Tony Jaa's authenticity/experience

wee_blondie

Blue Belt
Reaction score
mantis said:
movies? i only saw one so far... so i have to disagree with you!
and no, i only liked it when i put it on 'mute', coz that lady there yells like crazy

Yeah, she did my head in too! But the movies I'm referring to are Ong Bak and Tom Yong Goong.

Do try to keep up! :rolleyes:

mantis

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
wee_blondie said:
Yeah, she did my head in too! But the movies I'm referring to are Ong Bak and Tom Yong Goong.

Do try to keep up! :rolleyes:
I didnt know that was released in the US. is it?

KmAc303

White Belt
Reaction score
Damian Mavis said:
You mean in Thailand right? There's thousands of muay thai practitioners in North America with absolutely no ring experience heh. Here in Thailand most people that do muay thai do it because it's their job... so ya they all have ring experience. But even Thailand has some people that just train and never fight. In Tony Jaas case I have no idea why he never fought.... maybe he's got enough money that he didnt have to... maybe he was a pro gymnast at one time and just did muay thai as an activity. Here only the poor fight. It's not a respectable job, people know that if you're fighting it's because you come from a dirt poor family. If you're a champion than it's respectable, but normal fighters are kind of like race horses. Foreigners of course are the exception, we are always doing wierd things so fighting is just one of many.

No idea if he's sparred. Probably. But here they spar very light, but usually don't wear shin pads.

Damian Mavis
Honour TKD Thailand

Im not sayin im right or anything, but maybe because he's really good and like the monks, he knows how to, just doesn't use it. He does all of his stunts himself, and the guys fast as hell. I bet given the situation, and with all his training he could own alot of people in the ring. Just recently saw Ong-Bak. That movie amazed me. Like one of my favorite now. Lol please don't flame me, im kinda new and don't know totally what im talking about. Just imo(in my opinion)

KmAc303

White Belt
Reaction score
AceHBK said:
Y is it that a person is not a great fighter unless they are in "big fights" or UFC /Pride/K1? If a person hasnt proved themselves to our satisfaction, they are justan "ordinary joe"? This is not meant at just tony jaa but many MArtists.
I completely agree with you, I bet there are lots of great fighters in other countries that train or secretly train, and are REALLY good, and just don't go out fighting and using it all the time, only when totally necessary.

Kensai

Black Belt
Reaction score
KmAc303 said:
I completely agree with you, I bet there are lots of great fighters in other countries that train or secretly train, and are REALLY good, and just don't go out fighting and using it all the time, only when totally necessary.

I'd agree with that too. This whole "if you don't fight in the UFC you're nothing" attitude annoys me intensely.

Mariachi Joe

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I like Tony Jaa's movies and to be able to pull of the stuff he does you need to be a great deal of athletic skill. I don't know if Tony's a good fighter or not and I don't care, his movies are cool and he seems like a nice guy so I'll watch his movies.

variance

White Belt
Reaction score
I'd agree with that too. This whole "if you don't fight in the UFC you're nothing" attitude annoys me intensely.

+1 for the truth.

UFC/K1 Pride fighters are NOT the best fighters or best martial artists in the world. Maybe the best that have chosen to compete. but not everyone does or chooses to.

First off. its a SPORT. ergo it has rules.

Secondly, Many martial artists who are great have other interests and things in their life besides desiring to prove themselves, get fame, make money, demonstrate their art through competition.

Because you don't fight doesn't mean you can't.

Not sure how accurate this documentary is but It looks legit.
Shaolin Temple Documentary, National Geographic.

a average UFC/Pride would take a average shaolin monk but mostlikely not one of the original combat/martial oriented ones before the mao cultural revolution.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mariachi Joe

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Jet Li would be a great example of someone who is a great martial artist, but has never been in a fight in his life, but he was China's national Wushu champion 5 years straight.

Shark

White Belt
Reaction score
Here only the poor fight. It's not a respectable job, people know that if you're fighting it's because you come from a dirt poor family. If you're a champion than it's respectable, but normal fighters are kind of like race horses. Foreigners of course are the exception, we are always doing wierd things so fighting is just one of many.

Only the poor fight, its not a respectable job and foreigners are the exception?
Yes, some children begin their career to make money for their parents and yes the best fighters come from the poorer areas. Spending your life training 6 hours a day to send money home to your parents each month. No respect?
There are many Thai kids that go to Bangkok in their school holidays to live in the boxing camps and fight to earn money for school and their family.
I think this is the case in most countries when it comes to professional fight sports?
Muay Thai is the national sport of Thailand and i think the average person in Thailand respects the tough life that they have chosen or perhaps that has been chosen for them. Its true that Muay Thai is not for the upper/middle class but the majority of Thai people dont fit into this group.
You are Thai and do Muay Thai because you are dirt poor and you do it if your a foreigner because you are weird?
Money does not earn you respect in my book.

Damian Mavis

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Shark, sorry man but you dont know what you are talking about. From the UP looking down, fighting is lower than cleaning lady. They treat their fighters like horses.... and thats not a good thing. You dont have to agree with it, you dont have to understand it, its just the way it is in Thailand. This is the most racist, prejudiced and unequal place I've ever been but thats just the way it is and I was describing Thai attitudes not my own. NO this is not the case like most countries...... sheesh, most countries OUTLAW little kids from fighting! They certainly dont make money betting on children bashing eachothers face in. You think its honourable and respectful that poor child fighters are making money to send back to their family? Gee HOOKERS here do the same exact thing (some of them underage).... they make money and send it back home to their family too, sometimes with their blessing, is that honourable too? Maybe it is. Nobody CHOOSES the tough life, man..... said just like a naive rich westerner. In Thailand you are either born with money or not, they dont choose to live a freaking life of poverty, nobody is stupid enough to do that. The people at the bottom feel like that is their lot in life and rarely do anything to bring themselves out of it because they feel that is just the way it is. I see it all day every day. Its not like Europe or North America where we choose our paths. For some reason this culture keeps people from elevating themselves or even wanting too. There are very few rags to riches success business stories here.

Thai people think we as foreigners are weird, not me. I said they think we are weird so it doesnt surprise them when a rich foreigner fights or trains muay thai for pleasure. Their culture is so completely different but they are getting used to the strange things we do even if they dont understand them. Strange to THEM, not me.

Money doesn't earn you respect in your book? Good for you, me too. BUT I WAS TALKING ABOUT THAILAND. Money is everything to them. Get it yet? heh. They dont think like us and you can hate it all you want but arguing with me about it isnt going to change anything here.

Where you under the impression I was talking about my own opinions? I'm Canadian for crying outloud, political correctness has been ingrained into my psyche since I was a baby...... shock of my life to move here and find out the rest of the world does not think like Canada.

Damian Mavis
Honour TKD Thailand

Shark

White Belt
Reaction score
I agree from the UP looking down this is the attitude.
Fighers lower than the cleaning lady?lots of people turn up to matches in stadiums, temple fairs etc as well as on Tv to watch Muay Thai not cleaning ladies.
In Thailand they have conscription to the army where everyone learns Muay Thai, do these normal Thai men have more respect for fighters or cleaning ladies?
My point is the average Thai person is quite poor by western standards and these people love their national sport and dont think of the boxers as low. From up looking down i agree with you.
My other comment was more to the fact that the best professional fighters often come from poor backgrounds all over the world.
I can see that you have been in Thailand long enough to see through a few of those smiles and i agree with some of what you have said about racism etc perhaps you have been in Bangkok too long?
Perhaps you got me on a bad day yesterday, im glad you dont hold the same views as those upper class Thais. Know doubt you deal with them more than me.
A naive foreigner i am not, i have spent a long time here and have a Muay Thai gym in Chiang Mai. We treat our boys well, they all have to go to school after they train in the morning so they have a future after boxing. We try to get the older boys to use their money to help siblings through school and set up their parents etc in some sort of business(even if its a market stall).
Yes i agree some gyms are ruthless the way they treat their boys, but not all. Look me up next time you are in Chiang Mai and come and train, im sure you will enjoy the hospitality and the training.
www.muaythaicamps.com

Damian Mavis

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I apologise for anything I said that was insulting. You're right, I interact with mostly upper caste and dont have alot of experience interacting with lower caste these past few years. Sounds snobby but due to business and lifestyle changes I just circulate in certain circles. It is a different world and I know that. But to me that is Thailand, it's pretty much all I see. Truthfully I rarely get out of Bangkok and have never been to most of the other places one should go to if living in Thailand (like ChiangMai). I'm just too busy, I keep wanting to but the time never seems to come available.

I'm very happy you have a camp and you look out for your fighters, that is a bit of a dream of mine. But it involves Tae Kwon Do too. I'd like to have a camp or 2 that takes in extremely poor kids and feed, house and foreign educate them. Give them all the skills they would get back in North America but also give them full time martial arts training. Make a camp of future world champions, the first for Thailand in TKD. Fighting muay thai would be involved too but would be secondary to the TKD goals. I have a professional muay thai fighter on staff as my assistant and he would be in charge of the muay thai aspects. Anyway, thats just a plan for down the road when I have more money or talk an investor into doing it. It would cost alot to properly house and educate these kids. I only want to do it if its done well.

Sorry for the negative start, nice to meet you.

Damian Mavis
Honour TKD Thailand

Shark

White Belt
Reaction score
No worries, nice to meet you.
I have spent plenty of time in Bangkok and have experienced many of the negative things that you have. Its always interesting to hear what some Thai people say about you in those circles if you let them think that you dont speak any Thai.
My experience and travel has shown me that often the less afluent people are the friendliest and most hospitable, not sure why. There is a Russian proverb "you see the real man when he gains weath", i guess money changes people?
Your goals are interesting and i wish you the best of luck. We will be bringing a Brazilian Top Team black belt from Rio this year who will learn Muay Thai and teach BJJ for a year. It will be interesting how many more wealthy Thais come or send their kids.
Come to Chiang Mai for Sorn Glarn, its the best place in Thailand to party for the New Year.

Latest Discussions