Knowledge of the form -
Appropriate use of power-
Appropriate speed-
Adequate display of competitors skill-
and maybe, Adequate display of style-

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
The biggest thing I want to do is avoid too many age/skill level categories. I talked with my wife about two skill categories. She thinks red belt and above for a category, and everything lower in another category. I was thinking restricted (color belts), and then open (brown and above)

Things to think about. Will forms/weapons be coed? Will Fighting be coed?

Do you want 3rd Kyu crushing 8th Kyu in the youth fighting divisions?

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
I have two days at the conference to pull it off. I was thinking, for sparring, if I have around ten in a division, everybody fights everyone once in the preliminary. Placement is based on total points scored, or matches won. Top four compete in a first to five points basic bracket final round.

10 competitors generates 45 matches.

8 competitors generates 28matches

7 competitors generates 21 matches

6 competitors generates 15 matches

5 competitors generates 10 matches

4 competitors generate 6 matches

You might want to think about splitting each division with 8 or more into 2 pools and let the top two from each pool compete in a basic finals bracket.

So a 10 competitor division split in half would generate 20 matches instead of 45.....and would be much easier to get through.

OP
Runs With Fire

Runs With Fire

Black Belt
Reaction score

You might want to think about splitting each division with 8 or more into 2 pools and let the top two from each pool compete in a basic finals bracket.

So a 10 competitor division split in half would generate 20 matches instead of 45.....and would be much easier to get through.
That's a good point.

OP
Runs With Fire

Runs With Fire

Black Belt
Reaction score
Things to think about. Will forms/weapons be coed? Will Fighting be coed?

Do you want 3rd Kyu crushing 8th Kyu in the youth fighting divisions?
Everything coed. I know what you mean about being crushed, I just don't anticipate enough lower belts to have their own category.

OP
Runs With Fire

Runs With Fire

Black Belt
Reaction score
Somewhere I have some transparencies for an overhead projector for a round robin bracket ( Everything from ten to fifty participants). Used them for a pinecar derby at church. We'd take the one with the nearest largest number and cross out any matches with an unregistered number.

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
Everything coed. I know what you mean about being crushed, I just don't anticipate enough lower belts to have their own category.

Ok then that might not be a problem. Another thing to think about is Registration and Pre-Registration.

Our Organisation allows Registration at the door up until that division is called. But I am friends with others in an organisation that requires Pre-Registration only that ends at 24 hours prior to the tournament which allows them to go ahead and bracket all the divisons.

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score

ks - learning to fly

Senior Master
Reaction score
you've already received some good advice, but one
thing I would suggest is to have the Black Belt divisions
compete first - this way, you'll have them available to judge

OP
Runs With Fire

Runs With Fire

Black Belt
Reaction score
Ok then that might not be a problem. Another thing to think about is Registration and Pre-Registration.

Our Organisation allows Registration at the door up until that division is called. But I am friends with others in an organisation that requires Pre-Registration only that ends at 24 hours prior to the tournament which allows them to go ahead and bracket all the divisons.
I do believe pre-registration will be required just so I know what numbers we will be working with. At the conference, it will be hard to pry certain individuals from classes. Help will be limited. At the most, I will have two rings going. I need to know the numbers so I will actually know which type of round robin brackets I can manage. In the past, we have done 3-4 person round robin elimination. Winners of each group continue on to finals. I am trying to make it a bigger event ( as much as we can handle it). There are usually a small number of competitors, so I can make it a more involved tournament. But, by holding it at the conference, It could easily gather twice the participation. So, submit a pre registration form by mail, and on site event registration to account for no shows and assign competitors their numbers. Plus a briefing on the tournament system.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Round-robin (IMO) is best used to create more matches when the pools are quite small, so the competition doesn't end too fast or leave too many empty rings. Of course, the more matches you can hold at once, the more likely a round-robin format is to be a good fit.