Training Advice

Professor Random

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
This might be a little bit different training advice than the usual. See this summer I'll be hitting the road and traveling non stop. For various reason visiting family, sight seeing etc. And we won't be back to our hometown for about 3 months. That's a long time to be away from TKD so I was wondering, what can I do to stay in shape? Obviously I'll be running a lot because you can do that anywhere. But I was wondering if you could train at another dojang (With their permission of course) for like a 1 night "free trial". Would that be acceptable or would it seem kinda sketchy. Not really sure about it because I've never done something like this. But I definitely don't want to get out of shape.

Basically what I am asking is if some kid asked to come to your dojang for a night because he was in town and needed some place to train, would you let them?

Thanks for the help :)

MI_martialist

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I travel quite a lot and always look into training as a guest wherever I go. The answer is often yes.

andyjeffries

Senior Master
Reaction score
The answer to your question - "hell yeah, come along and jump in". I'd explain/trust them to go carefully in sparring but other than that - absolutely welcome! I'd recommend contacting many dojangs along the way and see if they'll let you. It'd be a great experience.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
You can stay in shape And quite possibly come back faR faR fitter than when you left, quite easily by doing a daily exercise routeen, you will however get rusty aT technique unless you practise, So popping into a few Obliging schools on the way sounds a good idea

mrt2

Brown Belt
Reaction score
This might be a little bit different training advice than the usual. See this summer I'll be hitting the road and traveling non stop. For various reason visiting family, sight seeing etc. And we won't be back to our hometown for about 3 months. That's a long time to be away from TKD so I was wondering, what can I do to stay in shape? Obviously I'll be running a lot because you can do that anywhere. But I was wondering if you could train at another dojang (With their permission of course) for like a 1 night "free trial". Would that be acceptable or would it seem kinda sketchy. Not really sure about it because I've never done something like this. But I definitely don't want to get out of shape.

Basically what I am asking is if some kid asked to come to your dojang for a night because he was in town and needed some place to train, would you let them?

Try it and let us know how things turn out. Even if it doesn't work out, you certainly can practice TKD on your own, right? Stretching, Basics, one steps, kick combinations, and forms. Add pushups and crunches before and after, and you have your own mini TKD workout.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
You can train at different places but don't expect it to be for free. Sure some places will let you have a free session. I'm basing this off jiu jitsu as that's where I've seen it most with people travelling. my instructor does let people travelling train for free but not everyone does. Some will expect you to pay regular drop in fees some will even charge more for a one off.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
You can train at different places but don't expect it to be for free. Sure some places will let you have a free session. I'm basing this off jiu jitsu as that's where I've seen it most with people travelling. my instructor does let people travelling train for free but not everyone does. Some will expect you to pay regular drop in fees some will even charge more for a one off.
Yes I think assuming it will be free, could lead to some embarrassment, ask how much it will be, if they say " nothing" OR a modest fee, then carry on. If they want silly money, jJust pass on that one

OP
Professor Random

Professor Random

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Well if it wasn't an outrageous price I would consider giving them some money, cause after all it is their dojang. But on the other hand I certainly hope not everyone would, because I'd be broke before I even started.

Try it and let us know how things turn out. Even if it doesn't work out, you certainly can practice TKD on your own, right? Stretching, Basics, one steps, kick combinations, and forms. Add pushups and crunches before and after, and you have your own mini TKD workout.
Of course you can always do exercises by yourself, but I find it a lot more beneficial when you work with a group, not always but most of the time.

Metal

Green Belt
Reaction score
When I was traveling a lot I trained at many dojangs all over Europe. Some may charge per session, some may let you join for free. It's a great experience and great way to meet and get to know new people and see other training methods. For example I'm still in contact with a Taekwondo Master from Vienna and helped him out with driving him and his student to the Belgian Open last year in return for the awesome free training sessions I had in Vienna.

Just e-mail and call dojangs on the way and explain your situation. Some may see this as a chance to make some extra money, but some may see this as a chance to show their students that people from out of town are interested in the dojang. Plus from my experience, when externals are joining the dojang the locals put more effort into their training and do everything in order to represent their school in a positive way. ;-)

Some dojangs may deny any guest training requests which happened to me twice in Spain. But all the other experiences were awesome and I would say that each and every dojang contributed something to my personal progress to become a true Taekwondo Master. ;-)

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Whether you can train someplace will vary by school. If you came to one of my classes (not even the same art), I'd probably give you the opportunity to either train one or two things that are new to you, or work on some things we share. If we were the same art, I'd just welcome you in and find out what you want to work on (or pair you with someone of similar rank, if possible, to go play). If you went to some other schools, probably including my instructor's, you'd only get the option of doing some beginner work in our art. Some wouldn't even be interested in a one-day visitor.

But you're likely to be able to find someplace to train in almost any city or town you go to. And don't forget your forms, shadow-boxing, and the value of observing a class even if you can't participate.

Some places will charge a "mat fee" (my instructor charges $15). Mine is nominally $10, but I rarely bother. I had a visitor from Germany last year who attended several classes while in town, and I'm not sure if I ever charged her anything - certainly not for every class she attended.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well if it wasn't an outrageous price I would consider giving them some money, cause after all it is their dojang. But on the other hand I certainly hope not everyone would, because I'd be broke before I even started.

Of course you can always do exercises by yourself, but I find it a lot more beneficial when you work with a group, not always but most of the time.
Well no it doesn't work that way if the guy charges you you either pay the price or you don't train you don't give him some money you give what he asks if you want to train. Just don't believe you're entitled to a free session. Especially if it's their business

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Well no it doesn't work that way if the guy charges you you either pay the price or you don't train you don't give him some money you give what he asks if you want to train. Just don't believe you're entitled to a free session. Especially if it's their business

Which is what he said.

I love the concept of martial arts tourism. Great for the tourist, great for the club.

We have had some top guys come in and just manhandle everyone. Got them teaching the class by the end of the stay.

It was like a free seminar.

By the way the last club I touristed at had a weeks free trial. I trained almost every day.

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
Just a suggestion....Why don't you tell us what areas you will be visiting and maybe members can provide you with contacts.

OP
Professor Random

Professor Random

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I meant in the sense that I would pay their fee if they said it needed to be paid (unless its an outrageous price), sorry if that wasn't clear

Just a suggestion....Why don't you tell us what areas you will be visiting and maybe members can provide you with contacts.
I couldn't tell you the exact cities I would be in, cause I'm still not sure. But I'll be around Ohio, Michigan and upstate New york for the most parts.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
We always let guests train for free.....if they were of age. So you would be out of luck.

serietah

Green Belt
Reaction score
I feel like my school is in the minority here. We don't have any free training at all, but even for a fee I don't think we'd allow someone just passing through to train. I'm not sure our liability insurance would like if we just let random people pop in. Maybe if we had a waiver on hand drop ins could sign.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I feel like my school is in the minority here. We don't have any free training at all, but even for a fee I don't think we'd allow someone just passing through to train. I'm not sure our liability insurance would like if we just let random people pop in. Maybe if we had a waiver on hand drop ins could sign.

You get new students at some point though?

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Everyone signs a waiver, new or visitor (if training). Actually, where I am, they sign two - one for me and one for the center.

Latest Discussions