Training for older people

Gnarlie

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Hi

I've recently inherited a Taekwondo class that is mostly populated with people in the age range 60 to 70. Does anyone have any advice to offer? It's certainly a different challenge from my usual training scenario!

Instructor

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I work with a lot of retirees, it's hapkido but I understand many of the challenges that come with an older class.

Instructor

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First I would find out who has what health issue, trust me they'll have a whole list of things.

Instructor

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Then I would differentiate between folks who have been doing martial arts all these years and new people off the street. An older person who has been doing TKD for 30 or 40 years is going to be in a much better situation than someone who hasn't.

Instructor

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My oldest student is 67. He's a unique combination of strong and brittle. He's capable of striking very hard but he also feels joint manipulation much more than the young kids.

Instructor

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No disrespect intended to present company. My folks have had shoulder surgeries and work done on knees and hips that sort of thing. If the student is a paragon of health then excellent! My experience with older students is that most have some medical malady that you need to be aware of.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Rather than treat the old uns like kids by asking what their ailments are, I'd treat them as the adults they are and let them manage their ailments, conditions etc.
They aren't teenagers who are liable to try to do more than they can, they have nothing to prove, they aren't kids who will whine if it hurts, they'll be sensible and know their limits so my advice, from an old one is treat them as the martial arts class they are. They will surprise you I guarantee.

RTKDCMB

Senior Master
Reaction score
People generally know how their body is holding up, things they can and can't do so I would start by just telling to listen to their bodies and only do what they feel they can do without injuring themselves. Just because it's TKD it doesn't mean they have to jump high or do fancy kicks if they're not up to it..

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Rather than treat the old uns like kids by asking what their ailments are, I'd treat them as the adults they are and let them manage their ailments, conditions etc.
They aren't teenagers who are liable to try to do more than they can, they have nothing to prove, they aren't kids who will whine if it hurts, they'll be sensible and know their limits so my advice, from an old one is treat them as the martial arts class they are. They will surprise you I guarantee.

116-white-up-pointing-backhand-index.png

Logo-web.png

Believe me, someone comes into an MA class to teach and tells me to do something... I will be the first to tell them If I can or not. Example: I can't do jumping jacks, my knees would get really mad if I did..... I don't have anything to prove so don't worry about me, don't placate me, don't treat me like a child, just get on with it and train, I will do what I can and let you know when I can't.

You may find if start treating adults like children that you sill be down an entire class, they will go elsewhere

WaterGal

Master of Arts
Reaction score

Well, I think it depends on how you approach it. I think it's reasonable to say something like "let me know if you have any health issues that will affect your training". We ask all introductory students that, regardless of age, since even kids can have asthma, joint problems, etc. Just don't be patronizing about it and act like they must have something wrong with them because they're old.

TrueJim

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Age 54 here (with plenty of large-joint arthritis)...even when I remind my instructors about things I can't do, in the excitement of the moment they sometimes forget, and unwittingly encourage me to try. Personally, I'm always appreciative when an instructor asks, "Do you think you can do this?" I don't find it condescending...it comes-across to me as them paying attention.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Age 54 here (with plenty of large-joint arthritis)...even when I remind my instructors about things I can't do, in the excitement of the moment they sometimes forget, and unwittingly encourage me to try. Personally, I'm always appreciative when an instructor asks, "Do you think you can do this?" I don't find it condescending...it comes-across to me as them paying attention.

It depends how it's said, I don't mind having someone unwittingly encouraging me because I know my own mind as to what I can do and can't, I'm not going to be egged on to do something I can't.
Being asked if you can do something shouldn't be condescending but the tone of voice and attitude of the person asking will let you determine whether it is or not, you come up with an appropriate answer whichever :cool:

Instructor

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I did not mean to sound condescending and apologize to all if I did. I have the utmost respect for my students and I encourage them to excel in martial arts.

Geo

White Belt
Reaction score
116-white-up-pointing-backhand-index.png

Logo-web.png

Believe me, someone comes into an MA class to teach and tells me to do something... I will be the first to tell them If I can or not. Example: I can't do jumping jacks, my knees would get really mad if I did..... I don't have anything to prove so don't worry about me, don't placate me, don't treat me like a child, just get on with it and train, I will do what I can and let you know when I can't.

You may find if start treating adults like children that you sill be down an entire class, they will go elsewhere

In our Art we ask potential students to complete a questionnaire regarding their current health before they even participate in any free trial lessons. This questionnaire asks the potential students or their guardians to declare any physical limitations they or their children may have due to medical or health issues. As the Senior Instructor of my dojang I make it my responsibility to be aware of potential students' physical limitations and adjust their training or participation accordingly.

I believe that this is responsible and good student management. Somehow I find it irresponsible to allow any student to start training without ascertaining their ability to participate in a physical activity such as martial arts young or old. If one can't do basic physical activities necessary for them to participate in a martial arts class even at a very basic level then they shouldn't be allowed to participate.

Regards

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Three of my karate guys as well as myself are in our sixties. Three of us have been around for what seems centuries and the other one was about 63 or 64 when he started. For the experienced ones, we ask for no favours but as for everyone else, we work within our limitations of chronic injuries such as knees. I find the wiki information a bit weak really as it is almost suggesting cotton wool for older practitioners.

I'll give an example from my training. In Aikido a couple of days ago we had continuous forward rolls. I did about thirty I guess. Then falling back and rolling out backwards about another twenty. I was tired but not dizzy. The wiki article talks about one roll causing problems. In another class I had a decent thigh protector in place as I was testing the guys' shin kicks to the thigh. I reckon I must have worn 50 full force kicks to each thigh. Twice I actually hit the deck from the force of the kicks. I wouldn't ask or expect any of my younger guys to take that sort of pounding.

Some people can't take pressure at any age but others at 60 will be as good as anyone else. I don't differentiate. I just ask people to give the best that they've got.

Latest Discussions