Training Alone

Brad Dunne

Brown Belt
Reaction score
How would you go about training/practicing if you do not have access to a training facility or a training partner? I realize that the hard arts have their forms and stand bags to practice on/with, but how do the soft arts that really need a uke/partner to practice with/on accomplish this? Visualation can only take one so far, so without actual hands on, what do/can you do to make it work?

crushing

Grandmaster
Reaction score
It is tough without a training partner, even with the hard arts new variables are introduced when it comes to live bodies.

When I do visualization I actually perform the techniques on an imaginary partner, kind of like shadow boxing or doing a form. This is also a good time to focus on some of the details of the techniques, like the shifts in weight and footwork.

It doesn't beat having a real live partner though. Is this for when you are away on travels, or between classes?

crunk

White Belt
Reaction score
although softer martial arts movements are very precise, unlike their hard counterparts they do require a partner to practice effectively. This is i suppose because the joint locks\pins\throws are mostly taught by feel as the receiver you learn by feeling the pain or the technique and as the giver you rely on input to know if you are preforming the move correctly.

That being said i suggest you find someone who is intrested in any martial art and ask to cross train with them( i did this by going to a local boxing gym and letting a couple of old boys pummel me untill i found one who was willing). Myself i know the feeling, i trained one on one with a 7th degree black belt who taught by feel, and after i ended my training i had a very difficult time finding someone who enjoyed being tossed around.

Paul B

3rd Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I try to really focus on footwork when working alone.

It earns me some weird looks from the dog..but hey..you can really pivot fast in socks on a ceramic tile floor. :uhyeah: *don't act like you haven't tried it*

Honestly though..mostly footwork and falling. I also have a nice wavemaster in the garage for the strikes and kicks.

bushidomartialarts

Senior Master
Reaction score
there's no substitute for training with a partner.

all the above advice is solid and you should do it.

but you should also find a partner. use craigslist and martial talk, put up an ad at the local community college, ask around at your gym.

unless you live in devil's elbow, alaska and have to commute via bush plane, there will be somebody in a similar situation within reasonable driving distance.

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well, if you are ever at a loss on what to work on while alone, go for a run or lift some weights. Both will benefit whatever it is you want to get better at. You can never have too much strength or too much cardio.

Latest Discussions