Toolbox concept

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
To me, those are all tactics. Your strategy is what you want to accomplish overall. IMO this is why grapplers tend to be more successful. They understand what they are trying to accomplish and do it. For example, a grappler's strategy in most cases is: Safely close the distance, take the opponent to the ground, obtain dominate position and submit. Within those three things are when your tactics come in to play of HOW to safely close the distance with each type of opponent, HOW are you going to take them to the ground, etc. When you are a striker, what is your overall goal with your strikes? Just keep hitting until he stops? Are you striking to dominate or are you striking to escape the situation safely?

Most people don't have a strategy when it comes to self-defense, so they stay at the "tactic and technique" level of a confrontation. For example, your strategy is different if it is your drunken friend and you don't want to hurt him, it is different if you have someone with you that you need to protect. How do certain environments effect your tools? For example, in a parking lot between two cars where there isn't much room to move around versus a mostly empty parking lot.

It's the same but layered.

Grappling has something like a hierarchy of position.(I keep forgetting the term)

And this is the same if you wanted to hold someone as it is if you want to kill someone.

And there are some pretty basic concepts that will get you there.

So you have this sort of pathway and you have these techniques that negates the obstacles they put on your way.

Now all you really need to do is change the destination. But you are still using the same tools in the toolbox.

So the pathway is standard positional dominance on the ground for a submission.

But had he wanted to go for a standing arm bar or take a weapon off a guy or take the guys back and either strike, choke or escape he could have done so.

Had he wanted to retain his own weapon he could have done so from there.

It just depends what direction they want to go.

Last edited:

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
So here would be an arm drag toolbox concept.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The embracing throw can be used to counter all the body contact throws (your back touch on your opponent's chest).

This old man is my teacher's young brother. He was 73 years in that clip. I weight 185 lb back then. He could still pick me up. The key is the "belly bouncing" skill that require a lot of training. It's not used the arms strength.

To train the embracing throw is not to develop strong arms muscle, but to develop "belly bouncing" skill.

I agree. But those aren't what Jobo was describing, since he was talking about using strength only.

OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
So here would be an arm drag toolbox concept.

Now we may get into principle/strategy toolbox. IMO, when there are too many toolboxes, it's better that there is no toolbox at all.

When the praying mantis system was created, the founder tried to create one from to summary all the important PM skills. Since the creator created 6 summary forms, the purpose of the "summary" became meaningless.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Now we may get into principle/strategy toolbox. IMO, when there are too many toolboxes, it's better that there is no toolbox at all.

When the praying mantis system was created, the founder tried to create one from to summary all the important PM skills. Since the creator created 6 summary forms, the purpose of the "summary" became meaningless.

My idea of a tool box is more a combination of techniques that is doing the job of one technique. Just better.

So this transition would be a toolbox. And combining them makes each technique higher percentage.

OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Yeah they are called being pretty crap at throwing people.
Even if just use the brute strength, there is a easy way to do the embracing. It's called the elephant nose embracing. You use your forearm to upward strike into your opponent's groin, when he jumps up, you borrow his jumping force and pick him up.

Next time when someone says that he has strong rooting and cannot be picked up, if you try this, it will always work 100%. :D

elephant-nose.jpg

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Even if just use the brute strength, there is a easy way to do the embracing. It's called the elephant nose embracing. You use your forearm to upward strike into your opponent's groin, when he jumps up, you borrow his jumping force and pick him up.

Next time when someone says that he has strong rooting and cannot be picked up, if you try this, it will always work 100%. :D

elephant-nose.jpg

High crotch is definitely one that can be either technique or strength.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

Next time when someone says that he has strong rooting and cannot be picked up, if you try this, it will always work 100%.up.

See this to me is an unbalancing throw. Rather than just trying to muscle the guy

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
And by the way. For anyone who doesn't think wrestling is terrifying. Here is a technique for you.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My idea of a tool box is more a combination of techniques that is doing the job of one technique. Just better.

So this transition would be a toolbox. And combining them makes each technique higher percentage.
So, kind of the idea of having several useful tools and being able to use each where it's best suited, rather than forcing one to work where it's only so-so.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

elephant-nose.jpg
I'd say that's not just using brute strength then. You broke his structure before you picked him up.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
You are talking about very high level and very abstract.

The following principles have little meaning to me.

- A punch/kick is to move your fist/foot from one point to another point.
- A lock is to move your opponent's joint to the direction that can hurt him.
- A throw is to take your opponent's balance off.
- The most important principle of MA is to against your opponent's well.

I prefer to call those "common sense" instead.
Those aren’t principles. Those are common sense, on a very simple level.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I'd say that's not just using brute strength then. You broke his structure before you picked him up.
your using the term, brute strengh as if thete is something demeanibg in it, 200 lbs is a reasonably averafe soz3 for an adult male, 400 lbs is a weight that 200 lbs man can reasonably lift off the floo4, liftibg another 200 lbs man up isnt the greatest challenge, and not really requiring brute strengh, if that even has a meaning

Latest Discussions