Training is where you make it.

Flea

Beating you all over those fries!
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I got creative and added a new element to my training today. We'll call it ... bus fu?

The game is very simple. While riding the bus, stand up and use the hand supports as little as possible. I learned a lot about how my body responds to different directions of inertia (forwards and backwards are the most manageable, but I usually had to move my feet for the side-to-side. 90 degree turns are especially challenging.) And I quickly decided that for safety's sake I will only do it when I have plenty of room. As I improve I'll try it in different types of shoes. Ultimately I hope to work up to doing it with my backpack on, or even while carrying things in my arms.

I'm sharing this to ask for feedback on a couple of points:

1 - What suggestions can you offer to make this a more meaningful drill? From a Systema perspective I'm working on keeping my knees, hips, and back loose and relaxed. But I'd love to hear some other perspectives as well.

2 - What other settings have people used for improvisational training? I'm sure the possibilities are endless.

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
I used to be a Grandmaster in Train-Fu-Kwon-Te-Do.
Its where You stand in one of those run down metal trains that shakes around like mad, and walk from one end to the other without grabbing at rails :D

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I've done this "mess around with stances thing" for as long as I've trained. (I'm not even sure why) As for standing on moving vehicles, Sanchin Dachi works better than any other stance I've ever tried. Especially if it's a really rough ride, like bad turbulence on a plane when you're waiting outside the rest room. And I don't even do Okinawan Karate.

Latest Discussions