Toshindo vs the grappler

OP
wiz cool c

wiz cool c

Orange Belt
Reaction score
thanks for the answer tony. i myself have done various arts for 30 years. i dont think i would have a 60 year old women with back problems rolling around though,just my opinion

tez i dont know if you are a women or man or how old you are or anything, but as i mentioned before ,Bujinkan also includes aspects outside of physical attacks, and the techniques have and are used by law enforcement. I also already mentioned I had a Bujinkan instructor that works at one of the worst prisons in the US and told me he uses his skills daily. At the old Bujinkan dojo we also had policemen and body guards that also used their skills in the real world, and these skills weren’t exactly created under peaceful conditions either.

Last edited:

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
ok Tony you have a lot of experience and a respectful attitude and i respect you for that. let me ask you ,if you were to teach a 60 year old lady that has back problems self defense would you teach her bjj tactics or bujinkan tactics such as improvised weapons and vital area attacks, be honest now?

It is not what you promise. It is what you deliver.

So you can have a system that teaches old women to fight a group of big men in the dark with weapons. But it dosent mean it is actually going to work.

A 60 year old in a mma school does not fair as well as a young athletic person because they just don't fight as well generally. And it is represented by the training.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
tez i dont know if you are a women or man or how old you are or anything,

I have just told you lol. I should also tell you I've used my martial arts also in the real world ( and for longer than even you) and quite often in my job before I retired. :D I'm not arguing about Bujinkan at all, my argument is that your perceptions of MMA are skewed.

I wouldn't write off a 60 year old woman rolling around by the way, people are a lot fitter these days and now in the West, 60 is regarded more as being middle aged rather than old. As for the back problems, if attacked that's the last thing you would worry about so if she needed to roll she'd roll!

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It is not what you promise. It is what you deliver.

So you can have a system that teaches old women to fight a group of big men in the dark with weapons. But it dosent mean it is actually going to work.

A 60 year old in a mma school does not fair as well as a young athletic person because they just don't fight as well generally. And it is represented by the training.

Tsk tsk! really it depends on the 60 year old woman doesn't it, if she's had 50 years of martial arts training and fighting then perhaps the young ones should worry. As for fighting as well...that's a matter of opinion, you learn as you get older to fight clever......and dirty. :D

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Eh.. I got subbed by a 58 year-old female blue belt a few years back. She caught me slipping, and I got a kimura for my troubles. :(

The moral of the story is don't underestimate your elders.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
. i dont think i would have a 60 year old women with back problems rolling around though,just my opinion

Not sure if by "rolling around" you mean ukemi, sparring, or just ground fighting in general. I spent a lot of time in the Bujinkan "rolling around" in that first sense.

As far as ground fighting goes - an elderly woman who is physically attacked by a larger opponent has an excellent chance of being knocked down. If she wants the ability to defend herself once she's on the ground, she will have to spend time training on the ground. If she's physically unable to handle training on the ground, then being knocked down will mean she has lost the fight.

As far as sparring goes, that depends. You develop a lot of important tools from it, but your body can pay a price. At a certain point the trade-off may not be worth it for some individuals. When I teach BJJ, I use a number of live and semi-live drills that are more focused than normal sparring/randori and some of those might be more appropriate for an elderly student with physical limitations.

Bujinkan also includes aspects outside of physical attacks, and the techniques have and are used by law enforcement. I also already mentioned I had a Bujinkan instructor that works at one of the worst prisons in the US and told me he uses his skills daily. At the old Bujinkan dojo we also had policemen and body guards that also used their skills in the real world, and these skills weren’t exactly created under peaceful conditions either.

Sure. There are also law enforcement officers who train Karate, BJJ, Judo, and a host of other arts who swear that their art works for them in the course of their duties. It never hurts to ask them for specific examples of how they've applied their art and learn from their experience.

It does seem that you've drifted quite a bit away from the original question though. This isn't the "Is Bujinkan training great or does it suck?" thread.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Tsk tsk! really it depends on the 60 year old woman doesn't it, if she's had 50 years of martial arts training and fighting then perhaps the young ones should worry. As for fighting as well...that's a matter of opinion, you learn as you get older to fight clever......and dirty. :D

Perhaps. But if she dosent then she dosent. You shouldn't have to manipulate the training so she is winning all the time.

bigfootsquatch

Purple Belt
Reaction score
In fairness, there are BJJ practitioners who train just for the sport and don't care at all about the self-defense applications. I even personally know a couple of black belts who fall into that category.

I wouldn't venture to say what percentage of the BJJ student base has that attitude. I do know there are a lot more schools these days that only focus on preparing for tournaments than there used to be.

I personally think folks who take that approach are missing out on a large part of the art, but they're having fun and it's not my business to tell them they're wrong.

I agree with you, but most people who continually talk about "sports arts" are training against an overextended lunge punch and have never set foot in a bjj school, and we don't judge xkans because of completely unrealistic training methods and the internet warriors it produces.

AND, there are plenty of BJJ/MMA internet warriors too, so don't think I'm being biased :). I also train in both.

Last edited:

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
What? who said anything about 'manipulating' the training? sweetheart, the 60 year old is the bloody instructor lol!

And i am sure she cleans up everybody in the room.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And i am sure she cleans up everybody in the room.

It worries me a bit that you miss the point of so many posts, not just mine but there you go. C'est la vie.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
It worries me a bit that you miss the point of so many posts, not just mine but there you go. C'est la vie.

The point is you are awsome and all your friends are awsome. I agree with you. They do seem awsome.

Now we have got that out of the way. Back on to the subject.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
It's at least worth considering that hubris might be something to beware of if you are 60 years old and wipe the mat with all comers. Technique matters a great deal, but size, strength, athleticism and youth are also important factors in combat.

kuniggety

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
It's at least worth considering that hubris might be something to beware of if you are 60 years old and wipe the mat with all comers. Technique matters a great deal, but size, strength, athleticism and youth are also important factors in combat.

Technique over age :D

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

Technique over age :D

Are we comparing like for like here? Or are we comparing somone with the advantage of ten plus years training.

Look if it will preserve some egos lets just say a 60 year old will progress in martial arts as fast as a 20 year old.
Does everybody feel warm and fuzzy now?

OP
wiz cool c

wiz cool c

Orange Belt
Reaction score
in my 30 year of martial arts, I have done both traditional styles like, tang soo do,bujinkan,shaolin kung fu[which I still do],bagua zhang and Tai Chi. Also sport systems like judo, bjj,sombo and tai boxing. I am more of a traditionalist to be honest, I have never been the competitive type. I am good at sparring and fighting but not good at competiting. It just goes against who I am, I don’t feel the need to go out and win., I have always been a defense fighter and that works for me. I have nothing against grappling or MMA, one of my best friends and coaches here in china is a pro fighter Yao Honggang, his little brother is fighting in korea in the UFC in a week or two I think.

For me I don’t like people telling me only MMA and grappling is useful for a real fight,why? Cause it is not true. How do I know it is not true? Cause I have used many traditional techniques in real fights that grapplers/mma guys on the internet would swear don’t work. These techniques do work and work well, but again fights on the street have many variables that competitions don’t. That is not to say a MMA guy or grappler competitor cant fight on the street. but for someone not competing, maybe older less fit, have injuries or disabilities these sportive methods may not be the best alternative. These days sports guys have the blinders on and think the whole world wants to be the next UFC champ and is under 30 and a super badass, its childish really..

OP
wiz cool c

wiz cool c

Orange Belt
Reaction score
if we are to say talking techniques to teach a 60 year old women with back problems self defense form bujinkan system. Can start with teaching her how to use common object as weapons, in bujinkan or ninjutsu there are 5 categories of weapons, flexible, blunt, projectile, bladed and combination. So basically anything can be used as a weapon. Next there are some nice nasty clawing ,striking pinching poking methods to defend against grabs and hold, which can cause enough pain to allow time to [escape] yes escape is the key here. I would incorporate a basic break fall, that could actually work double as a back exercise and a break fall, and possible some simple escapes from the ground to get back to your feet to run away.

Also could talk about and train how to listen to your gut feeling and prepare ahead of time. For example the second you feel something is not right ,you can take out say a pen and hold it in your hand, maybe before you enter the building, or when walking alone at night on the street, or if some guy is acting crazy on the bus.
People here keep mentioning grappling and MMA, but are ignoring the points that I stated many situation that grappling would not work [on the street]. before I mentioned a time when I was in a leg cast and had a jealous guy stalking me. Anyone here like grappling with a cast on after reconstructive knee surgery? But I had a cane with me at all times and am familiar with using a cane as a weapon through a self defense art like bujinkan. I also used evasive tactics to travel around in as low key and unseen way as possible being a foreigner in a cast with a cane. these are also psychological techniques that are taught in systems like ninjutsu, not for sport but for self protection.

kuniggety

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Are we comparing like for like here? Or are we comparing somone with the advantage of ten plus years training.

Look if it will preserve some egos lets just say a 60 year old will progress in martial arts as fast as a 20 year old.
Does everybody feel warm and fuzzy now?

99.999999999999999% of people don't have the skill set of Relson Gracie. I really agree with you as age/physique/sex/etc really are important. I linked the video because I think it's funny to watch.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The point is you are awsome and all your friends are awsome. I agree with you. They do seem awsome.

Now we have got that out of the way. Back on to the subject.

What a strange post. You really go way off on a tangent sometimes, in fact so far off it's incomprehensible.

Latest Discussions