Training Diary

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ain't it something? I read some of the old notes I find in the odd box of stuff and I think "What the hell was I talking about?"

Thinking about it.....probably the same short hand nonsense that any kid training thinks.
Yeah, every now and then when I'm teaching, I hear myself explaining something the students don't need an explanation of. Then I realize I'm correcting an earlier version of me, for something he wrote in his notes.

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
Whipped out my notebook and took a few photos if anyone is interested at all. Got the different subjects, and yeah it's all just randomly written into each category as they come sequentially. In the last section of my book I even wrote down things I've learned from watching the Karate Kid, perhaps I should post those in the current Karate Kid thread XD
69fcaa0253c7d3bb109b39e965bf5194.jpg
13c583e9a01a8f97d6afd86ad09bfd00.jpg
8f76fe611a13f3bc72cece9d5894ed8c.jpg
be7c02553e6f44e5fdd5c3966f74dde1.jpg

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
@_Simon_ I noticed your first page of writing, on the right, mentioned breathing. Has the Hapkido training you have undertaken giving you any different ways of breathing exercises?

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
@_Simon_ I noticed your first page of writing, on the right, mentioned breathing. Has the Hapkido training you have undertaken giving you any different ways of breathing exercises?

G'day oftheherd1, have never done any Hapkido training sorry, only karate :)

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Instead of record everything that you have trained, may be you can record some information as the following:

- How many "finish moves" have I learned?
- For each finish move, how many "entering strategies" can I come up with?
- For each finish move, how many counters can I come up with?
- For each counter, how many counters to those counters can I come up with?

You will soon have many papers and each paper will contain a tree. You have just created your "forest". If you use a computer graphic editor, you can modify your forest whenever is needed.

CMA_tree.jpg

Last edited:

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
G'day oftheherd1, have never done any Hapkido training sorry, only karate :)

Well why haven't you trained in Hapkido? :)

Sorry, got you confused with someone else. But what is your art and how do you do breathing exercises?

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well why haven't you trained in Hapkido? :)

Sorry, got you confused with someone else. But what is your art and how do you do breathing exercises?

Haha good point! I think up in Melbourne there's Hapkido which is an hour away, if I find nothing else I'll look into it ;).

The art I'm studied and am now moving on from is Kyokushin karate. Overall there wasn't too great a deal an emphasis on certain breathing, but we did at times focus on it exclusively.

On the left of the page you'll see a section I wrote on ibuki breathing which we did a fair bit of. It's a tension-based breathing, in which you do a short, sharp inhale, then you close the throat over as small as possible, and force the breath out that small gap as forcefully as you can whilst tensing the abdomen and whole body in general. I believe it's a method of training the body to be strong, and to help sync your body, mind and breath. Also teaching how to absorb a blow. But it can't come just from the throat, but from deep down and takes aLOT of practice... I can see the benefit of it, but I think doing it too much would be harmful... It's done in Sanchin kata in a lot of karate styles.

We also did Nogare breathing (Nogare sono Ichi, Ni and San), which was softer, and designed to slow your breathing and heart rate down, we did it especially after an really intense session.

The page on the right was just notes I took down from a video I watched which talked about breathing, not doing it shallow, nice and deep on the inhale and exhale.

More on ibuki breathing in Kyokushin: What is Ibuki and Nogare? | The Martial Way

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
That is.... SO damn cool haha! A personal touch, looks awesome! I remember doing something similar with my Pokémon card folder back in the day :D