Traditional MA's flowery impractical techniques

FriedRice

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I’ve watched a bunch of it in videos (yeah, I’m that guy right now :) ). It doesn’t look much different in that regard than wrestling, which I did quite a bit of.

No idea how that would be low cardio, except for an instance where you’ve got a guy who’s got a ton of experience paired up with a low rank, and he’s taking it really easy on him. But that high rank most likely has a really good cardio base from working with higher ranks regularly and knows how to pace himself, especially against newbies without that base.

That's exactly how it could be low cardio......there are fat guys who were once in phenomenal shape 15 years ago when they were blue belts competing, but now let it go .....and their game is mostly the stalling grip game with a strong grip and with the gi only. And they also come in late, to skip the warmup...and I'm talking every single time almost.

And Jitsu's 90 minute classes are low in cardio compared to Mai Thai's 90 min, usually. Because you do a 20-30 min. warmup, which is good in cardio....but then the next 30-40 min is low cardio, learning 1 or 2 techniques.....sitting there getting cold, then figuring it out by doing it slowly, lots of stop & go, then the Instructor stops the class to re-explain, etc......then the last 30-40 minutes is sparring, which is good cardio but again, you can lay and pray.

It also depends on the school and sometimes who's running the class, but this is average. Unless it's training for an upcoming competition, then it's warmup 30 mins then spar 60 mins, then another 20-30 minutes of mock competition. Our competition kid's class goes through this for 3 hours straight each day almost and we still only win the school trophy like 1 out 5.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Are you guys actually ever sparring with staffs, or are you just doing forms?
I would spar with staff as safely as I can. It's really difficult to spar with the staff because the other end of the staff comes around lighting fast, it comes up on you before you realize, other things such as pokes to the face are very dangerous. We talking about the risk of accidentally jabbing a wax wood staff into the face of your training partner. At that point there's no difference between getting hit in the face with wood or steel. I used to do grappling exercises where the set up is that one person is trying to take away the staff from the other (no kicking just staff techniques.) There is no plastic staff that would make you feel better about someone jabbing that staff into your face.

In the form the staff doesn't travel really fast, and that's because many Jow Ga schools use heavy staffs. They have weight on them. Can you swing staff's like that faster. Of course. That's the easy part. However stopping isn't that easy. I'll put it this way. I usually takes more strength to stop it than to get it going.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Jow Ga seems to be more functional and less flowery (from those 2 vids)....because I'm actually liking the more flowery styles like Shaolin Hung Fut for my weapons. Only question is, do I really want to pay like $150/month for this training when I haven't paid for BJJ/MT in like 7 years?
This is how we usually make Jow Ga look flowery. We do the form as intended and bring in some video editors lol

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Jow Ga in Australia is more flowery. There are still some functional stuff but they added some things to Jow Ga.

FriedRice

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Jow Ga in Australia is more flowery. There are still some functional stuff but they added some things to Jow Ga.

I'm really digging this. It's bringing me back to my childhood when I wanted to learn Kung-Fu.

So what are the Animal Systems, like Eagle Claw....does it exist. Is that like a Shaolin Kung-Fu component?

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Is Jow Ga somewhat related ot Baguazhang?
It's actually made of 3 martial arts systems. Hung Ga, Choy Ga, and Shaolin.

We have the Animal Systems and we have eagle claw..