Training my guard

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
This is the one I'm referring to. This one is useless. Arms are in the fired position so she will need to bend her arms in order strike back. The idea position would allow her to punch with force. The other issue is that I can grab her finger from there and break them if I want. Simply grabbing her finger will cause her to pull her hand away in an effort to prevent me from breaking her finger. I just simply need to move forward when she pulls her hand back. The other problem is that I can easily strike her lower body or go under her arm for a shoot at the waist or her legs. looping and hooking punches will work too. The Tai Chi guy learn that the hard way. There are just better defensive postures to take. Men often tell women to take defensive postures that men don't take.
images
I teach a "I don't want to fight" stance, but it's nothing like that. Similar in that you keep your palms out, but that's about it.

You should have your knees slightly bent, elbows almost pinned against your side and your arms up around a 60-70 degree angle. Not ideal because hour sacrificing mobility, but youe hands are still in enough of a guard position to defend.

Oh, and spending a lot of time jumping backwards or forwards from there so that if you can't block whatever comes you can move and set yourself up in a fighting stance.

Edit to add information: It's not a perfect fighting stance, but that's not the point of it. It's meant to
A. establish self defense to onlookers, and
B. prevent the attacker from being smart (let him telegraph) since you don't look like a threat.
it also happens to keep your hands close to shoulder level which I'm sure could help for grappling, but that's not my focus.

Last edited:

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I teach a "I don't want to fight" stance, but it's nothing like that. Similar in that you keep your palms out, but that's about it.

You should have your knees slightly bent, elbows almost pinned against your side and your arms up around a 60-70 degree angle. Not ideal because hour sacrificing mobility, but youe hands are still in enough of a guard position to defend.

Oh, and spending a lot of time jumping backwards or forwards from there so that if you can't block whatever comes you can move and set yourself up in a fighting stance.

Edit to add information: It's not a perfect fighting stance, but that's not the point of it. It's meant to
B. prevent the attacker from being smart (let him telegraph) since you don't look like a threat.
it also happens to keep your hands close to shoulder level which I'm sure could help for grappling, but that's not my focus.
We do the same, but we keep the hands tight to the body. It's all about keeping the strike pure, and you just do a little thing with your shoulder, you have a guard that can stop a kick.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
We do the same, but we keep the hands tight to the body. It's all about keeping the strike pure, and you just do a little thing with your shoulder, you have a guard that can stop a kick.
I just measured it, there's a little under six inches from the body to the palms. Is there a reason you keep them tight to the body? I tried it and it feels jammed, and just a longer time for a strike to hit the opponent.

Also, do you keep the feet even to each other, or one slightly ahead. I was always taught even, but was looking at it recently and feel like you'd get a bit more mobility having one foot slightly in front and the other slightly behind.

Reedone816

Blue Belt
Reaction score

Mine is similar with what you described, but we don't have trouble with mobility since we minimise movement, only move what must move, we don't change level, we don't move our shoulder, lower body movement don't related to upper body and vice versa (hand-body-leg has independence in movement).

Sent from my Lenovo A7010a48 using Tapatalk

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I just measured it, there's a little under six inches from the body to the palms. Is there a reason you keep them tight to the body? I tried it and it feels jammed, and just a longer time for a strike to hit the opponent.

Also, do you keep the feet even to each other, or one slightly ahead. I was always taught even, but was looking at it recently and feel like you'd get a bit more mobility having one foot slightly in front and the other slightly behind.
Well Sir, it's Kenpo, so the slap is also the start of the next strike, and more travel time, more speed, more power. If your guard is across, it should feel like you are reaching for a pen, in your breast pocket. I don't understand how just raising your hand bunches you up, Try relaxing your shoulder. I am left handed so I keep my right foot forward.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
See the 0:31 mark. She isn't in what I would consider a "back off" or "I don't want to fight" stance. This is what I would consider a "Ready" or "warning" stance. The arms have enough bend to launch some punches if needed. They are also half way into a guard position to block a wild punch coming to the side of the head. The elbows are in a good position to work escapes. If a kick comes in she'll have better chance in blocking it. If the arms extend too far from the body then it will create openings and take away a person's ability to strike with punches. If you train something similar to how this looks then that's a good stance and it puts the woman in a position of readiness. From what I've been able to see, the straighter the arms are the more tendency there is of trying to push the person off. I think women naturally make their arms go straight because they are usually thinking to grab another woman's hair to get head control. But for a woman to defend against a guy who may be bigger, trying to grab his hair like that probably isn't going to work out well.

Edit: By the way I still don't like the fingers pointing straight up like that. It's just an easier grab with the fingers straight up. I look at her fingers and I think grab those fingers and bend them backwards. Other than that if she were to keep the same stance and make a fist, she would be in a "fighting stance"

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I don't want to fight. Peace! Brother...

- Left hand push and cover your opponent's face,
- Step back,
- Right hand draw your gun, and
- Help your opponent to go to heaven.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Well Sir, it's Kenpo, so the slap is also the start of the next strike, and more travel time, more speed, more power. If your guard is across, it should feel like you are reaching for a pen, in your breast pocket. I don't understand how just raising your hand bunches you up, Try relaxing your shoulder. I am left handed so I keep my right foot forward.
I forgot about that slapping part, I was never a fan and my current style (where I learned this stance) does not do it. Regarding the bunch up, I have an injury in my left shoulder, which is where I feel jammed so that's probably the reason behind that.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I forgot about that slapping part, I was never a fan and my current style (where I learned this stance) does not do it. Regarding the bunch up, I have an injury in my left shoulder, which is where I feel jammed so that's probably the reason behind that.
There are lots of different kenpo theories going on, out there; so, I have nothing against what you are into, but on my end, it is all supposed to be very relaxed, and not like a Muay Thai fighter, at all, but we get it, and train like that, sometimes, but... but, just reach up, and touch your ear lobe, right now, what happened? Did it hurt? o_O

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
At first I was going to disagree with Jow Ga and the "I don't want trouble" hand position since I know a guy who teaches an S-D fence or guard using exactly those words,and it made sense to me. But you guys are exactly right about the "Chinese Zombie" stance being useless. Jow Ga laid it out very nicely in post #48.

The S-D guard I had in mind is a lot more like Geoff Thompson's fence -- never static, appearing to be non-threatening, but actually keeping distance and guarding/controlling your opponent's weapons, and with the elbows bent, ready to cover or fire -- really just a camouflaged fighting guard.

http://www.themartialview.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/gt-right-cross.jpg

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score

Edit: By the way I still don't like the fingers pointing straight up like that. It's just an easier grab with the fingers straight up. I look at her fingers and I think grab those fingers and bend them backwards. Other than that if she were to keep the same stance and make a fist, she would be in a "fighting stance"
Something like this.

When you use "Chinese zombie guard", if you can make your opponent not be able to touch either one of your arms, you have developed some nice grappling skills. That means you can

- rotate your arm the same direction as your opponent's arm does. This way, your opponent will never be able to get under hook or over hook on you.
- pull your arm back and send your arm out fast enough to control your opponent's elbow joint from above.

Chang_zombie_guard_1.jpg

Chang_zombie_guard.jpg

Last edited:

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
You guys hating on that "hands up" or "hands out" haven't heard of Hatsou Royama...

Royama's about as badass as they come. And the guy he's fighting in that video is no slouch either. Joko Ninomiya's also quite the badass, to put it mildly.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
You guys hating on that "hands up" or "hands out" haven't heard of Hatsou Royama...

Royama's about as badass as they come. And the guy he's fighting in that video is no slouch either. Joko Ninomiya's also quite the badass, to put it mildly.
It doesn't matter. He is good, but for most it would be a liability.

KangTsai

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
This is the one I'm referring to. This one is useless. Arms are in the fired position so she will need to bend her arms in order strike back. The idea position would allow her to punch with force. The other issue is that I can grab her finger from there and break them if I want. Simply grabbing her finger will cause her to pull her hand away in an effort to prevent me from breaking her finger. I just simply need to move forward when she pulls her hand back. The other problem is that I can easily strike her lower body or go under her arm for a shoot at the waist or her legs. looping and hooking punches will work too. The Tai Chi guy learn that the hard way. There are just better defensive postures to take. Men often tell women to take defensive postures that men don't take.
images
That's the one I meant. Completely useless.

OP
Midnight-shadow

Midnight-shadow

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
images

What about having 1 arm out and the other by your side? That way if the attacker approaches you can pull back with the outstretched arm and punch with the hand that's by your side.

hoshin1600

Senior Master
Reaction score
well at least i wasnt the one who derailed the thread,
it seems some people dont know the difference between "the fence" and a guard.

fense.jpg

a fence is a slightly mobile position that you take while talking and using de-escalation techniques. part of the fence is being subtle so the attacker does not know what your intentions are, you are masking your defensive position.

See the 0:31 mark. She isn't in what I would consider a "back off" or "I don't want to fight" stance. This is what I would consider a "Ready" or "warning" stance.
"

this is a guard.. when she gets into this stance, her attacker knows full well what her intentions are.