Training for older people

Instructor

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I actually love working with people above the age of 40. It just seems like younger folks have a lot more distractions which often take them away from training. Retirees often come to me and say they've always wanted to learn martial arts and just never got around to it when they were younger. Oft times these folks are the most dedicated and reliable students in my school.
Youngsters on the other hand have other things going on. I had a student in his early 20's that was real solid for about 6 months then one day he brought a girlfriend to practice and then I never saw him again. It was like his brain was: Hapkido, Hapkido, Hapkido, Hapkido.... GIRL, GIRL, GIRL, GIRL....

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
most older students will tell you up front if they have medical problems that may not allow them to do certain things. If they do not say anything treat them like anyone else until they say they can not do something OR until you notice they are having problems then ask them in private if they are having a medical problem

TrueJim

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I find the wiki information a bit weak really as it is almost suggesting cotton wool for older practitioners...

It is a wiki...if there's anything on the wiki that folks here disagree with, feel free to edit it! The more contributors the better!

I noticed that some folks have started a Spanish version of the wiki as well, Taekwondo Wiki . Any Spanish-speakers on here, it looks like they could use some help!

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
I did not mean to sound condescending and apologize to all if I did. I have the utmost respect for my students and I encourage them to excel in martial arts.

It didn't sound so to me. My experience tells me some seniors will be unwilling to admit to being old and decrepit, or out of shape, or younger people will not like to admit to a medical problem. They will tell themselves, and then you, that they can overcome anything. Whereas if you know ahead of time, you may be able to give them a different pace to get themselves in shape, or ways around a physical abnormality they may have. I think that is particularly true with Hapkido. Has that been your experience Instructor?

Instructor

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It didn't sound so to me. My experience tells me some seniors will be unwilling to admit to being old and decrepit, or out of shape, or younger people will not like to admit to a medical problem. They will tell themselves, and then you, that they can overcome anything. Whereas if you know ahead of time, you may be able to give them a different pace to get themselves in shape, or ways around a physical abnormality they may have. I think that is particularly true with Hapkido. Has that been your experience Instructor?

Not always but now and again I'll get a "special needs" student that requires a different approach to training. It's best for the teacher to know what he's dealing with so that he can adjust instruction to suit. So yes I think so.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
In our Art we ask potential students to complete a questionnaire regarding their current health before they even participate in any free trial lessons. This questionnaire asks the potential students or their guardians to declare any physical limitations they or their children may have due to medical or health issues. As the Senior Instructor of my dojang I make it my responsibility to be aware of potential students' physical limitations and adjust their training or participation accordingly.

I believe that this is responsible and good student management. Somehow I find it irresponsible to allow any student to start training without ascertaining their ability to participate in a physical activity such as martial arts young or old. If one can't do basic physical activities necessary for them to participate in a martial arts class even at a very basic level then they shouldn't be allowed to participate.

Regards

I have no problem with that, I had to do that when I trained JKD. I am also the first to tell anyone that I am going to train with exactly what I can and cannot do and even after filling out the form for JKD I stopped the teacher during warm-up and told him I simply cannot do jumping jacks and he went to something else for warm-up. However if someone is isolating anyone over 50 as old and treating them as such or thinking they should be approached differently than younger student in a way that treats them like they need to be singled out based solely on age is plain wrong, it is age discrimination. If they are asking all students these questions that is perfectly OK, if they are training someone, old or young, differently based on known physical limitations that is fine too. But a word of advice on that one, do not discuss their physical limitation with anyone else without their permission because that could get you in big trouble.

Hi

I've recently inherited a Taekwondo class that is mostly populated with people in the age range 60 to 70. Does anyone have any advice to offer? It's certainly a different challenge from my usual training scenario!

Example

Reading his post from the other side of half a century that can come across as, and I absolutely do not think this is what Gnarlie meant to say, but it can come across this way

"how do I teach decrepit old people"

And yes I do know that teaching a 20 year old is different than teaching a 60 year old, but that does not mean teaching one is any harder than teaching the other, frankly the 60 year old is more likely to listen and follow instructions than the 20 year old....and I know that because I use to be 20...been 20 twice actually and working on a 3rd time. And I know at my current age I am a lot more likely to follow exactly what any instructor says to the T that I was at 20.

Last edited:

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Would you treat women that have had children any differently because they may have a problem when jumping, moving suddenly and doing things like squats?

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Example

Reading his post from the other side of half a century that can come across as, and I absolutely do not think this is what Gnarlie meant to say, but it can come across this way

And yes I do know that teaching a 20 year old is different than teaching a 60 year old, but that does not mean teaching one is any harder than teaching the other, frankly the 60 year old is more likely to listen and follow instructions than the 20 year old....and I know that because I use to be 20...been 20 twice actually and working on a 3rd time. And I know at my current age I am a lot more likely to follow exactly what any instructor says to the T that I was at 20.

You know, with Tae Kwon Do, there's a darn good chance he's gone from teaching kids and preteens to teaching folks in their 60s. That's certainly a major change...

There's been lots of good advice. The heart of it, to me, is simple: Teach the student, not the class. Whether they're 7, 17, 27, or 77... each student has their own mix of strengths and weaknesses as well as limitations. Keep that in mind, and always make it clear that each student should feel that they can either approach you or adjust to their limitations.

Last edited:

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
It is a wiki...if there's anything on the wiki that folks here disagree with, feel free to edit it! The more contributors the better!

I noticed that some folks have started a Spanish version of the wiki as well, Taekwondo Wiki . Any Spanish-speakers on here, it looks like they could use some help!
Mate, I apologise. I didn't realise it was your wiki page. Mea Culpa. :confused:

All I was meaning was that it appeared that older guys were being portrayed in a different way. Now TKD is obviously quite different to anything I practise and I couldn't do a high kick now if my life depended on it, but older people can build up to a quite high level of strength and fitness that enables them to compete with much younger guys, if they are dedicated. For example, I do a pretty thorough gym circuit six days a week. That stands me in good stead to match my generally much younger students when there is any physical work.

The other thing is that my training is a bit like BJJ, aikido and other similar arts where I am teaching smaller, weaker or older folk to overcome larger stronger opponents. Normally that isn't the case in a sport based environment where you have weight and age classes.

So horses for courses, I humbly retire with my tail between my legs. :)

OP
Gnarlie

Gnarlie

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I have no problem with that, I had to do that when I trained JKD. I am also the first to tell anyone that I am going to train with exactly what I can and cannot do and even after filling out the form for JKD I stopped the teacher during warm-up and told him I simply cannot do jumping jacks and he went to something else for warm-up. However if someone is isolating anyone over 50 as old and treating them as such or thinking they should be approached differently than younger student in a way that treats them like they need to be singled out based solely on age is plain wrong, it is age discrimination. If they are asking all students these questions that is perfectly OK, if they are training someone, old or young, differently based on known physical limitations that is fine too. But a word of advice on that one, do not discuss their physical limitation with anyone else without their permission because that could get you in big trouble.

Example

Would like to thank everyone for their insights so far.

What I actually meant more was: How can a younger man maintain credibility with an older group. They have the benefit of life experience on their side and are perhaps different in their approach to learning new things and I need to earn their respect. For example.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OP
Gnarlie

Gnarlie

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Would you treat women that have had children any differently because they may have a problem when jumping, moving suddenly and doing things like squats?

Perhaps, if they expressed that they had difficulty with those things. Otherwise not.

OP
Gnarlie

Gnarlie

Master of Arts
Reaction score
You know, with Tae Kwon Do, there's a darn good chance he's gone from teaching kids and preteens to teaching folks in their 60s. That's certainly a major change...

There's been lots of good advice. The heart of it, to me, is simple: Teach the student, not the class. Whether they're 7, 17, 27, or 77... each student has their own mix of strengths and weaknesses as well as limitations. Keep that in mind, and always make it clear that each student should feel that they can either approach you or adjust to their limitations.

Actually I have gone from kids groups and mixed adult groups of all ages to a specific group training for senior citizens which already existed before I came along. I absolutely agree with teaching the student not the class, but, I wondered whether the mix of sport vs SD vs basic drills might be adjusted to suit the audience for example, and whether the level of discipline might be adjusted too.

Thank you for your thoughts, I appreciate you all taking the time to reply.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
What I actually meant more was: How can a younger man maintain credibility with an older group.

Just get out there and instruct the way you have been taught. Show a positive attitude and a knowledge of what you are doing without being pompous or a "know it all". Show your knowledge through the way you explain things and the encouragement you give the class and it's individual participants.

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
What I actually meant more was: How can a younger man maintain credibility with an older group. They have the benefit of life experience on their side and are perhaps different in their approach to learning new things and I need to earn their respect.
I wouldn't be at all concerned about this. If you are showing them things that work, and work for them, you will automatically have their respect. Remember, they are there because they want to learn. They want what you have to offer.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Would like to thank everyone for their insights so far.

What I actually meant more was: How can a younger man maintain credibility with an older group. They have the benefit of life experience on their side and are perhaps different in their approach to learning new things and I need to earn their respect. For example.

Been there (when I was 30 and I had some 50 and 60 year old students) an you might be surprised, they already know your there to teach, all you have to do is teach:)

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Perhaps, if they expressed that they had difficulty with those things. Otherwise not.

They will absolutely not tell you if they have a problem. It's not any difficulty with techniques they could have but something you may want to be aware of when asking them to do things like jumping jacks in warm ups for example or jumping kicks.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Actually I have gone from kids groups and mixed adult groups of all ages to a specific group training for senior citizens which already existed before I came along. I absolutely agree with teaching the student not the class, but, I wondered whether the mix of sport vs SD vs basic drills might be adjusted to suit the audience for example, and whether the level of discipline might be adjusted too.

Thank you for your thoughts, I appreciate you all taking the time to reply.

I would make some adjustments. You might be able to run a little less formally, trusting them to come in line without the same disciplinary measures you might use with kids, for example. I'd tweak the self defense for the group's needs. They probably don't need self defense against bullies -- but might need tactics to protect themselves from caregivers and scams targeting the elderly (home improvement, etc.), for example. But at heart -- I'd stay with teaching in the format you've been taught to run a class.

Latest Discussions