Training in Multiple Arts.... Good or Bad?

• Thread starter ShenChuan_Ninja
  • Start date
S

ShenChuan_Ninja

Ok, i was just wondering what yalls thoughts on multiple martial arts training was? I personally am a strong believer in trainign with as many people as possible. I think every martial could benefit from every other martial art. And my school promotes multiple training.

What do YOU think?

OP
W

WLMantisKid

Training in too many arts is an information overload and you'll likely pick up habits that are horrible for other styles... it's just best to find two styles that complement each other completely. Like BJJ and Judo.

Eldritch Knight

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I'm personally in favor of cross-training, mainly for the reason that no single art is entirely comprehensive and that multiple arts will fill in the gaps. The important thing, of course, is to keep the basics of each art strong and to practice constantly. I've also found that as long as one has strong basics in at least one art, it is far easier to pick up other arts. MantisKid also raised a very valid point about complementary arts, which I would like to add to by mentioning that the scope of some arts are so small that they are incapable of being complemented by another art. For example, iaido or kendo will never teach hand-to-hand fighting, and so adding another art, such as karate or aikido will round out the pattern; Tae Kwon Do will never have the fluidity of many CMAs, and as such adding another art is the only way to make yourself effective; et cetera.

MichiganTKD

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Stick with one, understand it, and master it. After 4th Dan (in Tae Kwon Do anyway), you can practice something else if you want. Americans want too much buffet-style martial arts.
Anyway, who's to say Tae Kwon Do doesn't flow enough? Perhaps if you only trained a short time and didn't get to really understand it. It can be a very graceful flowing style when it wants to be.

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
ShenChuan_Ninja said:
Ok, i was just wondering what yalls thoughts on multiple martial arts training was? I personally am a strong believer in trainign with as many people as possible. I think every martial could benefit from every other martial art. And my school promotes multiple training.

What do YOU think?
You are a third degree brown belt at this school. If they train in multiple arts and you have been there long enough to reach a brown belt level then I think you already know the answer that is right for you. Everyone has an opinionn on this and none of them are more right or wrong. It all depends on how you feel and what you want out of your training.

Just my two cents...

loki09789

Senior Master
Reaction score
ShenChuan_Ninja said:

What do YOU think?
First you have to know what your goal is with cross training or not cross training. If you want to master an art form then don't cross train. If you don't care about how long it takes an are interested in cross training, I would say stay with one system as a main system, but to do some cross training into other arts here and there. Do it all.

One art will never be 'complete' so seeing what other arts have to offer will help round out your skills. Not to mention that playing with artists from other movement styles/body types will only make you more adaptable and that will translate to good self defense prep.

I would strongly suggest that if you really are interested in 'studying' instead of just getting 'exposed' to other arts that you only focus on the white belt level type material but learn it with the goal of being at a BB level of proficiency. It all comes down to fundamentals.

hedgehogey

Green Belt
Reaction score
Here's what's the deal: Be effective in the freestanding, clinch and groundfighting ranges. How you do that is up to you.

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
all depends on your interests.

Training more then one style I believe to be a mistake.

BUT

Training with multiple instructors that will give you very different view points in the development of YOUR style is something I would support.

Don't try to learn 3 different styles, try to learn one style from 3 different sources if that makes any sense...

OP
M

Mark Weiser

I personally train in three different forms of Kenpo.

Five Animal Kenpo under Trevor Haines he incorporates Wu Shu style fighting into Kenpo

IKCA Kenpo under Steve Dollins He brings to the training his experiences with EPAK

Dragon Kenpo under James Whittington He brings to the training grabbling movements.

This gives me very good base for Kenpo and different teaching abilities and also drawing upon each teachers experiences and allowing those experiences into my life and passing them onto my students.

Sincerely,
Mark E. Weiser

Guro Harold

Senior Master
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I think that training multiple arts is good if the arts compliment each other. At one time I was studying Kung-fu(external), Modern Arnis (external), and Tai-Chi Chuan (internal) at the same time.

Zepp

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The woods of Marin County, California, USA
I think you should definitely stick with just one art for a good year or so before you begin cross-training, or at least long enough to become competent with the basics of whichever system. Then I'd recommend choosing a second style that is different from your first, so that you're gaining new skills, and so you don't confuse the two at the wrong times. That worked pretty well for me.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
ShenChuan_Ninja said:

What do YOU think?

I agree, and am a big advocate of crosstraining. I do feel though, that its important to wait until at least black belt before you venture down a new path. I think that a very common misunderstanding with many people when hearing about crosstraining, is that you are starting over. Well, in a way you are, but not in the way that many are thinking. When I speak of CT, I never say that the person doing it should stop doing their base art, and that is what many people think. Instead, continue training, but keep an open mind to everything thats out there. Yes, there is quite a bit out there, so sample things and see what you like. As I've also said, even if you took an idea from another style, trained it hard, and added it to what you're already doing, just think about how much better you just became!

Mike

Enson

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
training with other people in different styles is helpful. they don't know when they are supposed to go down... or that your technique is supposed to be working so when you apply it you find out where you are doing it wrong/right.

training in/under different styles just makes you a mma'r. not saying thats bad but you only know technique to a certain degree and no theory on why the move was made to do that or anything else. eventually you train in so many arts that you don't represent one or the other you just can inflict damage on another. thats not what ma is about.

recommendation: find a style that you love and perfect that till the day you die.
peace

Latest Discussions