Training after a Broken Ankle

Discussion in 'Women of the Martial Arts (Women Martial Artists)' started by mudogirl44, Apr 28, 2017.

1. mudogirl44

mudogirl44 White Belt

I've been practicing Taekwondo for about 6 months when I broke my ankle in Feburary. I recently got my boot off and I am anxious to get back to training but I am concerned about re-injury. Any good tips for getting back in?

2. kempodisciple

kempodisciple Senior Master

Disclaimer: I am not a personal trainer, physical therapist or athletic trainer. My knowledge in this subject is based on personal experience, casual research and about 3 athletic training courses in college. Be on the safe side with everything, and talk to a professional. Take the professional's advice above any responses you see here, since they are a: qualified and b: can actually examine your ankle/you.

Check with your PT to see if he/she feels like you're ready. Follow what they say. If you're not going to PT, go to PT.

I would personally wrap my foot before going. If you don't know how, check with the above mentioned PT.

Take it slow, and do a slow warm up before you start. When warming up be light on your feet (not meaning fast-don't put too much pressure), and pay extra attention to them. Also with kicking start lightly and gradually kick harder. If you start noticing pain, stop.

If you notice any pain, use either Ice or heat afterwards (if you feel that it's bothering you). If it's feeling tight/stiff, use heat. If there's inflammation/swelling, use ice. If there's a different pain, directly ask whomever you're getting PT from (notice a pattern here?), how you can handle that pain after a workout/TKD. Actually, even if it is tight/stiff or there's inflammation/swelling, bring it to the attention of your PT.

Most importantly, TAKE IT SLOW. You don't want to injure yourself more and end up with a permanent/chronic injury just because you wanted to go back to TKD 2 weeks earlier than you should have.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. mudogirl44

mudogirl44 White Belt

Thank you, I do PT twice a week now so I wll definitiely talk to my therapist about going back as well as wrapping.

4. yak sao

yak sao Master of Arts

When I broke my foot many years ago I spent my recovery time balancing on my good leg throwing very slow kicks with the injured leg ( it hurt too much to throw them fast).
    I also practiced various punches and blocks while standing on one leg.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Headhunter

Headhunter Senior Master

Do exactly as your doctor says dont push it more. Health is more important than training and if you push to hard you get injured worse then you're out even longer

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. JR 137

JR 137 Senior Master

I'm an athletic trainer. I've rehabbed more ankle sprains and fractures than I can count. The following is general advice, NOT personal/specific advice...

If you're out of the boot and fully weight bearing per your doctor's orders, the bone(s) itself is fully healed and not at risk to be fractured again by weaker forces.

But your ankle is at increased risk of being injured again. Because of the boot, you're going to have disuse atrophy - muscles, tendons, and ligaments will be weaker; and your nerves won't fire exactly as they should - sensory nerves and motor nerves. These things are what put you at increased risk of injury.

Rehab must consist of balance/proprioceptive training, mobility/range of motion, and strengthening. Recent studies show that balance training early on decreases reinjury risk most; but that doesn't mean do balance training instead of the others.

As for bracing or wrapping, I find most of the stuff out there to be junk, to be honest. The hands down best ankle brace I've used is an ASO ankle brace. They're a bit bulky if you've never worn a brace before, but everyone's gotten over it (except distance runners). DonJoy makes a pretty good ASO-knockoff brace. Not sure how much cheaper it is, if it's cheaper. If you can't get an ASO, get a DonJoy.

Welcome to ASOAnkle.com

Anaform Lace-Up Ankle Brace

Above all else, listen to your physician and PT. They see you, we don't.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
  7. eddiecharette

eddiecharette White Belt

• Like Like x 1