top 10 over rated actors of all time?

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
Nicholson was awesome in One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, Few Good Men, Shining, As Good as it Gets, and Easy Rider, off the top of my head.

I agree with Caver regarding DiCaprio. I like him and he's getting better as he gets older. I put him in the category where most actors/actresses fall. They don't make good movies bad, but aren't good enough to make a bad movie good. If that makes sense. He's solid... neutral.

Clooney was terrific in Up in the Air. But he's at his best when he's playing a rackish rogue, as in Ocean's 11, or quirky comedy, like Oh Brother Where Art Thou. Is he going to win an academy award any time soon? Maybe not, but that doesn't make him over rated.

I think that was the author's point. Clooney is really good when he plays the same type of character such as in Ocean's 11. All of the Nicholson movies you listed were good movies and Nicholson did a good job, but if you look at the type of character in each of those it is very similar to how it was played, which is basically a mean prick in all those movies.

But, I think overall, that is what most actors/actresses do. They end up playing the same types of roles over and over because that is what they are good at and what the director wanted.

Not on the list, but also not heralded as a great actor is Vince Vaughan. The man has made an ENTIRE career of playing the exact same character in every single movie.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Sorry, but anybody who puts tom hanks on that list is smoking dope.

Cast Away SUCKED. but I suppose everybody is entitled to a bad movie once in a while....

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I think that was the author's point. Clooney is really good when he plays the same type of character such as in Ocean's 11. All of the Nicholson movies you listed were good movies and Nicholson did a good job, but if you look at the type of character in each of those it is very similar to how it was played, which is basically a mean prick in all those movies.

But, I think overall, that is what most actors/actresses do. They end up playing the same types of roles over and over because that is what they are good at and what the director wanted.

Not on the list, but also not heralded as a great actor is Vince Vaughan. The man has made an ENTIRE career of playing the exact same character in every single movie.
I would agree, accept that he put Dustin Hoffman and Merril Streep on the list, two actors who have demonstrated astounding range over decades of work. That kind of undermines his entire message.

Just to be clear. I think these kinds of articles are fun because they generate discussion. Particularly when they're easily disputed and poorly reasoned, like this one. :)

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I would agree, accept that he put Dustin Hoffman and Merril Streep on the list, two actors who have demonstrated astounding range over decades of work. That kind of undermines his entire message.

Just to be clear. I think these kinds of articles are fun because they generate discussion. Particularly when they're easily disputed and poorly reasoned, like this one. :)

heck, the kid wasn't alive when 90% of the people on his list worked...

:lfao:

Twin Fist

Grandmaster
Reaction score
this
I'd disagree with that. Just because a couple of them on there may be liberal, I'd agree with alot of his assessments. If he was trying to slam Hollywood liberals, you'd see Sean Penn on there or Tim Robbins.

if the list was just to make points against liberals, why include people long dead who's political stances are unknown like tracy and peck?

no, the fact is the list is spot on with most of the selections.

Jack nicholson is crap, and has played the same character over and over since terms of endearment.

meryl strep is a great actor, but cannot play a likable woman....

clooney? crap to the second power. ONE character, he just plays it over and over.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
i do disagree with hanks. I think Hanks is a very good actor.
Hanks is crap. One character he just plays over and over. Which is a legitimate criticism of most actors. Very few are true chameleons.

So, in most cases, it's not whether an actor is good or bad. It's more whether you like the character they happen to play. For example, Clooney vs Hanks. I like Clooney and don't like Hanks. Objectively, they're both character actors who have made their fortunes largely based upon their likability. Question is, do you like their particular character?

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Hanks is crap. One character he just plays over and over. Which is a legitimate criticism of most actors. Very few are true chameleons.

So, in most cases, it's not whether an actor is good or bad. It's more whether you like the character they happen to play. For example, Clooney vs Hanks. I like Clooney and don't like Hanks. Objectively, they're both character actors who have made their fortunes largely based upon their likability. Question is, do you like their particular character?

I take you don't like him, but you can't say he is playing the same character over and over.

He does need a good villain, sure, but nah, he is versatile

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Hanks? He plays a lot of different roles, but he plays them all the same. He's right in there with Keanu Reeves. Sure, Keanu was in Much Ado About Nothing, but he played that role the same as he played the kid in Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure, which is also how he played Neo.

Same with Hanks. He's one part vulnerable, one part introspection, two parts sensitive and a dash of masculinity.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Hanks? He plays a lot of different roles, but he plays them all the same. He's right in there with Keanu Reeves. Sure, Keanu was in Much Ado About Nothing, but he played that role the same as he played the kid in Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure, which is also how he played Neo.

Same with Hanks. He's one part vulnerable, one part introspection, two parts sensitive and a dash of masculinity.

put down that pipe

Reeves and Hanks in one breath, I know you are smoking!
:lfao:

Omar B

Senior Master
Reaction score
Firstly, dramas suck and I hate them so that eliminated most of that list. I watch movies to have a good time so it's action, comedy, sci-fi, fantasy. So from that list I actually like Clooney, he's got a Cary Grant vibe which I dig, but my list of actors hews closer to 80's action movie stars.

mook jong man

Senior Master
Reaction score
I don't mind actors that always play the same type of parts , at least before you see the movie you pretty much know what you are going to get.I like Gary Busey , he's no pretty boy , he might not be the worlds greatest actor and a he's a bit of a fruit loop , but he's pretty good at what he does ,which is playing dangerous sociopaths.

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I think a lot of the apparent disagreements between people in this thread is that we are forgetting there is a difference between an 'actor' and a 'film star'. For example, John Wayne was a terrible actor (well, that's not being fair but it's just to illustrate the point) but an awesome film star - he was 'John Wayne' in pretty much every film he did. The same with Clint Eastwood (who is a good director in my book) or James Coburn. One of my great favourites is Jimmy Stewart, who perhaps managed more than most stars to strip the shackles off and do some real acting, as did Henry Fonda.

Sometimes that clash between a desire to 'act' and the demands to be a 'star' can be very destructive to a person - Monroe springs to mind immediately on that score.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Acting is a difficult profession. It's one thing to "act" a different way than you are, but when you are doing it for money it's a different story. When you carry it out to acting at it's professional zenith - which is what we're talking about, it's harder still. So let's look at what was said "over rated actors of all time."

Over rated - how, exactly? By popularity? Can't be that, this list comprises some of the most beloved actors by the movie viewing public of all time. You and I might not like some of them, but the people that pay for movies do. They adore them.
By box office success? Can't be that, either. The actors listed were money making machines, they were conglomerates. I don't care much for Leonardo, but Titanic, which he had the lead in, made over a billion dollars just on video and dvd rentals alone. By recognition from the industry in which they work? Look up the academy award nominations, and the number of Oscars, it's mind boggling.

So, over rated how?

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I think a lot of the apparent disagreements between people in this thread is that we are forgetting there is a difference between an 'actor' and a 'film star'. For example, John Wayne was a terrible actor (well, that's not being fair but it's just to illustrate the point) but an awesome film star - he was 'John Wayne' in pretty much every film he did. The same with Clint Eastwood (who is a good director in my book) or James Coburn. One of my great favourites is Jimmy Stewart, who perhaps managed more than most stars to strip the shackles off and do some real acting, as did Henry Fonda.

Sometimes that clash between a desire to 'act' and the demands to be a 'star' can be very destructive to a person - Monroe springs to mind immediately on that score.
Cor, mate! On that note then let us not forget these folks; Sean Connery, Lawrence Oliver, Rex Harrison, Julie Andrews (who made us feel good with laughter and music), Gary Oldman (talk about versatility and a chameleon), Oliver Reed, Arthur John Gielgud, Judeth Anderson, Judi Dench and practically everyone else on this list http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_English_people#Actors_and_actresses... t'up! Pip, pip cheerio and all that what?

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
"Arthur John Gielgud"? That's Sir John Gielgud surely and Dame Judi Dench, Sir Sean Connery, Sir Lawrence Olivier etc

They are all stage actors first and film stars second, as I said real actors come from the stage.

Twin Fist

Grandmaster
Reaction score
"Arthur John Gielgud"? That's Sir John Gielgud surely and Dame Judi Dench, Sir Sean Connery, Sir Lawrence Olivier etc

They are all stage actors first and film stars second, as I said real actors come from the stage.

what a load of rubbish.

sean connery a stage star?

get thee to a 12 step program.

FAST....

oh, and regarding the tendancy od bristtish stars to act on stage, you know what they say "when you aint pretty enough for the movies.............."

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Jesus Christ. Really? So, in order to be a real actor you have to be a stage actor? And, what's been strongly implied is that in order to be a Stage actor you have to be British?

Sean Connery isn't a great actor. He's a terrific film star, by Sukerkin's definition.

FWIW, I put him in with Tom Cruise. They both pick, for the most part, great roles. From time to time, they both put out some great work. Tom Cruise was TERRIFIC in Last Samurai, and I appreciate the strength of his performance more each time I watch the movie. Even at their worst, neither makes a good movie bad or a bad movie worse. If anything, they are neutral or actually improve the movie they're in.

But neither is what I'd call a GREAT actor. Good movie stars, though.

Latest Discussions