Senior Master
Reaction score
Sorry. There can be only 1!

3923534_f496.jpg

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
The only one I agree with is Tom hanks.

Some over rated actors, in my opinion include downey jr, Julia Roberts, harrison ford, and tommy lee jones.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Ya know I'm kidding about the Arnold thing right? If anything he is way under rated.
Seriously? It doesn't take a lot of acting skill to shoot people, blow things up and act like a badass...
It must take work to KEEP the accent after all these years...

WC_lun

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'd add the Baldwins. Haven't seen anything with any of them that have particularly impressed me.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think the title should have been 'movie' or for us 'film' actors. Real actors act on the stage where every bit of their techniques, emotional awareness, timing etc is on show and can be judged in person by the audience. Making films is easy just redo a scene if it's not right, on the stage it's live and has to be right. Very few film actors can make it on the stage. The only Americans I can think of are Kevin Spacey who's also the artistic director at the Old Vic here and Gillian Anderson.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Interesting list. Those actors have been nominated for thirty Academy Awards between them, but I guess that doesn't count. Anyone who's read Shapiro (the author of that list) knows his stance on Hollywood, especially on Hollywood democrats, which happens to comprise that list.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Interesting list. Those actors have been nominated for thirty Academy Awards between them, but I guess that doesn't count. Anyone who's read Shapiro (the author of that list) knows his stance on Hollywood, especially on Hollywood democrats, which happens to comprise that list.

I haven't read Shapiro but you can always take an educated guess than when Bill posts up these things they are always pro right and anti left lol! I take it for granted now that anything he posts up is slanted that way. :)

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I haven't read Shapiro but you can always take an educated guess than when Bill posts up these things they are always pro right and anti left lol! I take it for granted now that anything he posts up is slanted that way. :)

Slanted?

You mean like the sides of mt Everest?

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I think the title should have been 'movie' or for us 'film' actors. Real actors act on the stage where every bit of their techniques, emotional awareness, timing etc is on show and can be judged in person by the audience. Making films is easy just redo a scene if it's not right, on the stage it's live and has to be right. Very few film actors can make it on the stage. The only Americans I can think of are Kevin Spacey who's also the artistic director at the Old Vic here and Gillian Anderson.
Oh Tez, your bias is showing. Why do you hate America? We love you guys! Liv Schreiber, Hugh Jackman, Ed Norton, Neil Patrick Harris, Nathan Lane, Matthew Broderick, Mandy Patinkin, Kelsey Grammar, Jude Law, James Earl Jones. I know a couple of those guys are Aussies, but this is off the top of my head. Some Brits in the mix, too. Ewan McGregor and the kid from Harry Potter and Cate Blanchett from

Anyway, lots of actors try it, most are unsuccessful. But many move back and forth with aplomb.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Hmph, If that is his "worst" list then I'd like to see his "best/greatest" list.
Hmm, if all these are so bad then why are they so popular? I guess he's the only one with great taste in the country. True some actors do seem to re-perform the same character from their last three films which was a spin off from the character they portrayed two films earlier and so on.
Actors can only work with the scripts and directors they're given. Directors are responsible for making sure the actor is doing their job and "putting the corresponding face to the corresponding emotion"* and giving the potential audience exactly what the character in the film is feeling/thinking/doing/et al.
Spencer Tracy was one of those actors that could be given a script a week or two before filming starts, and then show up and never have to refer back to it again. He was known for even reminding the other actors of their lines. Called I think a photographic memory. I've seen a lot of Tracy's films and I haven't seen the same character. Hepburn basically the same as far as her performances, particularly when acting alongside Tracy who helped many an actor do their best.
As for Peck, his range was good. His Ahab was radically different from his Atticus Finch as was his Captian Mallory (Guns Of Navarone)...
DeCaprio is IMO getting better. I recall first seeing him in Gilbert Grape and actually thought he was retarded, his later films were not bad but he's still learning IMO.
Streep... the woman has won more academy awards than any other actress previous to her... what does that say?
Nicholson. Nuff said. The man knows what he's doing in front of the camera, and has managed to do well with his characters.

Like I said I'd like to see that guy's greatest 10 list and see what he considers good.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Nicholson was awesome in One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, Few Good Men, Shining, As Good as it Gets, and Easy Rider, off the top of my head.

I agree with Caver regarding DiCaprio. I like him and he's getting better as he gets older. I put him in the category where most actors/actresses fall. They don't make good movies bad, but aren't good enough to make a bad movie good. If that makes sense. He's solid... neutral.

Clooney was terrific in Up in the Air. But he's at his best when he's playing a rackish rogue, as in Ocean's 11, or quirky comedy, like Oh Brother Where Art Thou. Is he going to win an academy award any time soon? Maybe not, but that doesn't make him over rated.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's not a list of actors based on their acting or even lack of acting skills it's a list of actors who's political leanings aren't approved of by the list maker. I actually prefer to see acting live and love the theatre, films are fine but the intimacy and 'aliveness' of the stage to me is far more enjoyable and I love getting into the story. Films for me are just light entertainment, watched then forgotten basically. I can admire the acting skills though of any actor despite what he thinks about things outside of his /her work.

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'd add the Baldwins. Haven't seen anything with any of them that have particularly impressed me.

I wouldn't add them simply because people never go on and on about what a great actor they are. They might be popular in movies or in a lot of them, but never heard anyone comment on their skill as an actor.

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
It's not a list of actors based on their acting or even lack of acting skills it's a list of actors who's political leanings aren't approved of by the list maker. I actually prefer to see acting live and love the theatre, films are fine but the intimacy and 'aliveness' of the stage to me is far more enjoyable and I love getting into the story. Films for me are just light entertainment, watched then forgotten basically. I can admire the acting skills though of any actor despite what he thinks about things outside of his /her work.

I'd disagree with that. Just because a couple of them on there may be liberal, I'd agree with alot of his assessments. If he was trying to slam Hollywood liberals, you'd see Sean Penn on there or Tim Robbins.