Toughening knuckles (Please read more than the title)

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This was waaaaaaay back in the days when this was a brand new show
kfdvdpilot.jpg

A friend of mine in that class was called Grasshopper... as for me....besides being called "Makiwara"..... I was also called "Stump Jumper"...the trials and tribulations of being the biggest kid in the class :D
My wife is the one I usually call Grasshopper in class. She has about 10 years of training, and is starting to get some of the deeper concepts I teach. "Grasshopper" comes out when she has a moment of cognitive dissonance over a principle.

"But, won't that leave me off-balance?"
"Only if you are off-balance when you do it, Grasshopper."

This is often followed by a swat to my shoulder. Okay, a punch. My classes are a bit informal.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
My wife is the one I usually call Grasshopper in class. She has about 10 years of training, and is starting to get some of the deeper concepts I teach. "Grasshopper" comes out when she has a moment of cognitive dissonance over a principle.

"But, won't that leave me off-balance?"
"Only if you are off-balance when you do it, Grasshopper."

This is often followed by a swat to my shoulder. Okay, a punch. My classes are a bit informal.

After reading that I realized my memory was in error...I was called Stump Jumper, but my friend was called Weed Leaper, not Grasshopper.

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
It may not be intended for that, but it will provide some toughening. I like the fact that I get both.

It is a nice side benefit. The reason I pointed it out is that many people don't understand the makiwara and train in such a way that can lead to long term damage of their hands.

One of these is hitting a very hard and stationary object to focus on toughening the hands. While this may do that, if the makiwara doesn't have any give then you are going to damage your hands eventually if you are also trying to hit it hard.

The makiwara should have some "spring" to it which also conditions the punching mechanics.

Latest Discussions