top 10 over rated actors of all time?

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'd agree about Sean - fabulous star but, as I noted when I tried to show the difference, he's Sean Connery in everything he does. Please note that I'm not saying being a film star is a bad thing because clearly it isn't.

You will note tho', despite John's interjection, that most of the 'stars' aspire to act on the stage because they know that is where the real work is done. Oh and yes, most of the best actors are British, ones who have honed their craft the hard way ... so stick that in your Hollywood-Sign-Shaped colonial pipe and smoke it :p. There are some notable exceptions of course, for, with so many people or different backgrounds to draw from there have to be some decent American actors.

Oh and to complete my disagreeing with everyone phase, I happen to like the movies Tom Cruise makes on the whole - Last Samurai is one of my most watched films of all time :D.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I never said or thought that Cruise was a "great actor" ... he's good when he's given specific roles but as a greatest of all time lister... umm... no.

As for Sir Connery... he did star on stage prior to film. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sean_Connery#Career... but ennyway he's Scot and not British, and according to his tattoo he's damned proud of it too.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Speaking of Sean Connery, gotta love this fight scene.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
what a load of rubbish.

sean connery a stage star?

get thee to a 12 step program.

FAST....

oh, and regarding the tendancy od bristtish stars to act on stage, you know what they say "when you aint pretty enough for the movies.............."

Wow, back, rude and missed the point already. I was pointing out that they had titles. You know, the 'Sir' bit and that it's Sir John Gielgud not 'Arthur John Gielgud' as was written
It's a shame you can't disagree with people without being nasty with it.

Sir Sean Connery is British btw hence the knighthood.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Wow, back, rude and missed the point already. I was pointing out that they had titles. You know, the 'Sir' bit and that it's Sir John Gielgud not 'Arthur John Gielgud' as was written
It's a shame you can't disagree with people without being nasty with it.

Sir Sean Connery is British btw hence the knighthood.
I thought he was Scottish. :)

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Scot by birth, Brit by acclimation/knighting from the queen.

What? Scotland is part of both the United Kingdom and Great Britain since the Act of Union in 1706. It may have it's own government since 2000 but it's not an independant country yet. The Queen can't make people British citizens by knighting them. Sir Sean has always had a British passport since he's always been a British subject having been born one.

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Jim Carrey I HATE his movies I dont find him funny at all.

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Reaction score
Seriously? It doesn't take a lot of acting skill to shoot people, blow things up and act like a badass...
It must take work to KEEP the accent after all these years...

he depends a lot on his supporting cast, but he's shown moments of almost Cary Grant like charm and comedic timing in movies like Twins and Kindergarten Cop.

And I just love True Lies, and can't think of anyone else playing it (at the time it was made, anyway....)

Sukerkin

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Mmmm ... Jamie Lee Curtis ... {startles} Oh sorry, was just having a 'True Lies' flashback that lead in turn to a 'Trading Places' flashback.

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I don't think he is either but if I say that people think it's odd! He makes me cringe.
Yep same here alot of my friends think he is funny. When I say he sucks they think Im nuts. Maybe I need new friends.

OP
B

billc

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I think Jim Carrey's problem is he goes way over the top to get the laugh. If he pulled back a little he might be funnier.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
What? Scotland is part of both the United Kingdom and Great Britain since the Act of Union in 1706. It may have it's own government since 2000 but it's not an independent country yet. The Queen can't make people British citizens by knighting them. Sir Sean has always had a British passport since he's always been a British subject having been born one.
Oh yeah? Tell that to William Wallace... LOL It is reputed that Connery *ahem* Sir Connery has a tattoo that reads Scotland Forever!

Jim Carrey I HATE his movies I dont find him funny at all.
I've seen a few of his movies and at best given it a mild chuckle. Friends around me (like yourself) were rolling. Made me wonder if my sense of humor had worn off... I realized that it didn't, thankfully. Never really caught any of his "serious" films unless you want to count Truman Show. Either way, he's going to be listed as one of the funniest of all time in someone's (clueless) list sooner or later if he isn't already.
I only remember laughing aloud at him when I first saw him on a HBO Rodney Dangerfield Young Comedians Special. I believe at the time it was his first televised appearance. He morphed his face into several well known actors and it was bloody brilliant. Beyond that... nothing more than a mere chuckle or two.

[yt]hb4t3wzL058[/yt] [yt]RbIq-f1_Dr4[/yt]

Last edited:

Sukerkin

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Oh yeah? Tell that to William Wallace... LOL It is reputed that Connery *ahem* Sir Connery has a tattoo that reads Scotland Forever!

That's because Sir Sean is professionally Scottish, you only have to watch any film he's in to realise that - he still doesn't have a Scottish passport tho' ... he has a British one because that's what he is. Giving them a separate parliament was a terrible idea, too much blood was spilt to unite the country to give it away because it seemed politically expedient at the time. But that's a whole other thread ...

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I've seen a few of his movies and at best given it a mild chuckle. Friends around me (like yourself) were rolling. Made me wonder if my sense of humor had worn off... I realized that it didn't, thankfully. Never really caught any of his "serious" films unless you want to count Truman Show. Either way, he's going to be listed as one of the funniest of all time in someone's (clueless) list sooner or later if he isn't already.
I only remember laughing aloud at him when I first saw him on a HBO Rodney Dangerfield Young Comedians Special. I believe at the time it was his first televised appearance. He morphed his face into several well known actors and it was bloody brilliant. Beyond that... nothing more than a mere chuckle or two.

William Wallace was 500 years before the Act of Union. England was joined to Scotland when Elizabeth the first died and Mary Queen of Scots son James inherited both thrones. Old as Sir Sean ( actually it's Sir James) is he's a bit younger than either of these events.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
That's because Sir Sean is professionally Scottish, you only have to watch any film he's in to realise that - he still doesn't have a Scottish passport tho' ... he has a British one because that's what he is. Giving them a separate parliament was a terrible idea, too much blood was spilt to unite the country to give it away because it seemed politically expedient at the time. But that's a whole other thread ...

I am guilty of pushing the rain off the tracks here...

but isn't a large part of the political spectrum London centered, so much of the countryside does not feel like they are adequately represented? (meaning that nationality aside, it might be more beneficial to the region than being guided by bigwigs from far away?

Josh Oakley

Senior Master
Supporting Member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Hanks is crap. One character he just plays over and over. Which is a legitimate criticism of most actors. Very few are true chameleons.

So, in most cases, it's not whether an actor is good or bad. It's more whether you like the character they happen to play. For example, Clooney vs Hanks. I like Clooney and don't like Hanks. Objectively, they're both character actors who have made their fortunes largely based upon their likability. Question is, do you like their particular character?

This I can't get behind at all. The Davinci Code, Saving Private Ryan, Forrest Gump, The Terminal, Turner and Hooch.

These are all one character? I call BS.

Josh Oakley

Senior Master
Supporting Member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
William Wallace was 500 years before the Act of Union. England was joined to Scotland when Elizabeth the first died and Mary Queen of Scots son James inherited both thrones. Old as Sir Sean ( actually it's Sir James) is he's a bit younger than either of these events.

Mildly confused. Are you saying that Sean Connery's first name is James? Because I'm pretty sure it is Thomas.

Latest Discussions