Training costs.

C

CHUNNER

I am moving to the USA to live next year and I am curious as to what I should expect to pay for tuition. Can anybody give me an idea as to what I should expect to pay per hour for both general class and private lessons?

Thanx.

OP
K

Kirk

Chunner, it kind of depends on where specifically you're moving
to. Different cities have a different cost of living, and therefore
different prices.

OP
M

muayThaiPerson

i agree with kirk but expect something like 80-90$ a month.
they also provide packages that are cheaper. like 400$ for 6 months wich averages about 60$ a month

OP
C

CHUNNER

Thanks for the responses, It's Chicago I will be moving to. $90 per month doesn`t sound too bad. What about a typical private lesson charge?

jkn75

Blue Belt
Reaction score
When I lived in Chicago, the average costs for lessons was between $50-80 a month. Location plays a role, whether the city itself or the suburbs, as does contract length (month to month, 6 months or 12 months). As far as private lessons go, that's a completely different story. This can range between $20-60 an hour, depending on the instructor or instruction sought. Good Luck, Chicago is a great city if you like winter and don't mind traffic(I don't like winter and do mind traffic, hence the location change). :asian:

OP
M

muayThaiPerson

i dont think u should worry about private training. but if u really want it, id say about 50$ per lesson. it varies though

OP
C

CHUNNER

Thanks for all they replies, I am really looking forward to moving to chicago. From what I have seen there is a great choice of arts to train in. The choice in Northern Ireland in very limited.

I prefer to train both in class and privately, I think that class gives you the necessary repitition and a good variety of partners, but in order to learn the finer points of a system you need privates.

When i was learning Wing Chun I took two classes a week and three hours private. I was also running a wado class twice a week at the time.

Does the monthly fee you have mentioned entitle you to attend all the available classes a month?

Do any Instructors charge on an ad-hoc basis eg $10 per class.
That is the way it is generally done over here. No contracts or anything just £5 every time you turn up.

Do clubs charge an annual membership over there?

Regards.

OP
K

Kirk

Originally posted by CHUNNER

Thanks for all they replies, I am really looking forward to moving to chicago. From what I have seen there is a great choice of arts to train in. The choice in Northern Ireland in very limited.

I prefer to train both in class and privately, I think that class gives you the necessary repitition and a good variety of partners, but in order to learn the finer points of a system you need privates.

When i was learning Wing Chun I took two classes a week and three hours private. I was also running a wado class twice a week at the time.

Does the monthly fee you have mentioned entitle you to attend all the available classes a month?

Do any Instructors charge on an ad-hoc basis eg $10 per class.
That is the way it is generally done over here. No contracts or anything just £5 every time you turn up.

Do clubs charge an annual membership over there?

Regards.

none that I've seen or heard of (where I live anyways)

Matt Stone

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I can't believe what I am reading...

You folks all pay upwards of $70 US per month and you are okay with that???

I paid $30 a month for my tuition fees for all the classes you could attend (there were beginner, intermediate and advanced classes every night of the week, and while you wouldn't necessarily be able to keep up with the material very well in classes you weren't already in, you were welcome to either join in and do your best or at least train on your own somewhere in the school outside of class), and the fee remained the same for the entire time I was training... My teacher wasn't in it for the money, and wasn't under the illusion that teaching martial arts was a way to get rich.

Personally, if I see price tags of $80 or $90 a month attached to school tuitions, there had better be a darn near unlimited amount of training time available, multiple classes each night, etc., to sweeten the deal.

OP
T

tonbo

I will give you what experience I have had, which isn't as broad as some on this board......but here goes:

If you are training with a school that offers contracts/agreements, you are generally looking at anywhere from $70-100 per month for classes. You are also most likely looking at a year contract, but the school may offer six-month contracts as well, or even month-to-month. Your monthly payment will usually break down to something like two or three classes a week, and may include a private class per month (like a one-on-one with an instructor). Most places will offer private lessons in a range of $30-40 per half hour, but your mileage may vary.

If you find a school that is offering contracts like this, and you feel good about it, check to see what other costs are going to be levied: i.e., do they charge for testing? Do they charge for belts? Do you need to buy additional gear over a certain period of time? These kinds of questions will be important, because there are schools out there that will nickel-and-dime you to death.

There are also schools out there that don't require contracts, and let you pay month-to-month, or even class-to-class. It depends on the school, the location, and so on.

Best rule of thumb that I can give you is to look around. Ask questions, and do the math. Find a place that teaches what you want to learn, and that you feel comfortable with. As long as that base is covered, the money thing will be secondary.

Good luck to you in the Windy City!!

Peace--

OP
S

Shinzu

as stated before, it all depends on where you are goig to live. i am not familiar with the chicago area so would not be able to say.

i have seen dues that vary from $35 - $70 per month. personally money is an issue for me. because i have a family and other necessities, if the dues are too expensive i would not be able to attend. luckily i found a dojang that has reasonable rates and unlimited classes per week.

my best advise is to look around and see what's out there. please keep us posted and best of luck :)

OP
C

Chu-Chulain

Hi Chunner,

I moved to Southern California from Co. Clare about 2 years ago. I was attending classes at 2 Punt an hour (about $2). I came here and found what I felt were exhorbitant fees and a very economic view to the whole martial arts 'business', which was very different to Ireland (and England before that).

I was quite fortunate to eventually get a 'reasonable' school where I pay $80 per month for unlimited classes, but as a special deal, it covers my whole family being 2 children and 2 adults. This was a 6 month contract. I am guessing at renewal (in 2 months) I will have to pay somewhat more to continue. Private lessons are $25 per half hour and you have to buy 10 at a time ($250).

We have friends who pay $175 per month for one child, 2 hours per week regular classes and half hour per week private. Also many schools charge grading fees of up to $50 and some tend to maximize this by having multiple belts and frequent gradings. Another friend had their 5 year old son graded after only 6 weeks at a cost of $40!

The other thing I have seen is pushing of merchandize, videos, clothing, etc., often at much higher prices than could be purchased elsewhere. The thing to keep in mind is that in the States, it is typically a business first and schools are looking at bottom line profitability as much as (or more than) spreading the arts.

BTW Chicago is a great city, but bitterly cold in the winter!

OP
C

Chiduce

$80-120 dollars per month is usually the norm. Though the YMCA, YWCA, And Community Center's would charge a substantially lower fee!
Sincerely, In Humility;
Chiduce!

Nightingale

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
you have to take into account that if the instructor has a private studio open, he has to pay his rent, which can range from $500 a month to $2000 or more, depending on location and square footage.

to cover even the cheapest school, the instructor would have to have at least ten students paying $50 a month just to cover rent.

then there are utilities to take into account... usually at least $150 or more. that's another three students at $50 a month.

Then the instructor has to pay for equipment, advertising, and car maintenance and gas to get two and from the school.

that means the instructor has to have at least something like 20 students at $50 a month just to break even. If he's trying to make a living, that can be really hard.

OP
C

Chu-Chulain

Originally posted by nightingale8472

that means the instructor has to have at least something like 20 students at $50 a month just to break even. If he's trying to make a living, that can be really hard.

I don't dispute the economics, its just different to what I have been exposed to in England and Ireland. Many schools there are 'non-professional' and run through local community centers, schools, Universities, etc. Membership is typically minimal or non-existent and tuition is on a per class basis, Also the grading fees and merchandising is much less prevalent.

I guess the real difference is that expenses ae much less and most instructors are running the school in adition to another full time job, thus it is not typically treated as a primary revenue source. In fact many schools have a commitee made up of regular students and fees are managed by them and added to the school account which goes towards funding of equipment, special events and subsidizing trips and competitions for students.

I understand there are some schools that work on a non-profit basis here in the States, but it is not the norm, whereas it is in England and Ireland. Not better, just different...

Roland

Black Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
or
one of the suburbs?
I know some people in the area, might be able to hook you up if you know where exactly you will be living!

$60 a month is common in our area in London Ontario, Toronto is closer to $80 a month or higher, but London is starting to get there too!

Damian Mavis

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Thats Canadian, he was talking the U.S right?

Theres plenty of community centre schools that have cheap rates you just have to look around for them. The only problem is you might get some junior instructor teaching a C.C. branch for his head instructor and you might not be getting very good instruction. I actually run my school full time out of 2 C.C 's and rented space at another commercial martial arts academy and run the whole thing myself, running around to different branches 6 days a week. If I'm doing it I'm sure many other instructors are doing it.

Damian Mavis
Honour TKD

Latest Discussions