Tony Hillerman, 1925–2008

exile

To him unconquered.
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Tony Hillerman, who wrote a long series of brilliantly plotted novels featuring two Navaho detectives and the awe-inspiring Dineh homeland, died yesterday. In addition to its technical ingenuity, his work shows both a deep insight into the complexity of aboriginal American cultures—each very different from the others as well as from the larger dominant metropolitan culture they have to deal with—and the wide range of personalities and attitudes to be found in these remote, ancient communities, just as much as in any huge city. Hillerman fought for decades against long entrenched stereotypes of native American Indians... and in the end, I think he was victorious.

:asian:

Last edited:

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Rememberance of those who bring about change for the better is an important duty for us all :rei:.

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Reaction score
Tony Hillerman was a good writer, a good teacher and a good man who had a full and rich life.

He hosted a writer's conference in Albuquerque annually-I'm going to attend next weekend...too bad he won't be there. He'd been really sick the last couple of years, but kept going.

R.I.P. :asian:

Lynne

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Rest in peace, Mr. Hillerman.

I just finished Shapeshifter a few months ago and look forward to reading all of his books.

Latest Discussions