Training my guard

hoshin1600

Senior Master
Reaction score
Fingers? Here, let me break them for you. o_O
hand position.jpg

for those jumping on the band wagon...
martial arts is full of open hand postures. i have been using open hand postures for 35 years and i have never had my fingers grabbed or broken.
I can grab her finger from there and break them if I want.

I just simply need to move forward when she pulls her hand back.

I can easily strike her lower body or go under her arm for a shoot at the waist or her legs.

while i dont use a posture exactly like that, its very easy to tear someone down based on a 1 second snap shot. this is 9 year old behavior. "well if you did that...i would just do this.."
it is ok to point out better concepts and ideas but many of you sound like your in the 5th grade again trying to have your big boy pants on.
do i like the position she is in? i dont know. its a snap shot in time, hard to say what she was doing. if someone is trying to point out a better concept, then great tell us how you do it.
lots of people post lots of things on here,,pictures , sparring clips, and it very easy to tear into other people. its not a very attractive behavioral trait.

EDIT: PS the karate guy is not me. Its Takamiyagi Sensei of Uechi- Ryu in Okinawa

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
View attachment 20835

martial arts is full of open hand postures. i have been using open hand postures for 35 years and i have never had my fingers grabbed or broken.

while i dont use a posture exactly like that, its very easy to tear someone down based on a 1 second snap shot. this is 9 year old behavior. "well if you did that...i would just do this.."
it is ok to point out better concepts and ideas but many of you sound like your in the 5th grade again trying to have your big boy pants on.
do i like the position she is in? i dont know. its a snap shot in time, hard to say what she was doing. if someone is trying to point out a better concept, then great tell us how you do it.
lots of people post lots of things on here,,pictures , sparring clips, and it very easy to tear into other people. its not a very attractive behavioral trait.

EDIT: PS the karate guy is not me. Its Takamiyagi Sensei of Uechi- Ryu in Okinawa

I dont open my hands because of incidental damage. With hands and feet flying everywhere I have had my fingers stubbed from time to time.

If you are going to do it. Be aware of it I suppose.

I do spar guys who like a hand in the face. I sissor punch their elbows a bit. With becomes annoying for them.

hoshin1600

Senior Master
Reaction score
I dont open my hands because of incidental damage. With hands and feet flying everywhere I have had my fingers stubbed from time to time.

If you are going to do it. Be aware of it I suppose.

I do spar guys who like a hand in the face. I sissor punch their elbows a bit. With becomes annoying for them.
i have jammed my fingers a few times, doing stupid things like trying to swipe away a front kick. but i learned quick not to do that.

the key difference here is your talking about sparring or fighting, at the point when things are being thrown. but others are talking about pre fight/ assault positions. before things actually happen. you dont close your fists and get into your fighting stance when your not yet in a fight.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
View attachment 20835

The open hand guards are not the problem; it's the angle of the fingers. Even in the picture that you posted his fingers are not straight up and down. His fingers are not spread out. The end of his fingers are curled.

As kid I used to do it all the time, minus the breaking part. If someone stuck their finger in my face the I take that finger and that was before I got into martial arts.
Stuff like this, was simple. A person with their fingers in your face is a risk to your eyes

I don't play around with finger pointing like this
jan-brewer-finger-obama.jpg

Nor like this
HoganSavageInLine_642x361.jpg

Not sure how things are done in other places but where I grew up. Someone other than the owner will claim fingers when people start putting their hands in other peoples face. It's real easy to do. Works great and very simple.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
View attachment 20835

I like your post almost as much as I like Uechi Ryu. That says A LOT.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
It doesn't matter. He is good, but for most it would be a liability.
Good is an understatement. It yes, for most it is a liability. The point was it was to contrast the view Jow Ga Wolf (?) had when he said there's not one video of someone being successful with it.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
i have jammed my fingers a few times, doing stupid things like trying to swipe away a front kick. but i learned quick not to do that.

the key difference here is your talking about sparring or fighting, at the point when things are being thrown. but others are talking about pre fight/ assault positions. before things actually happen. you dont close your fists and get into your fighting stance when your not yet in a fight.

I do straight up. Screw em. If they don't want to pursue me I am more than happy to let them. But nobody gets a free shot.

There is a distance where hands up matter. If they occupy that space. Then they have become a lot more dangerous than a lot of people think.

If they don't occupy that space. I can do what I want with my hands.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Good is an understatement. It yes, for most it is a liability. The point was it was to contrast the view Jow Ga Wolf (?) had when he said there's not one video of someone being successful with it.
The video that was shown was no where near what I was talking about. One arm was extended and the other was chambered. If you watch the video you will see no much striking was done with the outstretch arm. You will also see both of them do exactly what I spoke about.. When the arm is out stretched attack under it.

The most important factor is that there were no strikes thrown to the face other than kicks

Latest Discussions