training blade

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
One of the martial arts magazines that's currently on the stands shows Erin Vunak using them. The Vunaks have a relationship with the NoLie manufacturer I believe.

OP
A

alan

The blade pictured at deftact.com is the one that I make and use at my studio. The cost is 4.00 plus s&h. If anyone has a question call me that the number on the web site. thanks, Alan

Cthulhu

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by arnisador
One of the martial arts magazines that's currently on the stands shows Erin Vunak using them. The Vunaks have a relationship with the NoLie manufacturer I believe.

If the Vunaks use that training blade on a regular basis, IFAJKD may have first hand experience with them and could give us a review, whenever he gets back. (hint hint)

Cthulhu

OP
F

fist of fury

The price does seem steep, but they seem to be a good quality I think I'll have to pick one up eventually.

OP
E

Eniygma

I bought a "nolieblade" for my school and it works great !!!! Except it is metal and you can take a beating from it...but at least you don't get really cut!! Awesome Blade!!!!

Dave
www.dayspringwesleyan.org/dma/

Cthulhu

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The NoLie blades look nice, and it is convenient to have a visual indication of where you 'cut' a person, but we haven't had the need for that in our training. The person who got 'cut' always acknowledges it, so there's no need for that type of marker.

As for the blade being metal, I think that's essential for training in knifework. Not only is the feel of the training blade more realistic, but for what we do, a stiff training blade is necessary to practice most, if not all, of the disarms and control techniques. A blade like the the one arnisandyz makes:

http://www.martialtalk.com/showthread.php?threadid=1056

is ideal, but if it wasn't possible to obtain some sort of metal blade, a wooden blade would be a halfway decent substitute. Rubber training blades aren't good for much at all.

Cthulhu

OP
K

knifeman.dk

Help me out here, please!
I checked your page for the intimidator training blade, but i can´t find it - what do i do wrong?
:asian:

arnisandyz

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by Cthulhu

"Rubber training blades aren't good for much at all."

Cthulhu [/B]

Cthulhu,

yes and no. Rubber knives do have thier purpose. We have not introduced you to weapon sparring yet, things can get pretty heated and its nice to not worry so much about controlling for injury with the aluminum blades sometimes.

Rather than using rubber however, I prefer to use lightly padded rattan, which gives the protection and are still rigid. If you want to make some yourself, I use pipe insulation you can get at Home Depot and thin (1/2" or 3/4") rattan or PVC pipe. Be sure the ends are padded.

You'll be amazed how your fight strategy changes when your both really trying to tag each other.

Arnisandyz

arnisandyz

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by Cthulhu

The NoLie blades look nice, and it is convenient to have a visual indication of where you 'cut' a person, but we haven't had the need for that in our training. The person who got 'cut' always acknowledges it, so there's no need for that type of marker.

Cthulhu

I think that is the important thing. train with people who want to make you better and vice versa.
I'd rather have a "NoLie Partner" than a "NoLie Blade"! although marking someone up would seem like a whole lot of fun!!!!

OP
E

Eniygma

I agree that there is a time and place (and a purpose for everything under heaven) for rubber and metal blades. We use all of it We use "Sharkeys" hard plastic blade for disarms, etc...etc.. We use rubber of foam blades for "Defanging the cobra" (striking the weapon bearing limbs) cause after a while this leaves bruises if a hard blade was used. However, I do still think "NoLies" are good, because even if your partner acknowledges he got cut....after two minutes or so of knife fighting, can that pewrson recall every attack and tell you how (direction) and where he got hit (all over the body), I don't think so! At least with a no lie we can look at each other and tell who "won or lost" so to speak (not literally, don't read into that statement guys)....also, you can see if your blocking and movement were really effective, cause you can counts the number of cuts......and I don't know about you guys but I would do everything I can to be the one with the "LESS" amount of slash marks which translates to open wounds in real life!!! Do you feel me???!!

E

arnisandyz

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Eniygma,

You bring up a good point. It would be a more reliable method of recording in that sense. In the past, we have used sharpee markers and white shirts for this reason. (It would be nice to have the feel of a knife instead of a marker). $60 is a bit high for me so being the cheap bastard that I am, I think I am going to make a similar version for my own use. I think all it is, is an aluminum blade with a felt insert on the edge which you load up with lipstick (available from my wife). Notice I said "For my own use" with no plans to sell...I noticed copyrights and patents all over the sight.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
We largely use wooden knives in Modern Arnis and in the JKD I'm studying though I'm becoming more and more convinced of the value of using metal knives after Mr. Jose's seminar. I see the value of the NoLie blade mostly in convincing non-FMA practitioners that knife fighting is harder than they think--otherwise I agree with the well-put sentiment that a NoLie Partner is better!

OP
D

Drunken Master

I am currently studying ITF Taekwon-Do but at some stage would like to start a martial art that deals with and uses weapons.

Which style would you recommend?

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by Drunken Master

I am currently studying ITF Taekwon-Do but at some stage would like to start a martial art that deals with and uses weapons.

Can you be more specific? For knives, the Filipino and Indonesian arts are great.

OP
A

alan

Knifeman.dk go to www.deftact.com look under the o.c. seminar notice banner, there should be a picture with two people using the blades. alan

arnisandyz

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by Drunken Master

I am also a 2nd degree blackbelt in ITF. I think it depends on what you want to get out of it. Do you want to do it for self defense, for tournament forms, for excersise, for study???

In my opinion the FMA addresses weapon use in a universal format, concentrating more on movement, where in other styles, it may take years to learn one weapon, then move on to the next. FMA also seems more combat focused. While other styles focus more on solo or forms training with weapons, FMA does more partner drills to develop timing, sensitivity, etc and has very few if any forms (at least in our system). As you can tell, I am a bit biased! Cthulhu can give you a good assesment as he has learned many Okinawan weapon systems before training in Filipino Arts.

Wushu weapons also looks nice, although a bit flowery for my tastes.

Cthulhu

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
From my experience, Okinawan (and similar) systems teach weapons primarily through forms. There are very few (if any) partner drills practiced. Any techniques that are actually practiced tend to be done in a traditional rather than realistic manner. Furthermore, many of the weapons are not what one would normally carry. I like playing around with my nunchaku and sai, but outside of taking them to class, I don't carry them around with me.

For me, the FMA weapons training is just much more 'alive' and realistic. Okay, the whip taught in Sayoc Kali may not exactly be a good example, but that's the exception rather than the rule :D

Anyhow, like arnisandyz said, the partner drills help with sensitivity, timing, flow, range and general 'aliveness'. The training is not static, even if you're doing a simple drill like hubud. The simple act of changing hubud partners changes the total feel of the drill. The concentration on the motion, and not the weapon itself, greatly increases the effectiveness of the training for me.

I love my Okinawa-te training, I love kobudo weapons and traditional Japanese weapons. However, after getting a taste of FMA weapons training, I couldn't see training another way. FMA weapons training is more fun and dynamic, not to mention more effective and realistic, especially in the short-term.

These are my personal opinions, of course, and should be taken as such. If you're happy with your training, then keep at it. That's more important than the ramblings of a loudmouth like me :D

Cthulhu