Training Methods Old School vs. New School

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
That he uses labor-saving devices doesn't change the original statement: that manual labor leads to muscle gain and toughness not commonly found among those of us whose most manual labor is pounding a keyboard.
it changes his point that hard manual labour is,desirable, if he is spending his dollars on things that remove hard labour from his life, he clearly feel a,washing machine is more desirable than the additional rxcersise. He seem to want it fore others and not himself or his wife

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
:facepalm::banghead:
why do i even bother.

and i dont have to drag my clothes down to the river and beat them on a rock....i am married, she is my best labor saving device.
(and on a side note she grew up in Thai land and actually did grow up washing clothes on a rock but now she lives in America with Louis Vuitton hand bags and shoes and drives a Lexus )
green card?

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
so the people who lift heavy awkward objects and have bad backs, is that natural?

people tend to use natural to indicate healthy or good, there is nothing healthy about a prolapsed disc, but it is natural

if the end result is spinal damage, or any long term injury, then there is a,strong case,for saying the body wasn't,designed to do that! What ever that is

You are making improper cause/effect relationships. It is like saying that eating ice cream causes it to be hot outside.

In your earlier post, you even said that poor body mechanics lead to injury. Exactly! We aren't talking about the benefit of doing things wrong and harming the body. The human machine is unique, in that, it can be made to do things it wasn't designed to do. This is why many long time TKD people require hip surgery/replacements, or why gymnasts have such short careers.

Working the way the body is designed doesn't cause injury. Hard labor doesn't lead to injury, in and of itself, labor of ANY kind done incorrectly leads to injury.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
You are making improper cause/effect relationships. It is like saying that eating ice cream causes it to be hot outside.

In your earlier post, you even said that poor body mechanics lead to injury. Exactly! We aren't talking about the benefit of doing things wrong and harming the body. The human machine is unique, in that, it can be made to do things it wasn't designed to do. This is why many long time TKD people require hip surgery/replacements, or why gymnasts have such short careers.

Working the way the body is designed doesn't cause injury. Hard labor doesn't lead to injury, in and of itself, labor of ANY kind done incorrectly leads to injury.

and hard labour leads to greater injuries sooner. It's impossible to work physically hard for 10 hours,a,day every day and not damage your body, just as its impossible to move all heavy objects using correct techniques

the human machine isnt unique, all machines can be made to do things they aren't designed for and generaly that breaks them or at least wears them out prematurely

Last edited:

FighterTwister

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Training Methods Old School vs. New School
I have been doing Hung Kyun for the past 3yrs and Ive learned alot especially some old school training methods and some new school ones. the reason im bringing this topic up is due to the fact that every thing i have seen nowa days in traditional martial arts schools live up to the "glorious" histry that came before these arts were given a name and i want to know why that is.

To further add to this thread, the most important aspects to consider are whether its old or new is:-

1. Stretches - Flexibility conditioning.
  2. Exercises - Mobility conditioning
  3. Light Weights - Strength conditioning
  4. Relation and Recovery - Natural healing conditioning

In that order as well.

Some of the old methods are traditional beliefs because they have an underpinning reason for example strengthening the nerves or ligaments and increase certain chemicals in the human body. There are studies and information you can find some know this as Qigong, Chi or Kai these assist in the process of healing the body in intense martial art practices and lower heart rate and lactic acids etc

Its a good topic and area of study.

I did post here -http://www.martialtalk.com/threads/looking-for-advice.124887/#post-1860020 .......... as added thoughts by others in community as well.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
To further add to this thread, the most important aspects to consider are whether its old or new is:-

1. Stretches - Flexibility conditioning.
  2. Exercises - Mobility conditioning
  3. Light Weights - Strength conditioning
  4. Relation and Recovery - Natural healing conditioning

In that order as well.

Some of the old methods are traditional beliefs because they have an underpinning reason for example strengthening the nerves or ligaments and increase certain chemicals in the human body. There are studies and information you can find some know this as Qigong, Chi or Kai these assist in the process of healing the body in intense martial art practices and lower heart rate and lactic acids etc

Its a good topic and area of study.

I did post here -http://www.martialtalk.com/threads/looking-for-advice.124887/#post-1860020 .......... as added thoughts by others in community as well.
I'm wondering how you strengthen nerves exactly?

FighterTwister

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I'm wondering how you strengthen nerves exactly?

Example 1:- How to Strengthen and Quicken Your Central Nervous System | psychology24.org

Example 2:- Qigong Benefits

Lots of PDF files online here are two l like:-
http://mindbodylab.bio.uci.edu/publications/Cultural Essay.pdf

596265f3075914063353b2e4204558b0--fact-quotes-chi-kung.jpg

600px-Neuroscience_Dale_nervous_system.gif

dfghvjbnk.png

921b487cbeec7ab0742181f47209e643--chiropractic-wellness-chiropractic-quotes.jpg

Last edited: