Took you long enough to figure this out!

bljohnson

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Is it just me or does anyone else happen to do this also. Your instructor tells you time and time again this is important because of ... So you put that in the back of your mind for safe keeping and then years later LIGHT BULB ! That's why this is so important. I have been training for 17 yrs now and the things that I knew were important some times just hit me from a different perspective and it can change everything for you. Recently I had a revelation and it has simplified my taijutsu greatly. I suppose knowing something is important is good but without years of hard training, some sweat, and a little blood now and again you can never get to the point of the reason why it is so important. The difficult thing is what can be a game changer for me you may have known for years and your break through some one else new from the very start of their training. Everyone has their own training experiences because everyone moves differently but sometimes I think wow if I had only could have understood this much when I started but I suppose that is the point in training. You have to figure these things out for yourself.

Sanke

Green Belt
Reaction score
Is it just me or does anyone else happen to do this also. Your instructor tells you time and time again this is important because of ... So you put that in the back of your mind for safe keeping and then years later LIGHT BULB ! That's why this is so important. I have been training for 17 yrs now and the things that I knew were important some times just hit me from a different perspective and it can change everything for you. Recently I had a revelation and it has simplified my taijutsu greatly. I suppose knowing something is important is good but without years of hard training, some sweat, and a little blood now and again you can never get to the point of the reason why it is so important. The difficult thing is what can be a game changer for me you may have known for years and your break through some one else new from the very start of their training. Everyone has their own training experiences because everyone moves differently but sometimes I think wow if I had only could have understood this much when I started but I suppose that is the point in training. You have to figure these things out for yourself.

Yeah, I get those moments every now and again. I'm fairly sure I've got one or two brewing in the back of my brain now, and when they emerge I'll get all excited that I finally get it, and get that wonderful "you only just got that now?" stare from my Sensei and seniors...
It's all part of learning and improving :)

WC_lun

Senior Master
Reaction score
Happens all the darn time for me. It is what keeps training fresh and exciting. I also have recieved the,"You just got that?" look from Sifu or my brothers and just have to smile. At least I got it! :)

pgsmith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Is it just me or does anyone else happen to do this also. Your instructor tells you time and time again this is important because of ... So you put that in the back of your mind for safe keeping and then years later LIGHT BULB !
Wait until you have the one that you think is a light bulb moment because it makes so much sense to you. Then the next time you get to practice with your instructor, he says "What the heck is that? That's not what it should be at all!" I've learned to be a bit leery of light bulb moments, and double check to make sure I really know what I think I know. :)

Supra Vijai

Black Belt
Reaction score
Four years into my training, the lightbulb FINALLY went off that Ukemi was "receiving the technique" and not just "rolls and breakfalls"... now admit it, that's embarrassing that it took that long! Recently, I've had another bit of advice from my instructor which is starting a similar brewing feeling as mentioned above, the filament is a bit cold though so the bulb isn't fully on just yet ;)