Traditional Shaolin White Crane Gongfu Training (Indiana)

BillK

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Hello,
I am considering purchasing a few Kung Fu training DVDs from Yang Martial Arts Association. While I can train extensively on my own, there will come a time when a partner is needed. That being said, I am looking for someone who is wanting to train in traditional White Crane Gongfu, Shaolin Shuai jiao, and Chin Na. I can provide the training space and DVDs if someone is willing and able to meet in Bluffton. Must be seriously dedicated and willing to follow through with the commitment. If interested, send me a message. Thank you.

kuniggety

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I'm originally from Ft. Wayne and I wish I could help you out. TKD and Karate are pretty popular... with JJJ & BJJ growing. Unfortunately there isn't a strong KF scene there.

OP
B

BillK

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I'm originally from Ft. Wayne and I wish I could help you out. TKD and Karate are pretty popular... with JJJ & BJJ growing. Unfortunately there isn't a strong KF scene there.
Yes, all I've really seen there are a few Karate Dojos, a Hapkido studio, a few TKD and one Gracie Ju Jitsu center there. Nothing close to KF. Closest KF training is Indianapolis.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
This topic comes up fairly often, people come here with a notion of training thru the medium of video instruction.

It's a bad idea, it doesn't work well, don't waste your money or your time.

Go find a good instructor of any style. That will be better than learning from video.

OP
B

BillK

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I think the debate about being to learn/not learn from a video is a never ending one. Some can learn that way, some cannot. I happen to be one of the one's who can learn via video. I'd even dare say as well as someone with a "live" instructor given the video is detailed. The issue arises when the techniques require two people, such as Chin Na or Shuai Jiao.

greytowhite

Green Belt
Reaction score
Nah the issue arises when you have no somatosensory input. Visual alone is not enough to learn gong fu. Not just partner work but most parts of legitimate gong fu require a teacher to give it to you properly. If you are not getting whacked, pushed, slapped, and kicked into place to show you where the power is in each stance or movement you will not gain the true knowledge of the style.

mograph

Master of Arts
Reaction score
We can't get feedback from a video.

Last edited:

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I think the debate about being to learn/not learn from a video is a never ending one. Some can learn that way, some cannot. I happen to be one of the one's who can learn via video. I'd even dare say as well as someone with a "live" instructor given the video is detailed. The issue arises when the techniques require two people, such as Chin Na or Shuai Jiao.
I doubt it. If video instruction of my system existed, I promise you would not be able to learn in that way, beyond superficial mimickery.

OP
B

BillK

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I've heard all these same old tired arguments before, and frankly find them tiring. Good day.

Skaw

White Belt
Reaction score
It's hard to learn (properly) with a proper sifu. It's even harder to learn without one.

MAfreak

Purple Belt
Reaction score
not sure on "gongfu" but basically, learning through videos is possible.
sure, not getting feedback is a problem. but training with videos is at least better than no training.
i would (and did with my own training) sometimes visit schools or events with experienced people from the specific style to get feedback or feel in sparring, if it works.

however if you don't have any martial arts experience, you should do karate or hapkido and do the video-"gongfu" along with it. then you have instrucors for the basics and should find a partner who would try also the stuff from the videos.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
not sure on "gongfu" but basically, learning through videos is possible.
sure, not getting feedback is a problem. but training with videos is at least better than no training.
i would (and did with my own training) sometimes visit schools or events with experienced people from the specific style to get feedback or feel in sparring, if it works.

however if you don't have any martial arts experience, you should do karate or hapkido and do the video-"gongfu" along with it. then you have instrucors for the basics and should find a partner who would try also the stuff from the videos.
Basics can be very very different from one system to another. Training in one and expecting it to transfer over to another is quite frankly, naive.

It's easy for people to convince themselves that they can learn thru video. You are fooling yourself.

Better to train in a system with a good instructor, than to train on video in a system without an instructor. Better to take up running, biking, swimming, and or weight training than to train by video without an instructor.

Video training is not better than nothing.

greytowhite

Green Belt
Reaction score
I used to be a video junkie, still have about half a TB of ripped and converted instructional videos on my external drive. Entire sets from people like Yang Jwing-Ming and Bruce Kumar Frantzis as well as many others. I can tell you right now that none of the xingyi videos I watched adequately prepared me for learning the art in person after the ming jing stage.

There are depths to Chinese arts that are contained within the basics. There are layers, once you have passed one then the teacher shows you the same exercise but now five times more difficult because you have a hint of what you're trying to achieve and getting it right is really lovely hard. I've learned three different ways to do one fist, each more difficult to understand than the last. Not applications but focus on body method. Crane is probably my favorite family of Southern Chinese styles. I can't imagine anyone getting anywhere close to where Liu Chang-I's skill without a teacher there to correct, guide, and mold that student into the proper Crane method.

I've heard all these same old tired arguments before, and frankly find them tiring. Good day.

Boo hoo! People tell you the truth and you're not fond of it because you've invested money in videos. Gong fu is hard to translate - roughly "skilled work from time and effort" - because many don't understand that the skill is a product only of correct effort in that time. If you are putting the time into these arts and are truly serious you owe it to yourself to find a good teacher. The videos work best as reminders and sometimes the lectures and theory is good. There is a saying amongst experienced gong fu artists, "It has to be felt." Otherwise, enjoy your hobby, the time you put into it, and the videos you paid for but don't expect skill.

OP
B

BillK

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Greytowhite, your assumptions are reaching th level of asinine, you might want to get that looked at.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Greytowhite, your assumptions are reaching th level of asinine, you might want to get that looked at.
Ok, then I invite you to enlighten us.

I get it: you want to train in something specific but there are no instructors nearby. Life ain't fair.

But if you care to justify your position (not that you need to, you can do what you want with your life and don't need to justify anything to us), I'm all ears. Or eyes, I guess.

Here's the thing. There are a lot of highly experienced folks here who have been around the block a few times. You came here for the first time last Sunday and put forth a notion of training in this way, and we see serious problems with your proposal. Instead of looking the other way, we gave you honest advice. Don't waste your money and, more importantly, your time in a misguided effort. You could spend years doing this and then discover that you have learned a tiny fraction of what you thought you learned, and all of it done incorrectly, with bad habits that are difficult to undo if you ever get to work with a good instructor. What a shame.

We are actually trying to help you avoid that mistake. There are other options that are much better. That is honest good advice.

Take it or leave it, but don't get upset just because our advice and our reaction is not what you had hoped for.

Further dialog is welcome.

MAfreak

Purple Belt
Reaction score
well as i wrote i'm not sure of gongfu, but normally the basics for striking and grappling are the same.
at least they should be (example body positioning and punches are same in karate, hapkido, boxing...) . sure, some chinese arts like wing chun do their own thing, but in most cases, the base is the same or there are small differences.
2913333.png
Cross_Kickboxing_Technique.jpg

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
well as i wrote i'm not sure of gongfu, but normally the basics for striking and grappling are the same.
at least they should be (example body positioning and punches are same in karate, hapkido, boxing...) . sure, some chinese arts like wing chun do their own thing, but in most cases, the base is the same or there are small differences.
2913333.png
Cross_Kickboxing_Technique.jpg
Among some systems their may be similar but even similarity on the surface could mask a couple dozen subtle differences that make all the difference in the world. Among others, absolutely not at all. My own system looks nothing like those pictures, we have a method of developing our basics that is rather unique and I am sure looks rather foreign to those who do not understand it.

Since the OP is interested in southern white crane, every video I've ever seen of that method indicates that it too has a very specific methodology that does not at all resemble your pictures.

If you want to learn southern white crane, you need a sifu who can properly teach you southern white crane. Not shotokan that you then hope to translate somehow. It just doesn't work that way.

MAfreak

Purple Belt
Reaction score
that makes me curious. do you have photos of your straight strikes or something to compare with the boxing/karate-example?

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
that makes me curious. do you have photos of your straight strikes or something to compare with the boxing/karate-example?
I do not, personally. However, you can do some YouTube-fu and find some poor examples. I've honestly not seen anything that I felt was of high quality, much of it is quite bad indeed. But at least you can see the shape of it. However, as I say, there are many subtleties that you will not see from watching a video. If anyone just tried to copy what they saw in the videos without some serious instruction in what is really going on underneath it it would be completely worthless. It really is not what it seems.

I train in Tibetan White Crane, a completely separate method from the southern white crane the OP is interested in. TWC is one of three sibling methods that came out of a Tibetan method. The other two are Hop Gar and Lama Pai. They are not the same, but all came from the same root system and have strong similarities.

Once you view a few things I could answer some questions you may have. I expect it will not at all look like what you believe a fighting method should look like.

Latest Discussions