Trained Bouncers....

Bammx2

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I would like to ask for opions on this subject......
I just came back to the US after living in the Uk for 4 yrs and worked as a doorman for most of the time there.
They have an interesting idea about "doorman" that I had wondered how it might parlay over here....
Over there,They have to have a course(which is VERY lacking) but could be improved greatly.The doorman have to have training in first aid,self-defense, VERY minor "bar" psychology(not textbook) and various other safety issues as well as legalities of what they are entitled to do and not to do in certain situations.They also have to have background checks done by the police.
Thier course is only one weekend....definately not long enuff and they have to be employed by "door companies" who would provide legal assistance to the doorman if needed.
Now,if training was to an adequate standard........
In general....do you think its a viable possability?
I am very interested in all opinions.

psi_radar

Black Belt
Reaction score
I'm not sure of your question--do you want to develop a similar course for over here? Under that assumption, I'd say it'd be hard to get off the ground unless it was demanded by law, which I don't see happening.

OP
Bammx2

Bammx2

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
yes...I was wondering if it could be a viable business to start here.
Kind of like an entertainment security buisiness.
It could have a lot of benefits if done properly.
But I do believe it would be hard to get off the ground as a private venture....but not impossible.
Of course,if it did become mandatory...it could only be regulated state by state.
That I don't see happening.
It's just after many years in the buisiness,I think "knuckle draggers" are a bad thing.
Bouncers are like cops......no one likes them til they are needed and usually don't like the outcome when a bouncer is involved.
The training and regulation would be benefucial both ways....for the bouncer,not to mention the establishement,and the customer.
I've asked this question alot in the last few years of people over here and have recieved different responses all over.
This is the first forum I have posted the question on and I thought it would be nice to get an opinion from other martial artists in a wider spectrum.

Latest Discussions