Traditional vs modern training.

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
Anyone else here take a more modern approach to training their TMA? By this I mean training it , and your body, according to modern combat sports standards and methodology, while maintaining the core principles of your system.

If so, what have your results been?

If not, do you think deviating from tradition is a bad idea? Why or why not?

I made a thread here attempting to describe my experience with doing this, but I thought the general idea was good for a new thread.

Describe your training!

wckf92

Master of Arts
Reaction score
This should be a good thread/discussion.

I train a mix (based on your above). I mean, I train the "usual" WC stuff (the forms, the drills, the exercises, the conditioning, the power training, etc etc...BUT, I am a big proponent of other things that I modify or convert/tweak to suit the needs of WC.

For example, I recently bought one of these:
20180730_162845.jpg
But, I use it just like boxers do but with "elbow down/center line/WC punching".

I like WC, but honestly, if you train a martial art to be able to defend oneself, you better off just being in shape. Deterrence is a huge factor. So, I train regular physical fitness stuff alongside my WC because let's face it...you should do your best to be in shape for your chosen MA as well as just life! haha. I do kettelbells, burpees, chins/pullups, pushups, yoga, deadlifts, etc etc. Basically, I'm a fan of GPP in general.

One area that A LOT of folks seem to neglect are just simple attribute builders like speed, timing, accuracy, proprioception, agility, balance, etc.

lansao

Purple Belt
Reaction score
This is good stuff. I train at a local kickboxing gym in Austin that trains Dutch Muay Thai and boxing.

I’ve taken a few private lessons with their trainers and it’s definitely tightened up my general game, including my WC. I feel like sparring with the gym population and experienced boxers/kick-boxers has also answered a few questions I had around feel of footwork and tightness/getting small.

Also just having access to decent bags for kicks and jump roping with a buzzer. Something about that three minute buzzer.

I also love the double-ends for targeting and slipping. I keep a small one in my garage and find it useful for calibrating my targeting and reaction time.

In terms of conditioning, I’ve fallen off the bandwagon but am crawling back into routine. Right now it’s running, jump rope, squats, planks, and bag time with 3-minute timers and 30 second rests (shooting for 5 rounds atm).

Reactions: KPM

Latest Discussions