Too old....?

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I am beginning to believe the term too old is mostly in ones mind...and of course dependent on how well you have taken care of yourself to get to a point where folks call you old.

I was looking at various movies on the internet and that took me eventually to a movie I am sure some of us saw....Forbidden Kingdom, with Jet Li and Jackie Chan

Remember the guy who played the "Jade Emperor" Wang Deshun (born 1936)

Jade-Emperor-Deshun-Wang.jpg

He was in his 70s in that movie..... he is 80 now and in better shape than I am based on his workout regiment.

This is Wang today, at 80 and he has become a runway model

80-year-old-grandpa-00-696x365.jpg

Nowadays, his fitness regime is intense, lasting up to four hours a day with moves that really need to be seen to be believed.

Secrets of an 80 year old runway model

As she spoke, her father remained undeterred, completing a series of weight-lifting maneuvers. He waved the weights around in front of him, and then kind of segued into more wing-flapping. It was hypnotizing—he was nothing but eye-of-the-tiger.

“How many of these?” I asked, having stripped down to my T-shirt but daring to go no further.

“Two hundred.”

The more I look for stuff for old guys to keep in shape the more I am finding that I may be labeling myself before my time...and based on Wang.... I have no excuse to call myself old....

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Xue, you ain't old. You be vintage.

"Die young and leave a good looking corpse....bah, that's for pussies.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I grew up on Kung Fu movies and every movie had some old kung fu guy with grey hair that could that could kick butt. He was the toughest one in the movie and it usually took 2 or 3 younger people to beat him up. In the end, it was like the old guy was always in a 5 vs 1 situation where he beats up 4 out of 5 and only loses because it took 5 people to wear him down.

I didn't grow up seeing T.V. where old people were frail. So my mindset has always been that I'll get old but I don't have to "act old" or "feel old." and I wanted "to be like that when I get old." Even though it was T.V. and what I was seeing wasn't real. It still inspired me to not act old or feel old. Acting old is mental and feeling old is physical. So as long as i can stay healthy, exercise, and avoid deadly accidents and disease then I should be able to avoid feeling old.

Then during my teens and 20's I began to see more active seniors doing their thing and I think that's when it really hit home, that a person doesn't have to be a certain way when it comes to aging. My wife used to think that as well. She used to think that when she got to a certain age, that she had to be a certain way that was in her mind appropriate for someone of that age to be.

These days I'm like you. I intentionally search for old people doing "young things" to help serve as a reminder that "I'm not too old for this stuff."

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Xue, you ain't old. You be vintage.

"Die young and leave a good looking corpse....bah, that's for pussies.
Now I know what I want to leave behind in stone.

Latest Discussions