front split is almost perfect, even if my box split doesn't seem to show such fast improvement, and then on the 25th of November, I got to test how well my non-sparring at Judo training had gone in competition. I won silver in the under 100kg class. Next year I want to make that gold, and the fitness edge that I've kinda lost through this will hopefully be regained and that will give me the extra that I need.

Anyway, sorry to ramble on, just a bit of a 'get stuff off my chest' thread.

Here's a not too good photo of me with my silver medal.

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
Congrats and great to hear all is well again.

andyjeffries

Senior Master
Reaction score
During this time, I still went to training, I worked on nothing but kicks at Taekwondo and Uchikomi (practicing throws without actually throwing) at Judo, my kicks came along very well these past couple of months, the speed has built up, and taking what Mr Jeffries taught me earlier on in the year and applying it to what I was already doing they have gotten more powerful.

It was great to meet you. Glad the WTF twists/take on your ITF techniques are helpful. Congrats on the silver, look forward to reading about more success from you in 2013! Well done mate.

OP
RobinTKD

RobinTKD

Blue Belt
Reaction score
It was the follow foot, I've trained it endlessly on every kick, and where I can't quite do it on some kicks (mainly crescent kicks (which i like) and twisting kicks (which I don't like)) and it works so well, for both speed and power, If you're ok with it, I'd like to come down next year and train some more with you?

andyjeffries

Senior Master
Reaction score
It was the follow foot, I've trained it endlessly on every kick, and where I can't quite do it on some kicks (mainly crescent kicks (which i like) and twisting kicks (which I don't like)) and it works so well, for both speed and power

Cool. Glad that's working well for you.

If you're ok with it, I'd like to come down next year and train some more with you?

Yeah, sure, of course! Be good to see you again mate.

OP
RobinTKD

RobinTKD

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I liked it! I've always said that taekwondo is taekwondo to me, and having now had some, albeit small, experience of it, I do see variations in the style. The variations obviously extend from what you have to prioritise in sparring, for instance a good guard is essential in my experience of ITF, otherwise you will get a lot of hard punches to the face, whereas in WTF style sparring it isn't so much of a problem, but there are other things that you will get punished for, like if you leave your head slightly out of line with your body while executing a kick in WTF sparring you can guarantee you'll take a few kicks to the head, whereas that isn't so much of a problem in ITF just because of the different style of fighting. The 2 gel well as you would expect coming from the same lineage, and there is much to learn from both styles.